Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm curious to know what the deal with Australia being highly touted as a place to live... I'm wondering because I have recently been looking into opportunities in the UAE but wherever I look for jobs (finance/accounting) I see tons of opportunities in Melbourne and Sydney. Is the economy booming??? As far as quality of life, no doubts there according to Mercer's quality of life ratings.... Jobs, quality of life, weather, outdoor activities, culture etc etc... what's not to like?

So, is Australia really that great?? Why would an American looking for good opportunities abroad pick it as opposed to staying put in the "Land of the Free" to pay taxes and see the loonies in Congress run up the deficit?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You've already answered your own question, quality of life is highly touted and as you can see the economy and job situation in the US is shaky (if I'm being generous). AU is not booming but it is doing better then most of the other 'advanced' economies.

Lower crime rates
Better climate
4 weeks standard vacation
Better labour protections

Of course it's not perfect:
Higher prices for finished goods and food
Hours of flying to get anywhere outside the country
You might get bored if you like fast paced cities.

There's a Dubai board here as well if you want to ask the same of the expats in the UAE.

All,

I'm curious to know what the deal with Australia being highly touted as a place to live... I'm wondering because I have recently been looking into opportunities in the UAE but wherever I look for jobs (finance/accounting) I see tons of opportunities in Melbourne and Sydney. Is the economy booming??? As far as quality of life, no doubts there according to Mercer's quality of life ratings.... Jobs, quality of life, weather, outdoor activities, culture etc etc... what's not to like?

So, is Australia really that great?? Why would an American looking for good opportunities abroad pick it as opposed to staying put in the "Land of the Free" to pay taxes and see the loonies in Congress run up the deficit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it says you grew up in new york... Are you happy that you made the move? How has your experience been? Are you glad you did it? Are you in Sydney/Melbourne.. or elsewhere?

i've been pretty active on the Dubai boards but australia has started to intrigue me somewhat... Btw, I cant stand the fast faced approach on the East Coast...

You've already answered your own question, quality of life is highly touted and as you can see the economy and job situation in the US is shaky (if I'm being generous). AU is not booming but it is doing better then most of the other 'advanced' economies.

Lower crime rates
Better climate
4 weeks standard vacation
Better labour protections

Of course it's not perfect:
Higher prices for finished goods and food
Hours of flying to get anywhere outside the country
You might get bored if you like fast paced cities.

There's a Dubai board here as well if you want to ask the same of the expats in the UAE.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes, very happy I made the move here. I'm in Sydney and work in IT.

Sure I miss the shopping back in the US, and some foods (especially the extremely greasy stuff that you can only get in the US). But other than that, not too much.

You do adjust to the living here and it takes about 1-2 yrs to really like it.

Every couple of months I do the 'let's move to the US' thought and then do the pros/cons (in my head). Still the US hasn't won where I'm going 'Let's go back'.

I like Sydney for it's pace, it's not like NY (not many places are that fast, although I would say Tokyo and Hong Kong have that pace too).

so it says you grew up in new york... Are you happy that you made the move? How has your experience been? Are you glad you did it? Are you in Sydney/Melbourne.. or elsewhere?

i've been pretty active on the Dubai boards but australia has started to intrigue me somewhat... Btw, I cant stand the fast faced approach on the East Coast...

·
Banned
934 Posts
All,

If you have an issue with paying taxes then Australia is not for you.

Australia like all countries has its good things and bad things.

Many brits are attracted to Australia because they ths deluded theory that it's perfectly safe and they can buy a new looking house 1 to 1.5hrs out in some sh*thole that not even ower class Australians would go too. They seem to that it will solve their problems back home because england is full of too many immigrants.

Australia has good weather, Close proximinity to Asia and if you can afford 1 Million USD plus then you will have a good lifestyle. If you can't well then life can be very hard. You will earn huge money in Australia probably more than Dubai from my experience of expats who used to work there

Negatives are regulation. High taxes, extremely high property prices, Nighlife is dangerous, Outer suburban suburbs are dangerous (many places in Perth or Melbourne I would never walk out to) Lack of career opportunities.

