Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 999 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:):):) Australian Skilled Independent 189 VISA in my view :):):)

:) Requesting to leave this thread in the general viewing area please than moving it to The Platypus Den,
as I will be providing few granular insights which will be helpful for newbies.
:)

Appreciate your cooperation in advance. Please ignore grammar mistakes; spelling mistakes.

Many suggested write a blog; I though its better to write in this forum itself as it helped a lot and its my way of giving something meaningful.

:spit::spit: Take a small cup of tea/coffee/beverage of your choice. :spit: :spit:​

Here we Go....

Now, this is called yet another stale story of GRANT in this forum.

Here, I am writing this. Not just the experience I went through but in the meantime giving some minor tips for which applicants tend to panic.

It all started in 2008/09; when one of colleague came back from a long vacation in the middle of the year. I think, he was on leave for couple of months. When he came back we were surprised to hear his story.

What you travelled to Australia searching for job. How? Why?

That’s when I first heard of Permanent Residency.

Ofcourse, he had got his grant; applied through an agent. He didn’t say much details about the process or how to proceed on getting VISA; except saying you pay the fee and the agent will help you. (It will be fun, if I hear the same comment again :D now ) Even, I was not interested in it at that time and he too was not responding properly. May he was bit frustrated of not getting the job during his two months hunt in Perth (I suppose not sure).

Years rolled, we reached 2013 and kid was born during start of 2013.
Two things prompted me to move out of India.
One, better opportunity for my kid (I hope so).
Two, pure ego, how come most of my friends travelled outside India and I am still sitting here without a single stamping in my passport.

Probably, I was not at the right place at the right time to get a travel. Missed out of many chances narrowly. Not even a revenue stamp in passport!!!

That’s when I got to know this forum and skimmed through it and later joined it.

Ok now what to do, where to start.

Applied for passport re-issue during mid-2013 (passport damaged in 2010), was bit sentimental in not to lose my native address. So, went to the PSK office in native state.

They just kicked me out (figuratively) in the front desk itself  simplest of questions the front desk personal asked, with a very pleasant smile:-
Q.What are you doing sir ? Ans: I am in so and so city, working in so and so company. Q.How many years are you working there, sir? (Again with a smile) For X number of years, I replied. Response: Then you have to get your passport re-issued from that City’s PSK not here. Tata bye bye see you.
Tried my best to convince that person, that I don’t have address proof there, what shall I do, this and that. Nothing doing, not here. You have to get it done where you are currently residing.
OMG, am I going to lose my native state address!!! Was bit worried about it.

Came back to office after couple of days, then one of colleague said boss, why are you so sentiee, just chill and apply here, in your current city, where you have been living for years now.

Even if I have to apply I need some kind of address proof right. I had none till that point of time apart from house registration and a DL with previous rental address. That’s when government was issuing voter ID cards left, right, and center; as some election season was about to come-by. One of my acquaintance said, just give your passport size photo and PAN card, you will get your voter ID card.

FYI: No bribes paid or asked for. Voter ID card was in hand after few weeks.

With this voter ID card and letter from employer went to register for Aadhaar card. Got it done and it came to home, say in a month’s time.
Last but not least, wife said, we are paying heavily on LPG private refill for years continuously. As usual, like any other married man, I was lazy to response for years together.

But, one fine day in mid 2013, when I opened my mail account, there was an ad sent from my apartment housing forum, “Looking for LPG connection, transfer” responded by calling Ad poster’s mobile number, say, within couple of minutes since ad was published. The Ad poster was surprised & shocked by the turnaround time for his Ad.
Negotiated the pricing and I was fine as long I get a subsidized LPG connection. Came to know he too was working in my organization. Finally, asked why you are transferring this connection. He said “I moving out of the country” Where? “AUSTRALIA”. WooooW!!! Was my response. I got someone who could guide me.

Unfortunately, he had finalized his travel plans and was travelling in a week or two from that day. Didn’t want to bother him much as he will be fully occupied in the move. However, he too guided me towards ExpatForum. Also stated the process is quite straight forward, you can do it of your own. (Ah I Forget to mention, I too waste 1.2K on the great assessment by one the so-called reputed migration agent in my city, few weeks back.) Don’t waste your money on agent. Spent an hour or so with him hearing the process, very kind of him to explain the process to me. However, most of things flew over my head. With lot more clarifications and questions :confused2: Still unsure!!!. :fingerscrossed:

Ok then said to myself, boss, lets take one step at a time. Whats next step, getting the LPG connection as address proof. Completed it.

Booked a slot in tatkal for passport re-issue for address change and spouse name endorsement, with all these proofs. (Voter ID, Aadhaar card, LPG connection book, letter from HR, Letter from bank and marriage certificate to add spouse name). Finished police verification on the same day and got the new passport within 5-7 business days.

Got the passport during last month of 3rd quarter, what next!!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Acs

After getting passport, things became dull. Just reading through the forum threads lazily on and off. Then came 2014. One of colleague who told don’t be sentiee on permanent address change, came-in as savior. He said I going to meet the HR to get a HR letter, will come with me as you too need to check on the reference or experience certificate right? I said why not. Went to the HR team and asked about this letter. Company HR team lead smiled and said, is it for immigration purpose. I said yes. HR said, No, we don’t provide for current employees, we provide this letter only for ex-employees or for people who have already put down their papers. I asked, Why so? Because most people leave the organization in few months after getting this VISA for whatever country they are trying to migrate.

Alarm bells started ringing. Almost all of my work experience is with my current company and if I don’t get the experience certificate, how am I going to get the ACS done!

Again, ExpatForum Zindabad, forum members Ki Jai, got the details on how to prepare the statuary declaration from fellow forum members.

