Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends most of us are aware that Employers do look for local Australian experience for the jobs here in Australia.

While definition of local experience is simple to understand - working experience in Australia however why this parameter is so important for the employers?

Someone who has worked with global MNCs in developed countries like USA, UK does not qualify having decent work experience?

What are the important factors / considerations which make local experience in Australia different than any non Australian experience?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Civil Engineer with experience more than 5 years and worked with global giants like Samsung and Huawei n still unemployed due to local experience :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Civil Engineer with experience more than 5 years and worked with global giants like Samsung and Huawei n still unemployed due to local experience :(
dude almost a year that you landed in Oz, still no job??terrifying :eek: ....what`s your mode of survival?

Share your experience and the present market trend

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is very competitive in most fields, with more than 200 applicants per 1 job. So employers scan a resume in 10 to 15 seconds and move on to the next resume.

So ensure that on the 1st page of your resume that you are highlighting the global giants & your experience with the global giants and also highlight your achievements & skills on the 1st page of your resume.

The significance of local experience varies from one employer to another and from one role to another. So an employer looking for a sales rep will probably prefer someone with local experience, so the employee can bring in some of his or her previous customers at the last jobs.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Local experience is necessary because the employers want to make sure that you are a right fit for the team. Yes, you might have extensive international experience, but working in Australia is a bit different than other countries. I had ten years of Middle East experience working for European and local companies but had to take a step down in my first job.

While you are looking for a job, I would suggest that you start dedicating some time to volunteering. You can work with Vinnies or Salvos. Ofcourse it is unpaid but you can put that on your CV and anyone looking at your CV will then realise that you have got atleast some experience working alongside other locals.

I personally believe that "lack of local experience" is just another excuse for rejecting an applicant. It's like the conundrum - what came first the egg or the chicken!!!

Reactions: Manjil and Bhajjaji

·
Registered
27 Posts
dude almost a year that you landed in Oz, still no job??terrifying :eek: ....what`s your mode of survival?

Share your experience and the present market trend
I'm doing survival jobs, personal development courses and work placements to survive, develop and gain local experience. Reference is big factor here for getting a job either survival or your field. Need a lot of patience. Good days will come :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts