Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Eventually got my laptop fixed! so back in touch with the whole wide world.

My question is where do i go in Brisbane to get my australian driving licence, as i can't seem to find the place. Heard its the dept of main roads? but where is it? Any help greatly appreciated! Been here 8 weeks so need to get one really! A postcode would be good so i can sat nav it....my life savour here.... don't try and leave home without one:D thanks...ellisa

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Queensland Transport

Hi guys

My question is where do i go in Brisbane to get my australian driving licence, as i can't seem to find the place. Heard its the dept of main roads? but where is it? Any help greatly appreciated! Been here 8 weeks so need to get one really! A postcode would be good so i can sat nav it....my life savour here.... don't try and leave home without one:D thanks...ellisa

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hiya Ellisa,

Me and Mark just got ours day before yesterday. Are you close to Redcliffe as there's a QLD Transport dept near the Peninsula Shopping centre, just behind the carpark. Tried to see if I have the postcode but no luck, nothing on the receipts. We paid $73.30 each for 5yr licence. we took our passports, visa/credit cards and tenency agreement as proof of ID. The best thing is it's done there and then, no waiting around for the post.

xx Satty:love:

Hi guys

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry Ellissa, thought I'd opened a new thread. Didn't mean to carry on from yours. Have opened a new thread....lol

xx Satty

Hiya all,

We've moved to North Brisbane and are very disappointed to say the curry houses sucks here. Very Pricey but tastes horrible. In a way it's a good hing as doing more home cooking and Anj has sent me loads of new recipes for me to try. but I miss not being able to go to a local curry house. In Redcliffe they like to use the Vinegar generously in the curry dishes. My OH said it might be because of the heat they have to use this. Never tasted vinegar when I went to India so not sure. Hope someone can reflect on this.

Anyone in Brisbane that can recommend a decent curry place? plssss

Also have googled but there's not many Indian grocery shops,hence the over-expensive prices. Does anyone know where you can shop in Brisbane cheaply for spices. OH Did say look into opening one up but it's not my thing....lol

And lastly where are the Indians as I was under the impression that it was going to be like Melbourne, very multi cultured but no-one seems to know. The 2 indian shops I asked at didn't seem to know either. We need more of you guys in North Brisbane... it would be so nice. Not Just Indians but all multi cultures.

xx Satty:love:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Did you have to do any exams, or was it just changing the driving licence a straight forward paperwork on the hour thing?

Thanks,
Busyte

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ah, it says on the website you "may" have to do a test.

Dolly

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi,

Did you have to do any exams, or was it just changing the driving licence a straight forward paperwork on the hour thing?

Thanks,
Busyte
Hiya, we held UK licences so straightforward swapover, no tests just showed id's and paid and had photo taken and then collected the cards, so easy, probably took 20 - 30 mins in total from getting a ticket for queing to collecting the card. Nothing like UK.

xx Satty

·
Registered
315 Posts
> Ah, it says on the website you "may" have to do a test.

If the overseas license is expired or cannot be validated, right? Can they make me take the arduous exams just because I look like Brad Pitt?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

It makes sense asking people from countries that drive on the right to do the tests, however although I'm Portuguese, I've been in the UK for well over 8 years now and have switched my Portuguese one for an UK one long ago so I'll be fine.:clap2:

I'm more worried with getting used to driving an automatic, gearless, or self geared car!!!:D

Cheers to you all!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys

Thanks for the info, i'll be looking to get to one near me on monday (my day off!!!).

Thanks ellisa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts