Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is a situation many of them have come across. Please explain my queries as this will help me a lot.

I am an Australian citizen and we are planning to have a baby born in Australia. So the baby will automatically get Australian citizenship, but down the line I may settle down in India. Here are my questions

1. How well the baby of foreign national is accepted in India
2. What will be the future of the baby as far as education is concerned in schools and college, as schools and college will rip money of of it.

If baby is born in India, will that get Indian or Australian birth certificate. How to get Australian birth certificate in India. Secondly, how long it would take to get Australian passport for baby in India if baby is born in India. Also, how much time it takes to get OCI.

Anybody has faced any problem in doing this.

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,
Congratulations on the new addition to your family.

I had colleagues who are in the same situationas you but 14 - 18 years ahead. The Kids are US citizens by birth. When they planned to settle in India the kid was considered as a foreign student for school admission. That is all fees are calculated in USD. During every admission they ask the parents and the child's nationality and I am not sure on this but the schools will charge him as a foreign national even if he is Indian since the parents are Australian citizen(s).

From an acceptance perspective for the child there will be no issues. I have loads of colleagues who have spent 19 or 20 years abroad and have come back for their kids to complete High School here in India. All have opted for IB syllabus but no one is complaining about kids adjusting. But I am in Bangalore which is a cosmopolitan city. You too would not have issues in similar cities. If you plan to settle your home town etc. I am not sure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
both the option have trade-off. You choose the option which suits you.

There are NRI seats in school and colleges in India but you have to pay in USD.
However, if your child is naturally born in Australia, he/she can apply for US green card later in life easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the msg guys.

Also, wanted to know what is the formality to get the Australian citizenship and OCI in India. How long does it take.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the msg guys.

Also, wanted to know what is the formality to get the Australian citizenship and OCI in India. How long does it take.

Thanks in Advance.
Hi
I just checked the internet. There is an online form to fill and there are offices in major cities of india for OCI. https://passport.gov.in/oci/

I just read this post OCI vs PIO Card. Detailed comparison whether you should get OCI card or PIO card for persons of Indian origin. From here it looks like it is benificial to have a PIO for Kids since you need to renew the OCI every 5 years.

Just out of curiocity, most people I know opt for the PIO. why did you opt for the OCI? what are the benifits of OCI over PIO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts