·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new to this forum,
need suggestion..

finished my 2 years study on dec 2009,
looking to apply skilled migration visa

Am I able to claim 5 points for australian study requirement, as it almost 3 years since my completion.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Australian Study Requirement 5 Points : Quetions

I am creating this thread so that we can help each other, when its comes to claiming "Australian Study Requirement 5 Points".

As we are having lot of unclear and conflicting information available on DIAC website and other forums on internet.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
What is confusing you? Looks pretty clear to me.......

You can receive five points if you have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications for award through a course or courses taken at an Australian educational institution.

Your course or courses must:

be registered through the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
have been completed in a total of at least 16 calendar months
have been completed as a result of at least two academic years of study
have given all instruction in English
have been completed while you were physically in Australia
have been completed while you held a visa authorising you to study in Australia.
A course can be counted only once towards the Australian study requirement. Any failed course subject cannot be counted.

As evidence that you completed the course or courses, you need to provide:

a certified copy of a completion letter from your educational institution, including
the dates the course began and ended
the date the course requirements were met
the location of the campus where you studied
certified copies of course transcripts.
Two academic years of study is defined as 92 weeks of study in a course or courses registered by CRICOS. CRICOS determines a standard duration (number of weeks) for each course.

This is a measure of the amount of study you have completed, rather than of how long it took you to do it. The study does not have to be full time.

You can take longer to complete course work, but you will be credited with the number of weeks that CRICOS determines as a standard duration. For example, if it takes you 92 weeks to complete a course that CRICOS says should take 78 weeks, you will receive credit for 78 weeks only.

If you are given credit for prior learning, you could be exempt from taking a relevant course. An exempted course cannot be counted towards the Australian study requirement. Credit cannot be counted on the basis of study done either overseas or within Australia in a non-CRICOS registered course.

The 92 weeks of study could contribute towards the award of one of more acceptable qualifications. In this instance, the courses of study need not have been done within a 24-month period. It is possible to have a break between completing the first course and beginning the second.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My friend ACS assessment says :

Your skills have been assessed to be suitable for migration under 263111 (Computer Network and Systems Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code.

Your qualification has been assessed as follows:

Your Bachelor of Science from XYZ University completed April 2005 has been assessed as comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

The following employment after July 2009 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to 263111 (Computer Network and Systems Engineer) of the ANZSCO Code.

---------

Now as we are having drought of state nomination, my friend is planning to move Australia on student visa (573) and after two years will file for 190/189 visa.

In next 2 years she will do a diploma in Software Development/ Website Development (104 weeks CRICOS registered course) in south Australia (5 Points regional Australia).

DIAC Australian Study Requirement To Claim 5 Points:

Strings attached

Qualifications must be closely related to nominated occupation

The Australian qualification(s) you have completed must be closely related to your nominated skilled occupation. This means that the subject matter and the skills gained from your qualifications can be applied at the level you achieved them in your nominated skilled occupation. Some examples of this are:

1.Diploma in Business and Certificate IV in carpentry would be consistent with nominating carpenter as your occupation as you could find those qualifications genuinely useful in operating their own business as a carpenter.

2.Masters in IT and Certificate III in carpentry would not be consistent with nominating carpenter as your occupation as you have attained skills at a significantly higher level in a professional field and skills at that level will not have any practical application in working as a carpenter.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/2-year-study.htm

I have two question :

1. Is DIAC comparing 1 year+1 year Australian educations in context of two year Australian education in above text or any experience/nominated skilled occupation (Australian or Non-Australian) with 2 year Australian qualification?

2. If they are comparing with previous work experience , is Software Development/ Website Development diploma closely related to nominated skilled occupation (Computer Network and Systems Engineer)?

3. Can she claim 5 Australian Study points ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
In short she is having AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing with nominated skilled occupation "Computer Network and Systems Engineer" with 5 year ACS accessed exp .

If she do a diploma in Software Development/ Website Development (104 weeks CRICOS registered course), after two years can she claim 5 Australian Study Points ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
You are posting information regarding the wrong requirement. I posted the study requirement to get points for the 189/190 above. Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

The information you are posting is for the graduate visa.
Sorry but I don't get you :/

She is having AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing with nominated skilled occupation "Computer Network and Systems Engineer" with 5+ year ACS accessed exp .

If she do a diploma in Software Development/ Website Development (104 weeks CRICOS registered course), after two years can she claim 5 Australian Study Points under 189/190 ?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
To claim australian study points for a 189 the course doesnt need to be relevant. It just needs to be CRICOS 2 academic years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everybody,
I have been following this forum for a while and appreciate the available shares by everyone.
Moderators please forgive me if I broke any rules by reposting it here.

And this is my query about 2-year Australia study. I am planning to apply for 189 visa but confused about 5 points for 2-year Australian education. All of my listed awards are earned in Australia and delivered and assessed in English.

Firstly, I have a Master degree with registered CRICOS of 104 weeks from 20 July 2015 to 13 January 2017. My Master award stated that the course is equal to 96 units and 2-year study. I received the exemption of 24 units towards my previous bachelor degree in my home country. I am required to finish the degree by 60 units and are equal to 60/96*104= 65 weeks.

Secondly, from 11 July 2016 to 23 December 2016 (my last semester with Master degree), I earned the Diploma of Interpreting with registered CRICOS of 30 weeks.

So my study is 95 weeks in total and some agents said I can claim 5 points as satisfying the below requirements:
be registered through the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
have been completed in a total of at least 16 calendar months
have been completed as a result of at least two academic years of study
have given all instruction in English
have been completed while you were physically in Australia
have been completed while you held a visa authorising you to study in Australia.

But some said no due to the extended breakdown here homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Allocation-dates-for-General-Skilled-Migration-applications/2-year-study#study

So, am I eligible to claim 5 points for 2-year Australia study for visa 189 and 190?
Thank you for any suggestions and Merry Christmas.

Best,
Hong

1 - 10 of 10 Posts