The format I used is as below:

To whomsoever it may concern
This is to certify that Mr. XXXXXX is working with YYYYYYY Pvt Ltd, at ZZZZZZ-India as a full-time employee (40 hours minimum per week) from Ath July YYYY till date as Designation under ABCD business unit of YYYYYYYYY and has handled various global accounts such as ETC ETC ETC.
XXXXXX is reporting to me in ABCD business unit of YYYYYYYYY and I <Manager’s Name> am working as Manager / Team Lead / Any senior level in this division. Mr. XXXXXX is a direct reportee to me and I am his mentor for any architectural, design level discussions related to his job responsibilities.

His Roles & Responsibilities are as follows:

<<<Write down your R&R>>>

I recommend him and wish him for future assignments. He has been showing dedication towards his tasks. Due to recent HR policy change HR team was not able to provide roles & responsibilities for current employees.

Please don't hesitate to contact me, if you would like to know more about him.

Sincerely,
Manager's name: Manager or the signing person’s
Designation: Service Manager
Company name:
Address: Address of your current work location
Email: Official Manager or the signing person’s
Desk number: Manager or the signing person’s
Mobile: Manager or the signing person’s

The same format can be used to get the experience letter in official letter head.

I contacted previous companies HR team via FB & Linkedin, they mailed me my experience letter for few other previous companies where I worked.

Ok, now comes many questions for Newbie.

What is the value of the stamp paper in which I need to get this done?
Either use Rs.50/- or Rs.100/- denominated stamp paper.

Do I need to notarize this declaration?
Yes. Mentioning “signed in presence of me” With notary public’s seal and signature.

What if I left the organization, or its name changed and I don’t know how to get it?
Visit or call or get in touch via social media your previous organization and try to get Experience or R&R letter from them.

What if my previous company is closed?
Somehow get in touch with colleagues and get the Statuary declaration done. In this modern age, its easier get in touch with people with lot of social media stuffs. Give it a try. Try to include the signing person’s relieve letter too, along with the statuary declaration to prove the point that both were working in the same organization with overlapping period. It will make your case stronger. Instead of the using official mail ID & desk number use the personal mail ID of that signing person.

I am skeptical on my R&R, will it match the expectation of the ACS?
Just go through the ANZSCO-Code-Descriptions. It’s not rocket science and identify the job code matching yours.
I sometimes see, few new members posting their complete R&R and seek suggestion in the forum stating “which job code will be more suitable for me” Boss, you have to go through the official job code list and come to a conclusion which suits you better.

Point to note:

Job codes in SOL will be eligible for PR VISA sub-class 189. i.e you can work all our Australia and New Zealand.
Job codes in CSOL will be eligible for PR VISA sub-class 190 i.e state sponsored VISA, where-in you get 5 additional points from the nominated state but you are agreeing on moral agreement that you will stay in that particular state for the first two years.

What-if I entry the state once, stay there for few months and come out of Australia. Returning back to Australia after two or three years, am I now eligible for working anywhere in Australia?
I would say no, its 1st two years of your stay in that particular state. This helps in avoiding issues during later proceedings like Resident return VISA or Citizenship.
Having said that, I will explain further on this 190 sub-class topic later.

For the activity of reviewing your resume against ANZSCO codes and suggesting a job code for you to apply with, migration agents charge 1.2K INR. I would say 50:50. It’s up to you to use it or not.

Returning back to the story:

For ICT professions the assessing body is ACS. I guess there are other assessing bodies too for other professions, I am not aware of them. Sorry folks.

Spoke to my manager, boss, I need your support in getting the statuary declaration. He readily accepted based on the rapport with me, built over numerous years. Got it signed and notarized.

What other documents are needed?

Opinion differs, stating the list based on what I used.

1) Offer letter
2) Relieving letter
3) Pay slips one per two quarters, for earlier companies used 1 per company
4) Experience certificate or R&R letter either Statuary declaration or Official company letter head.
5) Passport copies
6) Aadhaar card & PAN card
7) Educational certificates – Degree certificate; Transcripts (nothing but consolidate mark sheet with course name written in the rear); Course completion certificate; Transfer Certificate; Provisional Certificate; School certificates like mark sheet & Transfer certificate.
8) Employee ID of current employer (I uploaded it ;) )

Notarize all these documents or you can use the color scan of the originals.

Upload all these in the ACS assessment link -- https://www.acs.org.au/ and click on “Migration Skills Assessment” -> “Online Application” -> “For Individual Skills Assessment Applications -Online Application Form” -> “New application”. (Disable pop-up blockers in your browser) after which choose “Skills (Qualifications and details of Experience must be supplied) $500 AUD” and proceed with further pages and uploads. Quite straight forward. No need to create a membership account.

Make sure you have supplied correct mail ID as all communications will be via e-mail.

Simultaneously, I did arrange for most of the other documents, arranged Income Tax returns; Form16s; PF statements; thinking that it is better to get all the required documentations. However, I was in for surprise in the coming months.

Will explain, what I faced in terms of delay.

During early 2014 ACS assessment usually took something like 2 months. People used to say ACS has done a great job in reducing the assessing period from 3 months to 2 months. If you see the trend as on 2015; ACS results are out in say 5 to 15 business days, most of the times if all your documents are clear. This saves a lot of time.

The ACS assessment usually has the following stages:
Stage 1: ACS Application received
Stage 2: Someone (may be Assessor or not) is checking whether it is complete and decides whether it goes to Stage 3 or 4
Stage 3: Incomplete, waiting for more Documents (Applicant would get e-mail asking for missing docs with time limit of 28 days- if you do not provide anything in these days – application would be processed as such)
Stage 4a (With Assessor): It’s assigned to an Assessor and now is in his/some queue.
Stage 4b (In Progress): Assessor is actually working on it
Stage 5: Finished, mailing out results.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depression Phase

I was in an impression that OK, while I wait for skill assessment, will compete IELTS side by side so that I can save time and cut down the entire PR process duration.

I was in for a shock. :(:(:(

1st shock, I need to score 7 in each band listening; reading; writing & speaking and NOT overall “7” to get 10 points! Unlike Canadian VISA process where-in points are given for each sections.

2nd shock, that we need to book a slot for the exam months ahead.

3rd shock,at the examination center, there were many candidates sitting for the exams for 3rd or 4th or 5th time to get desired scores.

It took me three attempts to clear IELTS with desired results, after going through the revaluation process. However, I was able to get the desired scores via PTE-A in the first attempt to get 10 points for English proficiency. I prefer going for PTE-A than IELTS.
Lost primarily in writing section.

Went through a phase of depression and stressful nights, as I failed to clear IELTS after several weeks and months of preparation. Soon my better half started doubting whether we will be able to complete this PR process as I was not able to achieve the much needed 10 points from English exams.

From May 2014 till Dec 2014; it was a dreadful period. Having said that, with the addition of new automated English exams, life has become easier for many applicants to clear this roadblock with ease. This is my opinion, some might say IELTS is better than PTE-A. I agree to disagree :)

In those eight months, I missed several things in life. Ended up spending quite a bit of money and lost lot of black hairs which turned grey, may be due to stress.

I wouldn’t say PTE-A is a cake walk; however, after going grilling requirement of IELTS thrice; this PTE-A format was quite easier to crack. Speaking is an area to be aware of.

PTE-A is like watching an Indian movie with utmost concentration without interval. Although there is an optional break which candidates can opt for.

Coming-up detailed write-up on PTE-A sections.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray of Hope :) PTE-A Vs IELTS

As on today, IELTS is not desired by many of the applicants probably, due to the so-called The Great 0.5 scam and host of other reasons as stated below.

PTE Vs IELTS :

Differences:
1) Easy to book the exam slot. In a week in advance will do, I suppose. For IELTS atleast a month or two is needed in major Indian cities.
2) Results are out within 24 hours, but center folks commit 5BDs max; however recently we found few members posting there was a delay of week. However, almost 80-90% of people get results fairly quickly.
3) Enabling skills scores gives us the areas where we might need to improve upon; in-case results are not to the band we required.
4) Fully automated, no subjective corrections like IELTS in speaking & writing sections.
5) No need to use pencil and paper. We end-up spending quite a bit of time erasing during written section. As most of us are used to using a system, editing while writing essay is easy. Which enables us to complete essays in PTE-A format in around 17-18 minutes.
6) Reading section in PTE-A, we need to understand the given para to identify the answer. Unlike in IELTS where we fish for answers after reading the questions.
7) Writing is scored based on a candidates writing and listening section’s performance.
8) Negative marking in reading and listening modules under multiple choice multiple answers. Just to avoid candidates selecting all the options.
9) Some people might feel speaking into a microphone rather weird (I am also one among that group) nonetheless its manageable. Also few have stated neighboring candidates voice disturbs during speaking modules. I don’t think so, at least for me. Took the exam in a full house of 6-7 people.
10) You can book an emergency slot for giving PTE-A exams by paying additional fee, in-case a person wants to give exam in a day or two depending on their need. Actually the turn-around time is pretty quick
11) A candidate can give a mock exams, by booking in Pearson site. Scoring are done like actual exams, this would enable candidates to identify where do they stand and areas to improve before taking the exam for real.

I might have missed some more points, but this is strictly my opinion and you may differ.

Comparison on the scores

IELTS PTE-A
9.0; 86-90
8.5; 83-85
8.0; 79-82
7.5; 73-78
7.0; 65-72
6.5; 58-64

Go through PTE-A threads in the forum to gain more in-depth and multiple point of views.

Enough of venting my opinion on IELTS. As an applicant, go through each of the accepted English exams, and choice the format which suits you the most. :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PTE-A Exam Day !!!

It was during 1st week of Nov 2014 that I came to know about PTE-A, at that time PTE-A was yet to be accepted by DIBP. However, many early birds went ahead and gave the exams. Their updates and feedbacks really boosted my confidence.

PTE-A was expected to be accepted by Nov 3rd or 4th week and on Nov 23rd or 24th it was finally accepted officially. The very next day, I booked the PTE-A exams for Dec’14. I didn’t want to take the burden of clearing English exams into 2015. Do you know, during Nov’14, I had booked IELTS for the 4th time and the slots I got was late Jan’15 :(

As I grew confident in cracking PTE-A and achieving desired scores, cancelled the 4th attempt IELTS slot.

Gave a mock PTE-A exam and it served as immense confidence booster upon seeing the mock results. How to do mock exams? Check the Pearson official site, please. Or contact the examination centers in your city to gain more information about it.

Then came the actual exam day and here are my experience on that day.

My PTE-A exam day experience:

Got up very late in the morning as I was not able to sleep properly in the night. Result, I missed my alarm and when I got up I was ALARMED. Just 70mins to go before the start of the exam and I need to travel some 20KM-25KM to reach the exam center from my home. Gone CASE!!! TV was switched on India Vs Aussie Boxing Day test match was going on, just when I came to terms about the delay, Virat hit his 9th test hundred and the summary music played with recap visuals of that session served as an inspiration for me.

Quickly gathered myself and took my bike instead of car to avoid slow moving traffic. Lucky me !!! all the signals I came across were GREEN till MG road, probably I crack opened the traffic signal algorithm. Reached the exam centre with 26mins as lead time. My buddy bike rocks even though he was 10 years old !!! without proper maintenance. Ate the apple which I had carried.

