Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team,

First time posting and reading.

Background: 24, single with bachelor of Journalism and an Masters of Business Administration (MBA.), currently living in QLD, Australia. I am eligible for a tier 1 visa for being highly skilled or as post-study work. Have 5 years work experience in project management and working internationally already.

The reason I wan to migrate is I have a decent chunk of savings and want to celebrate my 25th birthday O/S.

I have a number of questions, if anyone can help, please do so.

1. Is the British job market as bad as the new makes it out to be?
2. Should I use a talent agency in Australia to 'set up' before heading over?
3. I have two degrees, will they convert across easily to UK standards?
4. Where is the best place to find accommodation, specifically a room in a flat
5. How much is a month's rent for a place to live for a young professional?
6. What will i need as soon as I want a job? Phone, bank account, Tax File Number? What else?
7. Everyone says to me no, don't, should I take their advice or ignore them?
8. If you have a question of me, please don't hesitate to ask

Thanks team.

Rodger

·
Banned
934 Posts
Yeah you should be right depending on your wage but you'll get maximum points for eduation and age.

1 Yes the Job market in the UK is that bad. As much as everyone says that the US market is bad the UK one is worse and is unlikely to recover or get better for a few years. THE UK market may never get back to where it was 2-3 years ago.

2 I assume you mean recruitment agents? no wait unilt you are on the ground in the UK. No one cares until you are in the country.

3 Australian degrees are well recgonised no point in qualifying them into UK standards

4 depends the 300-400k Aussies who live in London most of them live in the SW region of London. I lived in Central SE which was great.

5 400-600 will get you a room

6 UK accound and a national insurance number

7 Yes your friends are right But you might as well just go over and give it a crack your 25 what have you got to lose? But be prepared that bar jobs recied hundrerds of applications. An Engineer mate of mine works as a Police CCTV viewer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey team,

First time posting and reading.

Background: 24, single with bachelor of Journalism and an Masters of Business Administration (MBA.), currently living in QLD, Australia. I am eligible for a tier 1 visa for being highly skilled or as post-study work. Have 5 years work experience in project management and working internationally already.

The reason I wan to migrate is I have a decent chunk of savings and want to celebrate my 25th birthday O/S.

I have a number of questions, if anyone can help, please do so.

1. Is the British job market as bad as the new makes it out to be?
2. Should I use a talent agency in Australia to 'set up' before heading over?
3. I have two degrees, will they convert across easily to UK standards?
4. Where is the best place to find accommodation, specifically a room in a flat
5. How much is a month's rent for a place to live for a young professional?
6. What will i need as soon as I want a job? Phone, bank account, Tax File Number? What else?
7. Everyone says to me no, don't, should I take their advice or ignore them?
8. If you have a question of me, please don't hesitate to ask

Thanks team.

Rodger

Hello Rodger!

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. It really depends on the industry you are in. For example, across the board unemployment is high and companies have hiring restrictions in place. However, things are looking up in some sectors - my company and others have lifted our hiring freezes this quarter, and firms (especially in the City and Canary Wharf) are advertising again. So there is light at the end of the tunnel!

2. No, I should imagine this will be a waste of your time. I used to work in recruitment and we were told to politely refuse CV's from any individual who was not yet in the country. Join some agencies when you get here, then they can start looking on your behalf straight away.

3. I believe so - as has already been said, Australian degrees seem to be well recognised here.

4. If you are looking for a room in a flat rather than a whole flat, your best best is either Gumtree or Spare Room - or both! - these both have sections that deal specifically with house / flat shares. i think you have to pay a bit to use Spare Room, whilst Gumtree is free, but from what I remember it's not much and it is worth it as they carry a lot of ads.

5. I agree, about 400 - 600-ish should do it. Depends where you want to live and in what sort of place!

6. You will need a phone number, UK address, bank account, national insurance number, copy of your passport / visa, (you will need proof that you have the right to work in the UK if you are originally from overseas).

7. Listen to their reasons. If your friends and family are telling you no - is this because of genuine concern for you? Because you have a good job where you are and they don't want to see you give it all up? Or because they will miss you and worry that you won't be happy? Whatever it is, talk to them and try and allay their fears. Explain that this isn't just a whim - you've been mulling it over for some time, and want to do it now, while you are young and able to, rather than not take the chance and regret it in a few years time. Talk to expats you know at home who are from the UK, go on lots of message boards like this and really try to come to an informed decision. And remember to take the comments of others on board, but ultimately it is your life and your decision and only you can make that call.

Best of luck!

Jessica

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.