Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I just want some help on how much pay I will take home in the hand after tax for an estimated $45,000 australian salary.

I've tried working it out with the tax brackets but I am awfully confused! Also tried to do it on the australian government tax website but am unsure of the "resident" question. I am a New Zealander and not sure what the tax department will class me as when I start working.

Any help would be so appreciated!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Renee:

Use the simple calculator at the ATO website and you are resident for tax purposes if you meet the conditions in the link:
Residency - overview

In your case I would say yes you are a resident for tax unless you do your work and leave in < 6 months from AU.

Hi there

I just want some help on how much pay I will take home in the hand after tax for an estimated $45,000 australian salary.

I've tried working it out with the tax brackets but I am awfully confused! Also tried to do it on the australian government tax website but am unsure of the "resident" question. I am a New Zealander and not sure what the tax department will class me as when I start working.

Any help would be so appreciated!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have to say I don't really get it too - even after going over it many times. Basically is it saying, "If you stay here and want to stay here, you're considered a tax resident?"

Coming from a rule-based environment (i.e. SG ;-) it's simple - over 183 days and you're a tax resident. Else stay beyond three years in total. Something like that :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for that =)

I found a calculator on msn.com.au under money - and you put in your salary and it works it out for you but not sure how acurate it is!

:cool:

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I would definitely rely on the ATO calculators rather than any others. It depends on how accurate you want to be :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts