Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This query is on behalf of my dad. Since I can't include him as a dependent in my own application, I figured it would be great if he can get his own visa. His details are:

Education: Double M.A. One in International Relations and other in English Literature.

Work Experience: 25 years as a print journalist in leading English language papers of Pakistan (18 years) and U.A.E (7 years).

Only Dependent is my mum. She is a house-wife. I have two sisters as well but both are independent and have well-paying jobs in Dubai.

Both he and my mum have perfect health (even better than me :D).

Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi ChrisJAnderson,

although chances are slim, he should try to assess his points score for a PR visa. Print journalist (212413) is on schedule 2 of the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL), so he would need to apply for state/territory or employer sponsorship. Please note that the maximum age to apply for points-test PR visas is 49 (inclusive).

If he can crack an IELTS result of 8+ across all four sections and would be willing to live in regional Australia he might be able to get an invite for a 489 Skilled Regional Sponsored visa and thus scrape 60 points together. This is a provisional visa, which is valid for four years, with a subsequent pathway to PR via the 887 visa.

But as I said, it's very hard for older applicants to pass the points test, even if they are highly skilled and healthy.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ChrisJAnderson,

although chances are slim, he should try to assess his points score for a PR visa. Print journalist (212413) is on schedule 2 of the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL), so he would need to apply for state/territory or employer sponsorship. Please note that the maximum age to apply for points-test PR visas is 49 (inclusive).

If he can crack an IELTS result of 8+ across all four sections and would be willing to live in regional Australia he might be able to get an invite for a 489 Skilled Regional Sponsored visa and thus scrape 60 points together. This is a provisional visa, which is valid for four years, with a subsequent pathway to PR via the 887 visa.

But as I said, it's very hard for older applicants to pass the points test, even if they are highly skilled and healthy.

All the best,
Monika

Thanks a lot Monika. You have been a great help as always. I will try to start his process at the earliest then as he will turn 49 in august. I hope I can count on you for further queries :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.