Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
Just a quick question regarding citizenship.

Right now I am an Australian permanent resident (885 visa) and in a few months time will be eligible for Citizenship. Moreover, my wife and baby (10 month old) became permanent residents (partner visa subclass 100) 5 months back.

My question is during my citizenship ceremony, will my child get citizenship? (I know my wife has to fulfil the 4 year requirement before she can apply for her citizenship)

Quick info: My baby was born overseas while I was awaiting outcome of 885 permanent resident visa.

thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is it that difficult of a situation?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I don't see any information on the DIBP website that suggests children born overseas are treated differently than anyone else. So in this case no, your child wouldn't get citizenship when you do. They would need to meet the same requirements as your wife .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what i found:

You will usually receive an invitation to your citizenship ceremony well in advance. This will give you time to arrange leave from work, if you need to, and invite family and friends to join you at the ceremony.

Your children can also attend the ceremony. If they are under 16 years of age and were included on your application form they will become citizens when you do. They will not have to make the Pledge but are welcome to do so.

source: Australian Citizenship – Attending your citizenship ceremony

What I can make out is that Yes the child will become citizen when i do. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,721 Posts
Well all applicants for citizenship have to satisfy all the eligibility criteria including 'Residential requirements' I don't find any exemption for children on immi website.

If you are still not sure call DIBP & enquire.

Girl Aussie

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Everyone wishing to start a discussion about the citizenship application process can post inquiries here. I couldn't find an active citizenship thread anywhere in Expat Forum. So I thought we could start from here ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.