Then the obvious wait started. There were 6 of us as it was a Sunday. The actual formalities reminded me and others that we were still in our elementary schoolings. The lady acted as if she was a 1st standard teacher and we didn’t do our homework!!! In-fact she made a fellow candidate to sign ten times, if I am not wrong, exactly as per the passport which was issued some 7-8 years earlier. This brought in flash memories of school life, my teacher saying write A; write A; write A; write A properly.!!!!

I guess she was bit upset to work on a Sunday. My name was called and she found some reasons to question me. It helped all us (fellow candidates) to break the exam stress as we were laughing silently on this lady’s behavior, facial sarcastic looks at each of us and the tone. The exam mood became little lighter.

I was worried about speaking section, whether other candidate's voice would disturb me ?, that wasn’t the case. It was quite manageable. Increase the volume of the headphone to 70-80% that would be the optimal level to negate other voices at the same time not hurting your ears.

Check whether the given pen is writing properly. It is vital as my pen stopped writing during my listening section and I had to face few difficulties. If possible try to get from the assigned person a spare pen.

Will share further write-ups shortly from now, on individual sections.

I hope, I am not sounding boring, so far :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PTE-A section level review

Here are my comprehensive write-up on PTE-A exams and individual sections in each module based on my experience. Note, during Nov & Dec’2014 there were many applicants who easily cleared PTE-A; reason might be they had already prepared for IELTS for months together.

So, I would suggest applicants who haven’t given IELTS do not to take PTE-A as something easier and don’t take it lightly or for granted.

Speaking:

Read aloud:

Use the given 30-40 seconds to read through the text and identify the difficult words were you might struggle. Pay attention to flow of the sentences such as full stop, commas. Try to read the sentence like a news reader with some intonation and purpose. Quite straight forward. We get around 7-8 questions in this section.

Repeat Sentence:

Initially, when I was preparing for PTE-A exams this section seemed overwhelming. However, in the actual exams expect something like 8-10 words. Not very difficult. Just concentrate on the sentence and try to repeat as many words in-order as possible without any major pauses. We get around 8-10 questions in this section.

Describe image:

This section was daunting for me as there were two much information to comprehend in a short span of time (35-40 sec) before you start speaking. Try to speak about most of the information from the image in an organized manner than sharing (all/most of) the information in an unorganized manner. We get maps, graphs (run-chart; bar graphs; pie-chart; trend graphs etc). We get around 6-8 questions in this section.

Re-tell Lecture:

Yet another demanding section. Luckily we get around 2-3 questions in this section. The image gives a bit of idea about the narration. Try to note the key points and don’t waste time on examples too much. Understand the theme of the lecture and try to start with that. Something like Topic sentence, references or examples if any and conclusion in 40 secs.

Answer a short questions in one ore few words:

There are close to 10 questions. Few questions are straight forward. Like if time period before noon is called ante meridian, what is the time after noon called. But, there are few questions where you might need to go through a given picture which might vary from process flow diagram or a chart or whatever… to answer the short question. Just try to see and understand the give picture on the toe and answer. You should be OK.

Writing:

Now comes the nightmare section. Why nightmare ?! because there are many in this forum who have faced repeated nightmares due to IELTS writing experience.

Essay:

The difficulty is on-par with IELTS for essay writing but here in PTE-A we are going to type in a system than writing using a pencil. So, erasing, correcting and re-ordering of the text will be much easier. Trust me, it saves lot of time. That’s the reason we are able to write around 250+ words in PTE-A even though the given time is just 20mins. Most of the times the essays are something like give your opinion and do you agree or disagree. Try to follow Ryan (IELTS-Argumentative essays) writing videos from youtube. That will be of great help.

Summarize text:

The trick is to write in ONE sentence. Try using transition words. Strategy would be to understand what the given para is trying to convey. Be objective, don’t dwell over finer example. Try to use as many own words as possible. A sample would be – “Agriculture has fallen into a debt; loans; high cost for seeds and manual labor, resulting more barrowing and loans and further example stating bad shape of farming and farmers relative to debt; barrowing etc etc” – Agriculture is caught-up in a vicious cycle; that should suffice. We get around 2-3 questions in this section.

Reading:

Multiple-choice, choose single answer:

We get around two to three questions. Might be little bit tricky however read with purpose and don’t read the options before going through the text. This strategy helped me. Understand the purpose of the para and match the summary sentence. Difficult ones would be inferring the paradox of a given sentence from the para. Having said that, this section is OK to handle. Watch out for the timer, do not spending too much time.

Multiple-choice, choose multiple answer:

Same as above. But, try to select only the most appropriate answers as there is a negative marking for this section. Most of the times two options will be correct out of the five given option.

Re-order paragraphs:

I got a bit easier stuff. While practicing I struggled big time in this section. Also this section, if I am not wrong has more marks under direct reading section. Strategy would be to identify the topic sentenceand they just follow the flow of the message this para is trying to convey. Got three questions in this sections. Couple of questions with four sentences to be placed in order and one question with just three sentence to order. Hopefully, I have done all of them correctly. Pretty straight forward, if you identify the topic sentence. OK, what is a TOPIC sentence? Sentence which can stand alone and looks like a statement then having some kind of reference or relation to other sentence in the given list. Sometimes a concluding sentence would also sound similar; however, major difference b/w topic and concluding sentence is that conclusion sentence try to recommend or predict or draws a conclusion.

Fill in the blanks: (From Drop-down option or Drag and drop)

Yet another easy section, I would say. (My results are yet to come so I will not go over the board). Strategy should be not to see the drop down options. Read the para and understand the purpose and meaning it is trying to convey. Post-which you will know what word to fill-in even without seeing the drop-down options. Now, if you check on the available options, it will make life easier.

Manage your time carefully for reading sections.

Taking optional break, its upto each individual. I took the break.

Listening

Summarize spoke text:

Listen attentively to what the lecture is trying to convey. Strict to the word limits. Use synonyms and more effective words to convey the message. OK let me use the same example: “Agriculture has fallen into a debt; loans; high cost for seeds and manual labor, resulting more barrowing and loans” – Agriculture is caught-up in a vicious cycle; that should suffice. We get 2 questions in this section.

Then comes identify the missing word replaced by BEEP, select the correct summary for the lecture from the given options, multiple choice single answer, for all these sections listen carefully and take notes, you will be able to identify the answer quite easily.

Highlight incorrect word:

Skim through the text before the audio starts and identify key words as sign posts. Move the cursor as the audio begins and identify the wrong words. If you miss the audio the sign post words which you have identified earlier will help you regain your attention and will bring you back on track.

Write from dictation:

The sentences are 8-10 words in-length, write in the provided notebook because I am sure it will be difficult to type in system as the audio plays. Its more like a media persons taking notes during a press conference. You should be FINE!!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monkey is OFF my shoulder!!!

The very next day results came and these were my reactions:

After donating few 10Ks to IELTS charity foundation; (which actually doesn’t do any charity of any sort) finally, I have cleared one of the major hurdle in this VISA process.

The time and effort and stress spent on IELTS could have been used somewhere else (8 months & 3 attempts). Missed out on several family functions, friends gather-up, was preparing again and again but end result was without improvement especially for writing. I got 6.5 in IELTS even after three attempts, even after making hell lot of changes as per their requirement. In PTE-A, my writing score is 88/90.

My target was 65 marks nothing more nothing less.

With assistance from this thread and few forum members I was able to get the pending 10 points from English proficiency to reach 65 points, which will make me eligible to apply for 189.

My Scores:

Listening : 81
Reading : 79
Speaking : 70 (May be, I didn't describe the graphs and images properly)
Writing : 88

Now, have to set my sights on how to apply for EOI.

Keep up the same work, so that we could save lot of innocent folks who might fall prey to PENCIL & PAPER test.

Few Reasons:

• Too much head time needed to book a slot. Atleast 2 months ahead in major cities.
  • They release the results after several weeks. 3-4 weeks.
  • Correction is subjective, which is their major tool to reduce marks for candidates in speaking & writing areas
  • There is rumor doing around that they purposefully reduce marks in one of the section especially under GENERAL exam category. (May be that’s the reason DIAC looked to add additional testing format like PTE-A which is fully automated)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Mathan

Appreciate ur good effort and good idea. Its going to provide a lot of clarity/help/insight to all new aspirants who set their target to achieve an Australian PR. I myself have done this kind of a post once i succeeded in the PTE first attempt and felt happy that i was able to contribute a bit to this forum. In one of the other threads u had responded for my question on ICT Systems Analyst ceiling cap and further openings to expect from July 2015. I am anxiously waiting to know the future of ICT Systems Anlayst (EOI lodged already on 18th Mar'15) and to achieve the PR Visa. Once i get the visa (hopefully) i would definitely share my experience here in this forum.:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Nicemathan,

First of all. Thanks for sharing your experience.

All the best for your future success.

Reactions: nicemathan

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EOI Submission

Submitting EOI is one of easiest part and at the same time need to take caution while updating the details.

SkillSelect

Click on Submit EOI, quite straight forward.

Points to note, Enter all your experience and mark the years not considered by ACS as NOT relevant.

Sample, ACS report:

The following employment after July 2009 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled level and relevant to 261111 (ICT Business Analyst) of the ANZSCO Code.

Then you need to mark employment from August 2009 as relevant.

What if I had worked in the same organization, say, since 2005, then you will have to break the employment as two parts.

2005 to July 2009 one separate entry and mark it as not related or not relevant.
Make one more entry stating post July 2009 i.e from August 2009 till date as related to the job code.

Provide ACS reference number; for PTE-A we need to provide the registration ID as reference.

There is another couple of question most of the time applicant are not sure how to answer.

Are there any family members the client would like to include in a future application? Mark it as YES (If you are single and don’t intent to take your parent then mark it as NO)

If selected as YES for the above enter the migrating family members along with their passport and educational details.

Would the client be accompanied by the client's partner in a future application? Mark it as YES (If you are single again mark is as NO)

If selected as YES for the above enter the non-migrating family members who might be migrating later. FYI – Even if they are not migrating with you if included you need complete medicals and PCC for them after paying the visa fee

Now, there are several threads which helps you to understand how to add your parents to the application. Do go through them. As I am not 100% sure of the documentation involved.

At the end of EOI when you will get points breakup. Make sure your total work experience points are of relevant years only.

Note, there will not be any kind of acknowledgement for submitted EOI. So, don’t panic.

Now, wait for the invite. Invite rounds are held twice per month. Skillselect will give more information on the invitation round’s dates.

There are clear documentation in the following link on EOI, try to go through them.

SkillSelect

• Invitation rounds
  • Occupation ceilings
  • And many more.

Ok, now some more clarifications:

What if I wrongly entered details, can I update the EOI? Yes, you can update the details till you get invite. Note, in-case the changes you are going to make is going to alter the points, then your effective date of submission will change to date in which you made the updates.

If the updates you are making is not going to change the points then don’t worry your effective date of submission will not change.

In-case you are invited you will get a mail with the following subject line.

Their systems follow Australian time so convert that to your time zone and look for invitation emails. Usually this translates to around 1830 hours to 1930 hours IST in India, one day before stated date in skiilselect invitation rounds date.

Usually the invite is valid for two months within which you need to lodge your visa application.

Sometimes, applicants might have made a big blunder in updating the correct details in their EOI, but failed to notice it and got the invite !!! I would say if that’s the case, don’t lodge your visa application. Leave your EOI invite to expire and your EOI will be again back to round robin or submit a fresh EOI with the correct details of-course this time. Most of times applicants fail to decode the ACS assessment on experience properly. That’s why I gave the ACS reference above.

Avoid over claiming points.

“You have received an invitation to apply for a visa in SkillSelect”

Nothing major in the mail, with just the login page url.

Dear

Congratulations

You have received an invitation to lodge a Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189) (Permanent) visa application

To view your invitation please click on the link below to be directed to the SkillSelect login page.

SkillSelect

Regards
SkillSelect System Administrator

Login to skillselect and in your profile click on correspondence tab then under invitations click on view correspondence to see further details about your invite. It will give the last date within which an application needs to be submitted.

Hurray!!! You got the invite, now whats stopping you. Go ahead and lodge your VISA application.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Eagerly waiting for next part of story @ nicemanthan

A big thumps up to you!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
EOI Invite Came :D its gonna be cake wake

EOI Invite Came :D its gonna be cake wake :eyebrows:

Again twist in the tale.

Infact I spoke with one of our forum members, to watch out his mail box and let me know once invite is released so that I can check mine, as on that particular day, I was running from one meeting to other.

Got my invite within 5 days of submission, I felt really happy for it.

Why so, this is called relative happiness, where-in you see people waiting for several months for invite here I am getting it in less than a week. There are few I saw who got invite on the same itself.

Got my invite on Jan 7th IST evening time.

Post-which applied for my kid's passport and wife's re-issue updating the current address and endorsing my name in her passport. Already her name was endorsed in my passport.

Spent a week or so on it.

Then came the unexpected delay.

Travel Card Fundaaa....

Went from one bank to another HDFC; Axis; Bookmyforex; western Union; no luck.

All them asked for VISA copy and Air Tickets details, where will go for it.

In the meantime, one of my friend's friend was in Aus and he accepted to pay the fee for me. Upon checking further his credit limit was lower than my requirement. So, that option was ruled out.
Then one of my spouse’s friend who already got his PR agreed to get a travel card for us. However, when the forex agent stated that per a person can load only $10K AUD, he backed off as he was travelling very shortly.

By this time, we had lost almost one month post invite.

Later one of my friend whom I came to know during my 1st IELTS exams offered to help. He had earlier went to ICICI bank to get the DD/Cheque made in Canadian Dollars for his migration plans to Canada. During that time he got to know the forex lead at that branch. So, he stated come on lets go and check with him once before moving to the credit card option, which will have slightly higher surge charge.

Thanks to him for agreeing to come with me to the bank on weekend early morning.

Olaaa, they agree to provide the travel card without much enquire. While filling the form there was column seeking your ICICI account number. I said I don’t have an account. They stated we need an account. I readily accepted to open the account.

Money was transfer to the newly opened account.

Points to note: For Indian saving account holders while transferring the funds.

1) IMPS has a limit of 30K INR per day
2) NEFT account payee, needs 24 hours to get activated post which till 15L INR can be transferred in a single day.
3) RTGS as per the banking folks is the most safest; again it also takes account payee addition 24 hours to get activated and efficient mode of money transfer, limit upto 50L INR (Not very sure on this part)

As I had opened the account and applied for Forex travel card during a weekend. It was little bit delayed and got the card only on next Friday Feb 20th upon returning from the bank paid the VISA fee immediately.

Post that notice the bank guys have given be a older stock card which was bound to expire in few months. Called them and clarified, what will happen to the remaining amount which is still in account. They stated you will get a new card and amount will be automatically transferred.

Networking really saved some good INR K’s for me but ended up losing quite a bit of time after the invite.

Just a information on the surge charges involved.

If you pay for your visa application by credit card, a surcharge will apply. The current surcharge rates are:
• Visa and MasterCard* - 1.08%
• American Express and JCB - 1.99%
• Diners Club International - 2.91%

* The surcharge will also apply to debit cards when making payments online.

Pricing Estimator

ICICI Single currency forex travel card and paid the fee. I as per latest trend even muti-currency forex cards also works I suppose.

In-case, if anyone is facing issues in getting a travel card. Here are some of the tips:

1) Don't hesitate to open an account with ICICI/HDFC/Axis bank.

2) Then get internet banking enabled.

3) Add new account to your payee list preferably NEFT/RGTS, it takes 24 hours cooling period to get activated.

4) For NEFT the upper limit is 15L per day

5) Do a trail transfer using IMPS to the new account and then transfer the remaining fee amount to the new account. Or you could drop in a cheque while opening the account the bank guys will help you. It is not necessary to inform them that you are going to use the card for online VISA payment. Say them that you will travel in few weeks from now.

6) Fill-in all application for forex card and ask them to book a deal. Select personal or leisure travel purpose. Just passport is enough xerox of it and originals, along with address proof if possible. Bargain for some reduction in exchange rate.

7) Once the money is loaded to forex card, you will get message regarding the same.

8) Post which check the forex welcome kit and enable ECOM option

9) I am not sure of HDFC/Axis, but most likely it might be the same like ICICI. Use the link provided in Online/e-Commerce Transaction section and login.

10) After logging in, click on E-COM section link from right hand side.

11) Then click on Activate for 24 hours online transaction (radio button) Then from drop down menu select activate and enter entire amount loaded in the card in limit section (text bar)

12) After doing this your card will be enabled for online transaction.

<<Note next section I will explain how to fill-in the VISA application 17 page, then post which these three points will sound more relevant.>>

13) Login to your IMMI account, check all your application details and click submit. Your application will be locked. (No further changes can be made)

14) Enter the card details. Name will not be there in the card, (don't panic) enter your name if you had applied for the forex card, if not the name of the person who had applied for the card. Follow basic steps like any other online payment.

15) You are through.

Having said the above, today if someone is asking how to pay the VISA fee, I would say spend a week on travel card, if not go for Credit Card as the lost time and banker's push backs is not worth the money saved by using Travel Card. Especially for Single applicants because there will not be much difference.

I hope this helps, a bit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
HI

EOI Invite Came :D its gonna be cake wake :eyebrows:

Again twist in the tale.

Infact I spoke with one of our forum members, to watch out his mail box and let me know once invite is released so that I can check mine, as on that particular day, I was running from one meeting to other.

Got my invite within 5 days of submission, I felt really happy for it.

Why so, this is called relative happiness, where-in you see people waiting for several months for invite here I am getting it in less than a week. There are few I saw who got invite on the same itself.

Got my invite on Jan 7th IST evening time.

Post-which applied for my kid's passport and wife's re-issue updating the current address and endorsing my name in her passport. Already her name was endorsed in my passport.

Spent a week or so on it.

Then came the unexpected delay.

Travel Card Fundaaa....

Went from one bank to another HDFC; Axis; Bookmyforex; western Union; no luck.

All them asked for VISA copy and Air Tickets details, where will go for it.

In the meantime, one of my friend's friend was in Aus and he accepted to pay the fee for me. Upon checking further his credit limit was lower than my requirement. So, that option was ruled out.
Then one of my spouse’s friend who already got his PR agreed to get a travel card for us. However, when the forex agent stated that per a person can load only $10K AUD, he backed off as he was travelling very shortly.

By this time, we had lost almost one month post invite.

Later one of my friend whom I came to know during my 1st IELTS exams offered to help. He had earlier went to ICICI bank to get the DD/Cheque made in Canadian Dollars for his migration plans to Canada. During that time he got to know the forex lead at that branch. So, he stated come on lets go and check with him once before moving to the credit card option, which will have slightly higher surge charge.

Thanks to him for agreeing to come with me to the bank on weekend early morning.

Olaaa, they agree to provide the travel card without much enquire. While filling the form there was column seeking your ICICI account number. I said I don’t have an account. They stated we need an account. I readily accepted to open the account.

Money was transfer to the newly opened account.

Points to note: For Indian saving account holders while transferring the funds.

1) IMPS has a limit of 30K INR per day
2) NEFT account payee, needs 24 hours to get activated post which till 15L INR can be transferred in a single day.
3) RTGS as per the banking folks is the most safest; again it also takes account payee addition 24 hours to get activated and efficient mode of money transfer, limit upto 50L INR (Not very sure on this part)

As I had opened the account and applied for Forex travel card during a weekend. It was little bit delayed and got the card only on next Friday Feb 20th upon returning from the bank paid the VISA fee immediately.

Post that notice the bank guys have given be a older stock card which was bound to expire in few months. Called them and clarified, what will happen to the remaining amount which is still in account. They stated you will get a new card and amount will be automatically transferred.

Networking really saved some good INR K’s for me but ended up losing quite a bit of time after the invite.

Just a information on the surge charges involved.

If you pay for your visa application by credit card, a surcharge will apply. The current surcharge rates are:
• Visa and MasterCard* - 1.08%
• American Express and JCB - 1.99%
• Diners Club International - 2.91%

* The surcharge will also apply to debit cards when making payments online.

Pricing Estimator

ICICI Single currency forex travel card and paid the fee. I as per latest trend even muti-currency forex cards also works I suppose.

In-case, if anyone is facing issues in getting a travel card. Here are some of the tips:

1) Don't hesitate to open an account with ICICI/HDFC/Axis bank.

2) Then get internet banking enabled.

3) Add new account to your payee list preferably NEFT/RGTS, it takes 24 hours cooling period to get activated.

4) For NEFT the upper limit is 15L per day

5) Do a trail transfer using IMPS to the new account and then transfer the remaining fee amount to the new account. Or you could drop in a cheque while opening the account the bank guys will help you. It is not necessary to inform them that you are going to use the card for online VISA payment. Say them that you will travel in few weeks from now.

6) Fill-in all application for forex card and ask them to book a deal. Select personal or leisure travel purpose. Just passport is enough xerox of it and originals, along with address proof if possible. Bargain for some reduction in exchange rate.

7) Once the money is loaded to forex card, you will get message regarding the same.

8) Post which check the forex welcome kit and enable ECOM option

9) I am not sure of HDFC/Axis, but most likely it might be the same like ICICI. Use the link provided in Online/e-Commerce Transaction section and login.

10) After logging in, click on E-COM section link from right hand side.

11) Then click on Activate for 24 hours online transaction (radio button) Then from drop down menu select activate and enter entire amount loaded in the card in limit section (text bar)

12) After doing this your card will be enabled for online transaction.

<<Note next section I will explain how to fill-in the VISA application 17 page, then post which these three points will sound more relevant.>>

13) Login to your IMMI account, check all your application details and click submit. Your application will be locked. (No further changes can be made)

14) Enter the card details. Name will not be there in the card, (don't panic) enter your name if you had applied for the forex card, if not the name of the person who had applied for the card. Follow basic steps like any other online payment.

15) You are through.

Having said the above, today if someone is asking how to pay the VISA fee, I would say spend a week on travel card, if not go for Credit Card as the lost time and banker's push backs is not worth the money saved by using Travel Card. Especially for Single applicants because there will not be much difference.

I hope this helps, a bit.

As usual great job Mate....Very useful for everyone....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
189 VISA Application

The mantra is quite simple, be truthful while filling the VISA application.

Click on the APPLY VISA tab in your EOI profile. Most applicants will be nervous to click this button. Go for it mate. You have earned it to reach this stage in your process. :):):)

It will take to you immi.gov.au URL where you need to create an immi account. Once immi account is created, in the first page your VISA application will be mapped i.e 189 subclass VISA. Click on the TRF alpha numeric number and start filling in the 17 page application.

Sometime, you might not see your application, give it sometime as this site tend to act weirdly. No panic. Try to login and check after few hours.

I am not going to tell page-wise. Nonetheless, there are few things to note.

In-case you have alternative/changes in naming conventions of your name, do mention it. I stated that, in few of my documents I was referred with a short form of my father’s name as initials. Better to mention. Also for ladies, if there is a name change after marriage do mention it here.

Get an affidavit for this, I will share the sample which I had used, in this thread. Thanks one other Forum member who gave it to me.

You need to select YES for the relevant number of overseas experience, if you have relevant / accepted work experience years as per ACS results. Here, the context of the question is any country other than Australia is overseas.

It’s very similar to EOI, one major difference is, it will ask for few detailed questions on overseas travel like place of stay; duration; country for all the applicants. Try to give as much information as possible.

I suppose, you also need to mention a brief on your duties in each companies. 300 word limit, try to enter only the important points.

In-case you want to include your parents details, i.e currently they are not migrating but later part they might migrating. Then in that case, you need to provide their PCC and medicals too, bear in mind.

I am not sure of how to include parents in the application and what evidence is needed. However, there are several members in this forum who have done it and just give a simple search in this forum, you will get tons of view on it.

Suppose, you are using agent for your case and you want to tracker your application. Try to get the Transaction Reference Number (TRN): from your agent for your application. It’s a 10 digit alpha numeric. Click on import application after creating an Immi account and import your application, using the import application option.

Caution : Don’t edit anything in your application, just view the application. To check whether your agent has uploaded all the evidence documents you have shared to him/her for upload.

Screenshot of the Immi account front page is added as attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interactive Guide Interactive Guide – ImmiAccount

If you need an official reference material for application lodging here it is.

With detailed screenshots and narrations. - Interactive Guide Interactive Guide – ImmiAccount

There might be few changes post site up-gradation, its more or less the same fundaa.

Enjoy going through the 46 page document, might be handy for few.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SD on alternate names

Statutory Declaration Affidavit on alternate names

The format which I had used. Added attachment of the same.

I, <YOUR NAME> born on DD/MM/YYYY, S/o or W/o or H/o <NAME of the relative> residing at <ADDRESS as per passport>, solemnly affirm and state on oath as follows:-

I hereby declare that I am residing at the above mentioned address.

I hereby declare that my name is <Given Name> <Sur/Family Name> as per my passport (Passport number).

However, my name has been spelt in my documents as follows:

<What ever alternate names or initials used>

The above names mentioned belong to only one person and that person is me.

I hereby declare that if anty litigation arises regarding the above said matter I will be held responsible. What is stated above is true ad correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Place: <Your sign>
Date: DEPONENT

Notary seal and signature mentioning SWORN TO BEFORE ME and official's seals.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Ramesh, hopefully it helps newbie ;) :)

Trying make their life easier a bit. Thats it.

The process above couldn't have been any further detailed. Great going. Keep it up.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Document Upload in Immi account

Organizing your documents:

I used the following, if it suits your case, go for it.

Point to note : Each applicant can upload 60 files with each not exceeding 5MB.

Suppose, you have uploaded the document in the wrong category, no worries, upload the same document again in the correct category. (Upload under correct category this time ;) )

What if you have not studied in Australia but the mapped category says upload education evidence for Australian Qualification. ?
Leave it out. No need to upload if you haven't studied in Australia.

Similarly, do upload evidence for things which are not applicable for you.

One more example:
Regarding my wife, there are two confusing tabs, "Evidence of Custody", "Evidence of Relationship". For relationship, I can upload the marriage certificate but what do I upload in the custody, which is recommended.?

Upload Mar., Cert, under Evidence of Relationship; leave the other option.

Birth or Age, Evidence of National ID Card - Aadhaar Card

Birth or Age, Evidence of Document of Identity - PAN Card

Birth or Age, Evidence of - Passport / School Mark sheets / Birth certificates

Language Ability - English, Evidence of Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) PTE-A Result Scorecard

Qualifications - Overseas, Evidence of Educational Certificate (Degree/Diploma etc) - Degree and School related certificates

Qualifications - Overseas, Evidence of Academic Transcripts - Transcripts

Skills Assessment, Evidence of Skills Assessment ACS Assessment Result

Change of Name, Evidence of Statutory Declaration Affidavit on Name ( I submitted this because in few of my documents I had used my initials rather than father's full name as family name. Format for this affidavit given above.

Travel Document Passport - Current Passport

Travel Document Passport - Previous Passport

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Work Reference Statutory Declaration of Roles & Responsibilities

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Work Reference - Offer & relieving letter & Appraisal & increament letters, note for current company no need of relieving letter.

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Other (specify) - Bank statement if the files are more than 5MB break them into parts probably name based on years do the upload.

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Other (specify) - Provident Fund Statement

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Tax Document - Form-16s Part One / two / three

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Tax Document - ITR Part One / two / three

Work Experience - Overseas, Evidence of Payslip - Payslips one per two quarters and last 6 months continuous

Photograph - Other (Use the upload option from the top right hand side)

Character, Evidence of Form 80 Personal particulars for character assessment (download the latest form80 from skillselect documents section)

Character, Evidence of Overseas Police Clearance - National INDIAN PCC

More to come......... please wait....... :):):):)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 999 Posts