If you earn a good salary in the USA you can earn double that in Australia and stil be worse off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nighlife is dangerous, Outer suburban suburbs are dangerous (many places in Perth or Melbourne I would never walk out to).
The situation is same in other bigger cities ...
There are always some places in these cities you just cant go for the safety reasons.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am Australian and lived in Tokyo for several years. I now live in Sydney and feel that it is quiet and not exciting at all, not compared to Tokyo. I still like it, but it just doesn't have the energy of Tokyo.

I can't imagine ever being able to buy a nice house here either as real estate prices are astronomical. And I feel that grocery items are even more expensive than those in Tokyo.

But in general Australia is a beautiful country, nice laid-back lifestyle, great weather and lots of opportunities to enjoy the outdoor life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, in a nutshell... if you want to make good money and enjoy a relaxed, family-friendly lifestyle with a touch of big city/cosmopolitan feel.... you can do that in Sydney and Melbourne but you won't be saving for retirement since they are so damn expensive??

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, in a nutshell... if you want to make good money and enjoy a relaxed, family-friendly lifestyle with a touch of big city/cosmopolitan feel.... you can do that in Sydney and Melbourne but you won't be saving for retirement since they are so damn expensive??
You will be saving for retirement because there is a compulsory superannuation scheme that your employer must contribute on top of your wage.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It ain't paradise on earth. Disappointments voiced in this forum are mostly due to bouts of kalopsia. Know your reasons for emigrating and you will do fine.

Mine is to "see the world." What's yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

Hi,
I have lived in NYC for most of my life, but fell in love with OZ years ago and have been living here for the last 5.5 years. I've loved it the whole time and since my wife has started working, she loves it here too (not so much as a student as no income and expensive city).

We are very left leaning, so the aspects that we love are universal health care for residents (PR), and the fact that everyone has a living wage (minimum wage is like 14/hr). But... stuff is more expensive here. If you want to live in a great area, expect NYC rental prices. Also, offshore refugee detention centers and underlying racism are negatives for us.

You'll be shocked by restaurant prices initially, but with no tip and tax included, what you see is what you pay, unlike the US. Customer service is far less attentive and they don't make exceptions. The internet can be dissappointing initially with download limits, but its just a different country, so things are not going to be like the USA despite plenty of similarities.

We live in Sydney and are a 15 minute walk from some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and 15 minutes from a major transport hub (walking). Life is good even though we both work approx 50-60 hours/week (uncommon for aus).

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Land of the Free" to pay taxes and see the loonies in Congress run up the deficit?
By that statement, I take it you dislike the current liberal congress and are more conservative. If you're upset with a left leaning congress, then you'll hate moving to a country with socialized healthcare and higher taxes.

Australia is far more left leaning than the US and with much stricter gun laws to boot. You think the 5 day Brady bill is bad? Try a 28 day wait and you must have a permit to own any kind of gun. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defense is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence.

I'm not sure if gun control is important to you, but to most right wing Americans, it's one of the most important things in the world. :confused2:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi,
I have lived in NYC for most of my life, but fell in love with OZ years ago and have been living here for the last 5.5 years. I've loved it the whole time and since my wife has started working, she loves it here too (not so much as a student as no income and expensive city).

We are very left leaning, so the aspects that we love are universal health care for residents (PR), and the fact that everyone has a living wage (minimum wage is like 14/hr). But... stuff is more expensive here. If you want to live in a great area, expect NYC rental prices. Also, offshore refugee detention centers and underlying racism are negatives for us.

You'll be shocked by restaurant prices initially, but with no tip and tax included, what you see is what you pay, unlike the US. Customer service is far less attentive and they don't make exceptions. The internet can be dissappointing initially with download limits, but its just a different country, so things are not going to be like the USA despite plenty of similarities.

We live in Sydney and are a 15 minute walk from some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and 15 minutes from a major transport hub (walking). Life is good even though we both work approx 50-60 hours/week (uncommon for aus).
Hi SYD :)

What do you mean by "customer service is far less attentive" and underlying racism? Doesn't racism exist everywhere?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts