Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I got the Australian PR a few months ago and I understand that I can live and work in NZ as well. I haven't yet made my first entry to Australia.

Can I go directly to NZ and then later make my first entry to Australia or will I have to enter Australia first and then go to NZ?

Thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got the Australian PR a few months ago and I understand that I can live and work in NZ as well. I haven't yet made my first entry to Australia.

Can I go directly to NZ and then later make my first entry to Australia or will I have to enter Australia first and then go to NZ?

Thanks
Big NO. Its an Australian PR and must be activated in Australia. Once activated you can visit NZ.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ramesh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh. I didn't know that having an Australian PR qualifies you to work and live in NZ as well. Is there any other process to be completed for NZ post getting Oz PR ?
Hi Guys,

Thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
Oh. I didn't know that having an Australian PR qualifies you to work and live in NZ as well. Is there any other process to be completed for NZ post getting Oz PR ?
there is no process but again it's not very easy to get a job in NZ . also allowing AUS PRs to stay in NZ is at the discretion of NZ govt. If they withdraw Au PR holders will have to get a valid visa like all others

·
Registered
70 Posts
there is no process but again it's not very easy to get a job in NZ . also allowing AUS PRs to stay in NZ is at the discretion of NZ govt. If they withdraw Au PR holders will have to get a valid visa like all others
I think you are making some assumptions. This is what the NZ immigration site says -- "Provided they enter New Zealand on a valid passport, Australian citizens and permanent residents will normally be granted a resident visa at the airport to stay in New Zealand."

For more details , refer to : Australian citizens and permanent residents - New Zealand Immigration Service

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think you are making some assumptions. This is what the NZ immigration site says -- "Provided they enter New Zealand on a valid passport, Australian citizens and permanent residents will normally be granted a resident visa at the airport to stay in New Zealand."

For more details , refer to : Australian citizens and permanent residents - New Zealand Immigration Service
I'm not making assumptions, may be you did not comprehend what I meant. The current policy by NZ Govt allows AUS PR visa holders to live in NZ but if the policy is withdrawn at point in future it will no longer be valid.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
The main issue is that any time spent in NZ does NOT count for meeting the Australian residency requirement for obtaining an RRV or Australian citizenship. So if you don't get PR in NZ at some point before your visa expires then you will not have a legal status in either country. Anyone who plans to move to NZ as an Australian PR should tread carefully.

It should also be noted that NZ PRs do NOT have any work/residency rights in Australia so if you become an NZ PR and your Australian visa lapses, then you decide you want to live in Australia, you'll need to re-apply.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm not making assumptions, may be you did not comprehend what I meant. The current policy by NZ Govt allows AUS PR visa holders to live in NZ but if the policy is withdrawn at point in future it will no longer be valid.
"it's not very easy to get a job in NZ" -- I suppose this is out of your experience and not an assumption.
" also allowing AUS PRs to stay in NZ is at the discretion of NZ govt" -- A clear information posted in NZ immigration site(posted by me previously) negates this statement and I imagined that you are talking about present.

My sincere apologies if i still didnt see what you were trying to tell.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As ozbound indicated the NZ government could change the minds at any time but this. Isn't not be an issue if you never ever leave NZ for a holiday. Your resident visa you are issued when you arrive is cancelled when you leave the country. So if the rules change and you decide to fly home for instance you might find you cannot return to work. That is what ozbound means by tread carefully.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts