Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I am in the process of relocating to Australia , by the grace of Almighty managed to find a 100k job. Currently I am well placed in Middle East and earning little more than 100k of course no taxes are involved in this Part of the world.

Looking at the new opportunity I got in Australia , Brisbane I am giving a serious thought , shall I relocate or not , I have family of three . They are well placed here and enjoying the their life as we can afford most of the things.

I am also studying the Australian economy , most of the economist are saying the economy will not grow well there is a deficit involved with the government. Being sitting here I cannot read the ground reality , so can anyone with good understanding of economy and the local conditions could share their views and comments. Suggestions are also welcomed.

This will help me God willing to take an informed decision about my final relocation to Australia for good. I do have a Australian Pr as well

Cheers

Trends

Reactions: viju_009

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well the Aussie economy currently has an unemployment rate of 6.2% and is projected to grow by 2.5% annually. The major structural challenges that the economy faces is declining revenue due to the fall in commodity prices. However developed countries such as Australia can afford to run fiscal deficits for several years as it has the means to contain its fiscal deficits. For more information on budget deficits and projections I refer you to the 2015/16 Federal Budget. Also Australia is one of the few countries currently rated AAA by all three major ratings agencies.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We live in Brisbane (but are moving to Spain for a life change in August)

The global financial dificulties of the last few years have not hit Australia nearly as much as the rest of the world. (However if you are in mining it has had a big downturn.)

The cost of living in Australia has gone up a lot in the last decade compared to the rest of the world, but wages are correspondingly high. Unemployment is about 6%, so pretty good.

Australia is about as safe as it gets in the world and our health system is excellent.

I work in the city centre and my business, which dropped about 10% with the global crisis seems to be picking up again so it feels like things are going in the right direction.

Do it, I reckon! we've visited over 50 countries and it makes you realise that Australia really is "the lucky country".

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi everyone

I am in the process of relocating to Australia , by the grace of Almighty managed to find a 100k job. Currently I am well placed in Middle East and earning little more than 100k of course no taxes are involved in this Part of the world.
ME Vs Australia, is really a choice between better savings against better (perceived) lifestyle.

remember, your savings will be half, or less, after your move.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You shouldn't move to Oz for monetary reasons as you will be disappointed for lost opportunities in India/Middle East..

Australia is all about attitude, great weather, good work-life balance and giving time to what you love.. Things which Money can;t buy ;)

I feel your famly can be the best guide as they are equally part of the change and know you best..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi everyone

Looking at the new opportunity I got in Australia , Brisbane I am giving a serious thought , shall I relocate or not , I have family of three . They are well placed here and enjoying the their life as we can afford most of the things.

I am also studying the Australian economy , most of the economist are saying the economy will not grow well there is a deficit involved with the government. Being sitting here I cannot read the ground reality , so can anyone with good understanding of economy and the local conditions could share their views and comments. Suggestions are also welcomed.

This will help me God willing to take an informed decision about my final relocation to Australia for good. I do have a Australian Pr as well

Cheers

Trends
Let us use comparison as a tool to help you make decision, this would be a comparison between Middle East the place you are staying and the new home Australia (suppose you make it one in near future).
This is my view point and comparison is based on the facts with my brother has told me who is in middle east to my three year stay in AU.

The biggest advantage in AU is that you can straight away apply for PR and enter with PR get the citizenship within few years and have all the rights to one of the best democratic institution where as in Middle East you will never be the citizen of the state you wont have your say and can never be counted as equals with the natives.

Going with the above point you have right to follow and practice your religion , file a case against any wrongdoing and have strong law to support and protect you here.

A true economy is by the nation and its people , come here and play a part to make it strong and elect the person who you believe will play a part. So even if its in shackles today tomo can be a new era.

AU will provide the kids will altogether a different upbringing, magnificent schooling and outdoor awaits you here the other good thing is that you already have a job.

I think monetary thinking makes sense but only to a limit else you would never have that satisfaction , anyways I have seen people commenting on not to come for the sake of money, I can tell you on personal experience i have seen people making real big and having posh bungalows and there own ferries in perth during mining boom by using there creativity. So there is no stopping you to come and explore that without being dragged behind by political and corrupt atmosphere.

Rest i guess depends on the fact that at the end you need to be happy and satisfied. Whether you are in Middle East or here

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oz economy, as I read, is not doing good. How is that housing and rental costs are increasing despite the economy? This is contrary to the global trend, where property prices nose dive with the economy and joblessness.

My dipstick analysis is that rentals and property prices have gone up easily by 20% in last 2 years. Immigrant inflow has been the highest in this period. Does it mean that a constant inflow of immigrants is keeping property demand up, leading to a shortage and consequent property inflation?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Oz economy, as I read, is not doing good. How is that housing and rental costs are increasing despite the economy? This is contrary to the global trend, where property prices nose dive with the economy and joblessness. My dipstick analysis is that rentals and property prices have gone up easily by 20% in last 2 years. Immigrant inflow has been the highest in this period. Does it mean that a constant inflow of immigrants is keeping property demand up, leading to a shortage and consequent property inflation?
Not exactly. While migration is driving some of the demand for housing, most of it is being driven by historically low interest rates that are enticing everyone to jump into the property market especially property investors. Negative gearing, which allows investors to reduce their tax burden by claiming losses on properties on their returns, is the main enticement for investors.

I'd expect that any increase in interest rates could see prices drop. Also the rise in sub prime loans could cause a similar housing crash like we saw in the U.S. I would not get into the property market in Australia right now.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Oz economy, as I read, is not doing good. How is that housing and rental costs are increasing despite the economy? This is contrary to the global trend, where property prices nose dive with the economy and joblessness.

My dipstick analysis is that rentals and property prices have gone up easily by 20% in last 2 years. Immigrant inflow has been the highest in this period. Does it mean that a constant inflow of immigrants is keeping property demand up, leading to a shortage and consequent property inflation?
For the first time in 25 years The net migration to New Zealand from Australia is in positive. Australians are moving to New Zealand for jobs which tradionally is other way round. This is a big development as this is the indicator of how good new zealand is doing and how badly Oz economy is struggling.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
For the first time in 25 years The net migration to New Zealand from Australia is in positive. Australians are moving to New Zealand for jobs which tradionally is other way round. This is a big development as this is the indicator of how good new zealand is doing and how badly Oz economy is struggling.
Your interpretation of these data is inaccurate. It's not necessarily Australians moving to NZ instead of Kiwis moving to Australia, it's likely NZers who can live and work in Australia who are now moving home in larger numbers. They're probably unemployed (likely working in the mining sector) and moving home to find work and claim benefits. They can't claim unemployment benefits in Australia unlike citizens and PRs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not exactly. While migration is driving some of the demand for housing, most of it is being driven by historically low interest rates that are enticing everyone to jump into the property market especially property investors. Negative gearing, which allows investors to reduce their tax burden by claiming losses on properties on their returns, is the main enticement for investors.

I'd expect that any increase in interest rates could see prices drop. Also the rise in sub prime loans could cause a similar housing crash like we saw in the U.S. I would not get into the property market in Australia right now.
Thanks. That's a good analysis. Here's more...

-Economy isn't doing well, but stock markets on a high.

-If Foreign investors who invested when 1 USD= 1 AUD (yr 2012) have to exit, they are still at a loss since since 0.8 USD = 1 AUD

-when economy is bad, interest rates are (usually) cut down. That will not help to rationalize the property market?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Thanks. That's a good analysis. Here's more... -Economy isn't doing well, but stock markets on a high. -If Foreign investors who invested when 1 USD= 1 AUD (yr 2012) have to exit, they are still at a loss since since 0.8 USD = 1 AUD -when economy is bad, interest rates are (usually) cut down. That will not help to rationalize the property market?
It's actually mostly domestic investors and self managed superannuation funds as opposed to foreign investment.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Your interpretation of these data is inaccurate. It's not necessarily Australians moving to NZ instead of Kiwis moving to Australia, it's likely NZers who can live and work in Australia who are now moving home in larger numbers. They're probably unemployed (likely working in the mining sector) and moving home to find work and claim benefits. They can't claim unemployment benefits in Australia unlike citizens and PRs.
More Australians moving to work in stronger New Zealand economy

More Australians moving to work in stronger New Zealand economy

The numbers are not large to make a difference, statistically. But this is true.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What makes you doubt the condition of Australian economy? If you want to assess the state of any economy then checking the international credit rating is the best way to do it. Based on that Australia is sitting right at the top with strong european countries, scandinavian countries, USA, canada etc. In fact USA and Australia seem to share the same credit rating and Australian credit rating is better than that of UK ( and way better than countries like japan, new zealand, etc).
The view that Australia economy is not doing good does not hold much merit in my opinion. There might be minor fluctuations but that should not make a big difference.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What makes you doubt the condition of Australian economy? If you want to assess the state of any economy then checking the international credit rating is the best way to do it. Based on that Australia is sitting right at the top with strong european countries, scandinavian countries, USA, canada etc. In fact USA and Australia seem to share the same credit rating and Australian credit rating is better than that of UK ( and way better than countries like japan, new zealand, etc).
The view that Australia economy is not doing good does not hold much merit in my opinion. There might be minor fluctuations but that should not make a big difference.
GDP growth, GDP on a PPP basis, per capita income, and overrall job scene are things that matter to me as an immigrant. I would be keen on seeing the projections for above indicators over the next 20 years.

I found some figures on Australia GDP (bn USD)
2013 - 1,501.9
2014 - 1,444.2
2015 - 1,252.3

·
Registered
85 Posts
I found some figures on Australia GDP (bn USD)
2013 - 1,501.9
2014 - 1,444.2
2015 - 1,252.3
Why would anyone look at Australian GDP in USD?

Also, how was 2015 calculated, given that today is 1 June 2015?

Australian GDP growth rate is ever positive, and that's what matters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The numbers are not quite right. Here are the actual figures (courtesy: Australia GDP | 1960-2015 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast | News)

Year GDB in Billion USD
2006 - 692.4
2007 - 745
2008 - 850.5
2009 - 1052.3
2010 - 923.5 (In 2010 Australia GDP shrunk. need to analyse the effect on job markets)
2011 - 1138.3
2012 - 1384.2
2013 - 1532.4
2014 - 1560.6
2015 - Data not available

·
Registered
83 Posts
The same website predicted the following forecasts (The forecast for - Australia GDP - was last predicted on Monday, June 1, 2015. )

Actual 1561 BUSD
Q2/15 1587 BUSD
Q3/15 1589 BUSD
Q4/15 1591 BUSD
Q1/16 1592 BUSD

The growth predictions are slow (or could shrink by a little as bit) but they do not indicate towards a major recession (in my opinion)

courtesy: Australia GDP Forecast

1 - 20 of 29 Posts