Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am an Australian citizen. I began dating a French citizen in Australia 2 years ago.
I am currently in france (legally) on a long-stay visitor visa without work permit.

I have a couple of questions, as we are planning to get married in France while I am here (my visa runs out in mid September 2012).

1) If I marry a french citizen, am I allowed to work in france once I have the spouse visa? - we plan to live in france.

2) I have compressed discs in my back, and flying (especially the distance to Australia from France) is tricky and costly. I can't fly in economy, I need to be lying down. Am I absolutely required to fly back to Australia to get the spouse visa?
I have been told that if we can prove we have been living together for 6 months prior...this may not be necessary. Is this true? What sort of proof is required to show this 6 months of living together?

3) What is the livret de famille?

I have poured through the visa requirements etc on the sydney french consulate website. Information in regards to these questions is vague or non-existent.

I'm sorry for posting this as I am sure someone else has asked a million times the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Quenty

·
Administrator
51,902 Posts
This is a quick response - I'm just on my way out the door, but saw your post...

1) If I marry a french citizen, am I allowed to work in france once I have the spouse visa? - we plan to live in france.
You don't actually get a spouse visa - if eligible, you will change status on your titre de séjour. Once you have the changed titre (or carte) de séjour, you'll be able to work.

2) I have compressed discs in my back, and flying (especially the distance to Australia from France) is tricky and costly. I can't fly in economy, I need to be lying down. Am I absolutely required to fly back to Australia to get the spouse visa?
I have been told that if we can prove we have been living together for 6 months prior...this may not be necessary. Is this true? What sort of proof is required to show this 6 months of living together?
You may very well be able to simply change your status, if you can prove that you've been living together for 6 months or more. You may want to check with your local prefecture for details on how to accomplish this.

3) What is the livret de famille?
This is the French "family book" which records the marriage and the births of all children in the marriage, any divorce and ultimately, the deaths of each of the two spouses. It's a very important document here in France. If you get married here in France, you'll receive your livret de famille right after the ceremony at the mairie. Guard it carefully because you WILL need it in future!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
51,902 Posts
Thanks for the quick response!

I will visit the local prefecture to ask about their requirements for proving we live together.

Cheers,
Quenty
It's not just a matter of living together. Best to go for the change in status after you are married - it's then you have to prove at least 6 months of co-habitation. The usual sorts of proofs apply: your name on the lease, joint bank account, bills being sent to you at your common address, letter from the landlord saying you've been living there since xx.

You could even just get PACS'd, but the ability to change status isn't as sure as if you're married.

What you want to ask the prefecture about is what they would want from you in order to change your titre de séjour status to reflect your marriage to a French citizen. As long as you're on a long-stay visa, you ought to be able to do it - but only after you've been living together for six months.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.