Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My case is a little a typical.

I am a Sri Lankan national by birth. I came to Australia for my Studies, and now am going to be Australian Citizen in couple of months.

Incidentally, I have received multiple job offers from USA. My siblings are in US and I am interested in going to US for work and will apply for US Green Card and may also apply US Citizenship.

My question is:
1. After becoming Australian Citizen, can I leave Australia and move to US?
2. Given that I would be a "Naturalized" Australian Citizen, would applying for US citizenship revoke my Australian citizenship?
3. Can I be Naturalized citizen of both Australia and US?

I know, Both Australia and US allow Dual Citizenships, but am not sure if the rules change for "Naturalized" citizens.

Thanks for your time.
Jisha Brown

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You have to be a green card holder for a good 5 years before you can become naturalized.

One of the negative things about becoming a US citizen while holding Australian citizenship is that you have to pay dual taxes. Many US citizens are renouncing their citizenship after expatriating because of this. The US government doesn't care if everything in Australia (or elsewhere for that matter) is expensive - if you make over a certain amount of money, they consider that taxable income, and you have to report it (and pay the tax on that income) even if you're not physically present in the United States.

For the most part, the US government doesn't encourage dual citizenship because there may potentially be a conflict of interest. But honestly, I think it's more problematic for people who are already US citizens to sign up for citizenship elsewhere because we kind of run the risk of having our citizenship revoked. lol

Read more here:
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

I hope the above helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.