Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice needed

Good morning all,
My name is Domenic and I am looking for a little advice.
My family and I are thinking of moving to France.
I am an a Marine engineer and work on Oil Rigs off Africa on a 28days on 28 days off cycle.
As most of you know, Australia has recently changed its Tax rules, so I will only be able to stay in OZ for 90 days. also flying to France would take 5 hours….flying to Oz from Africa takes 27 hours.
So…..
I thought I would buy a little cottage in France somewhere, and spend half a year in France, the other half with the wife and kids in Oz. During the Uni break, the wife and kids would come over to France.

What I would like to know is;
What area is regarded as a good up and coming area with decent capital growth?
Any tips on “just doing it”
Is it as good as they say?

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Advice needed

Good morning all,
My name is Domenic and I am looking for a little advice.
My family and I are thinking of moving to France.
I am an a Marine engineer and work on Oil Rigs off Africa on a 28days on 28 days off cycle.
As most of you know, Australia has recently changed its Tax rules, so I will only be able to stay in OZ for 90 days. also flying to France would take 5 hours….flying to Oz from Africa takes 27 hours.
So…..
I thought I would buy a little cottage in France somewhere, and spend half a year in France, the other half with the wife and kids in Oz. During the Uni break, the wife and kids would come over to France.

What I would like to know is;
What area is regarded as a good up and coming area with decent capital growth?
Any tips on “just doing it”
Welcome to the forum!
If you have a passport from an EU country (such as UK), then you can do more-or-less what you like in France - live there, rent or buy properties, use it as a base etc. If you only have Australian citizenship, you need the right kind of long-stay visa for France, which is kind of tricky, and they will force you to jump through hoops. Under Schengen rules, without such a visa, you can only stay in France for 90 days within 180 days, so you can't do what you plan to achieve. You may need to establish yourself as a business entity (auto entrepreneur).
As for your tax position, if you spend more than half a year in France, you will be deemed to be resident for tax purpose and be taxed on your worldwide income. Even if you don't exceed 180 days, they may look at the pattern of your stay and may conclude France is your base of operation and still tax you. You'll need professional advice.
Property market is in the doldrums and you cannot count on capital growth on your investment - you may easily end up losing money on resale. As a long-term investment, French properties may still be a sound buy but much depends on the type and location of properties and how much you pay for them. There are some desperate sellers out there, but you need expert unbiased local advice, which isn't always easy to get as every property professional has their own agenda.

·
Registered
664 Posts
This has gone into the Unanswered Post section very quickly - so this should get it back into the main section. Here are my thoughts on your questions - not necessarily in the same order.

1 - Is it as good as they say? - only if France can provide what you are looking for - do you know what you want in your new life?

2 - up and coming area, with decent capital growth? - somewhere near a major town or city where people live if they can't afford central house prices or rents. But this might not suit the lifestyle you want. Up and coming areas can change over the years.

3 - any tips on just doing it? - some contributors to this forum say yes - you'll get by. Others are a little more cautious and say that a reasonable standard of language and an appreciation of the French lifestyle certainly helps integration.

Just some initial thoughts

·
Administrator
49,412 Posts
The responses you have so far have raised some valid points. Your major considerations are going to be your visa situation and your tax situation - both of which will be significantly complicated by your plans.

If you wind up being "claimed" by France as a tax resident, you could also wind up being subject to French wealth tax - which is assessed against your worldwide net worth.

In any event, the first step is to investigate what sort of visa you might be eligible for that would allow you to spend half the year in France the way you would like to.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
69 Posts
G'day Domenic,

I went back home to Adelaide three years ago with my English wife to see if we wanted to live there or France - it was me who decided on France (much to the wife's delight I guess). It's what you want out of the experience and everyone is different. I've now travelled Europe extensively and realised how isolated Australia is in respect to cultural colour, Melbourne is pretty much the same as Adelaide is to Perth, if you get my drift.
France is a mix of so many different individual regions with their own dialects, architecture, food, traditions, landscapes and from here you can easily travel to Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland - the list is endless.
Comparable property prices are cheaper than a suburban home in most Aussie cities - in Haute Vienne you can still get three bedroom village properties for under A$120,000.
There are quite a lot of Aussies here as well, Limoges has a smattering and in Bordeaux there is a largish community.
As for where to live, we chose our place because it has wonderful views and is rural - I have no idea whether it will prove to be a money spinner or not, don't intend selling it. If you are young and want a more exciting life style than choose a largish city to live near - but what ragion to live in depends entirely on what you find attractive and convenient.
I love Australia, but France takes some beating I can promise you.

Good Luck anyway. Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.