Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

Hope you are having a great day so far?
My name is Rajat and I had recently started the process to apply for Australian PR

I had few questions and thought it would be best to ask them here

1. I have bread on different Threads and forums that there are different types of visas there is a class 189 and a class 190. I belong to technology background with 9 years experience in information technology. I am currently aged 31 years. I wanted to understand which class of PR I should be applying for

2. I have read different forums and got to know that when we submit our documents to ACS, then there is always a subtraction of 2 years from our current experience. This subtraction can be based on multiple factors and ranges from 2 to 6 years. I have done my engineering in Mechanical stream and have been working in information technology stream for the past 9 years. I wanted to know what would be my total work experience according to the PR norms. Basically I wanted to understand if more than 4 years are getting deducted, As that would really affect the number of points I am earning

3. Since I am married, I wanted to understand whether or not I would be able to get 5 more points since my wife also has the same job code according to Australia PR norms. She is Senior Business Analyst in information technology stream and has 7 years of experience aged at 29 years. Would it be better for her to apply PR instead of me as she has done her Masters in Business Administration and is continuing in the same line.

4. Could anyone of you briefly describe how the points are earned for Australia and what each category means

5. I would also be interested to know in case everything goes fine and we get the PR then is there any minimum duration that we need to go to Australia and stay

6. My last question is that if my wife has an employment gap of one year (which is between how completion of post graduation and her first job) , then would it pose a problem. She has been working after getting her first job throughout

Thanks for reading through my questions. Hoping that you will be able to help me out

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Welcome Rajat.

1. Prefer the 189 over 190. If you have sufficient points (75 if you are a business analyst) for 189 then don't bother about 190, else opt for both 189 and 190 and go with whichever invitation comes your way first.

2. I assume you are a business analyst. This occupation is demanding a minimum of 70 points for the 189 visa, and that too would be a considerable amount of waiting time to get an invitation. 75 points would give you a quick invitation. Sadly though, because of your non-ICT qualification, you will be left with only 3 out of 9 years of work experience to claim points from (5 points from work experience).

3. If your wife's qualification (note: not the MBA unless it was MBA in IT or something related to ICT BA) is anything close to IT majors, then you are in luck. She could be the primary applicant and you can further add 5 partner points to her application because with 7 years of experience (i.e. 5 effective after deduction), she would have 10 points from work experience alone.

4. Assuming your wife graduated with an IT degree:

4.1: If you are to become the primary applicant:
Education: 15 points.
Work: 5 points.
English: 10 points (assumption).
Partner: 5 points.
--
Total: 65 points.

4.2: If your wife were to be the primary applicant:
Education: 15 points.
Work: 10 points.
English: 10 points (assumption).
Partner: 5 points.
--
Total: 70 points.

However, if any one of you can earn maximum points in English (20), then there won't be a need to claim partner points (just to save on partner's skills assessment and English test). But if not, then as you can see above, you both can at best end up with 70 points (scenario 4.2) which although are sufficient for ICT BA, the waiting time would be very long. If you don't want to wait long, you can either keep trying with English to try and improve your scores or can apply for 190 as well and wish the state of your choice nominates you.

5. Depends on what you intend to do with the PR. If your aim is to make Australia your new home and take up Australian citizenship, then you need to have resided for 4 years in Australia to become eligible.

6. No problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi There KeeDa!

Thanks a lot for your reply, I do have a few follow up questions and would be grateful if you could reply to those

1. I basically do not understand what is the 189 and the 190 Visa and I wanted to understand what is the difference in them

2. I have a BTech in mechanical engineering and my work experience has not been in business analysis but in software programming so from that I understand that I need to get 65 points, but of course more points would be giving me better chances

What I wanted to know was what is the logic behind reducing 6 years out of my 9 years of work EX due to my non it background

3. Also it will really be helpful if you could explain me if it's necessary to immediately travel after we get the Australian PR immediately travel after we get the Australian PR.
From what I know, there is a necessity to go to Australia for a few weeks within the first 6 months to ensure the validity of the PR does not expire

The reason why I ask this question is because I would like to continue to stay in India initially for a few months even after getting the PR. However I do intend to go to Australia after that permanently

Thanks in advance for all the time you are taking out to answer these questions

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question please

Could you let me know how to get police verification done in India (if any Indians here have already done it) if we have stayed abroad, then what to do in that case as well?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hello Rajat,

1. 189 visa will enable you to work anywhere in Australia while the 190 visa, which is a state sponsored visa, will enable you to work in that particular state only. So if you get a 190 visa, you are morally obligated to work in that state

2. Yes. However if you get 70 pts, based on the queue, you get an invite immediately.
As per ACS, they deduct 2-6 years depending on the degree. The logic bhind this is that they feel a person taken that many years to gain the necessary skills to meet the job requirements. For example, a person with engg in Computer Science will have 2 years of deduction because he/she will need 2 years to gain the necessary skills to work proficiently in a particular ICT ANZSCO code. In you case, since it's mechanical degree, a non-ICT degree, they will deduct 6 years.

3. That's not the correct understanding. Basically, there is something called as IED (Initial Entry Date). You will have 1 year timeframe from the date you have completed your Medicals or PCC (whichever is earlier) to enter Australia. For example after getting your EOI invite if you completed your Medicals on X date and PCC on Y date and, say, lodged your application on Z date, DIBP will provide you an IED , say, A. This A will be exactly 1 year from X or Y (whichever was done earlier).

All you have to do is enter Australia bedore the IED and get your passport stamped in the Immigration. You can stay in Australia for even 1 hr and return back. It doesn't matter. All you have to do is get your (all applicants - primary, secondary and dependent) passport stamped.

Hi There KeeDa!

Thanks a lot for your reply, I do have a few follow up questions and would be grateful if you could reply to those

1. I basically do not understand what is the 189 and the 190 Visa and I wanted to understand what is the difference in them

2. I have a BTech in mechanical engineering and my work experience has not been in business analysis but in software programming so from that I understand that I need to get 65 points, but of course more points would be giving me better chances

What I wanted to know was what is the logic behind reducing 6 years out of my 9 years of work EX due to my non it background

3. Also it will really be helpful if you could explain me if it's necessary to immediately travel after we get the Australian PR immediately travel after we get the Australian PR.
From what I know, there is a necessity to go to Australia for a few weeks within the first 6 months to ensure the validity of the PR does not expire

The reason why I ask this question is because I would like to continue to stay in India initially for a few months even after getting the PR. However I do intend to go to Australia after that permanently

Thanks in advance for all the time you are taking out to answer these questions

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts