Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Myself and my wife are PR holders. My wife is planning to go to Melbourne in search for a job and would like her parents to come along to help her settle down. We are planning to apply for a 6 month stay under the tourist stream. From all the information I have come across for the visitor visa it seems like an invitation letter is required. However we are currently in India and it would be difficult to get one.

Is an invitation letter necessary? Would it be possible to get the visa without one? Also, is there any chance of getting a 6 month long stay approved? My in-laws will be able to show sufficient funds for supporting themselves during the 6-month stay.

Thanks,
dkmk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured this out on my own. Got a multiple entry visitor visa for my in-laws with 3 years validity and condition 8558 (max 12 months stay in 18 months period).

Here is how I went about applying for the Visa -

Sifting through the DIBP website and other forums did not give me a clear picture about how to apply. So I put myself in the COs position and thought about how I would scrutinize an application like mine. These are the questions I thought a CO would require answers to -

1. Why do you want to come to Australia?
2. Who are you?
3. Which part of Australia will you visit?
4. When will you come to Australia and how long do you intend to stay?
5. Do you have enough money to support your stay and travel in Australia?
6. What is the guarantee that you will go back to your home country?

Come to think of it, these are pretty standard questions, but what made it tricky for us was that we had not yet migrated to Australia and also had no job offers. Also we required a visa which would allow my in-laws to stay there for 6 months at a stretch instead of in chunks of 3 months.

Anyways, this is how I went about answering above questions with documents to back up my answers, though I am not sure what worked and what didn't. Got the visa, and I guess that's what matters in the end.

- Applied online under the tourist stream and gave requirement of staying for 6 months. This (obviously) said that my in-laws wish to come to Australia for tourist activities. So the next question was, why do they need 6 months for tourist activities? Our requirement was that my in-laws could help us settle down and also take up tourist activities. I decided to be honest about that and asked my wife to prepare a letter stating that she requires her parents to help her settle down and that she also wants them to visit various tourist destinations in Australia. Six months would be ideal for this and would give them sufficient time. I called this a 'Covering Letter' instead of an 'Invitation Letter' since we were not in Australia. Don't know if it makes any difference.
Since my wife had given the covering letter, I had to give proof of her relationship with her parents. So uploaded wife's birth certificate and passport scans. Also uploaded wife's bank statement for 1 year and her PR Grant Notification.

2. Who are you?
- Provided identity documents for in-laws - Aadhaar Card (which is the national identity document for India) and Passport. I uploaded scans of notarized copies of both. Few forums mentioned that if color scans of original are provided, then notarization is not required, but I am not sure about this. For passport I did not provide scans of all pages, only the ones which have information - stamps, visas etc. I have heard that agents ask for copies of all pages (including blank) of the passport, but that is not required.

- In the covering letter my wife mentioned that we would stay in Melbourne, however did not provide an address, as we did not have one. She mentioned that we would initially book a serviced apartment and later rent a place.

- My wife mentioned in her covering letter that her parents would stay for about 5 months and gave the month in which they would arrive in Australia. Did not mention exact dates as these were not finalized at the time of application.

- This was a tricky question as 'enough' is relative. However this was the most important question, as my wife would not be supporting her parents. She specifically mentioned this in the covering letter. My in-laws are more than capable of supporting themselves, however the question 'How much is considered enough?' still needed to be answered. Since we were planning to migrate, we had spent many hours calculating estimated monthly expenses in Melbourne, and had a pretty good idea about how much two people would need in a month. So multiplied that amount by the no.of months, added some extra, and we had an amount which would be 'enough'. Note that this amount should also include air ticket costs for returning back to home country. If you don't have the monthly expense estimates with you, then there are a few website which do it for you and should give you a ballpark figure (eg - https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/melbourne , Cost of Living in Australia | Expat Arrivals , https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Australia)

For my in-laws I had provided 1 - year bank statements, though I believe 6 months statement is enough. The CO would want to check that you have not borrowed and deposited money in your account just for the visa application and I think 6 months statement should be enough. Also uploaded tax-returns for the past 3 years. If you are providing term deposit receipts then ideally these should be maturing before your intended date of travel.

- In order to prove that you will go back to your country you need to show that you have 'substantial reason' to return to your country. 'Substantial reason' can be in form of close relatives (like dependent children) or substantial assets in home country. In my case we provided the sale agreement and sale deed of my in-laws house in India. This proved to be enough.

Apart from this, the fact that my in-laws have/had visas for U.S and U.K and have never overstayed in those countries must have helped a lot.

Overall I think questions 5 & 6 are the most important which you need to answer carefully. One last thing, I completed medicals for my in-laws before applying for the visa via immi account. This was because I found from other forums that visas with stay period of more than 3 months need medicals.

I hope above information is useful for others who are in similar situation.

- dkmk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi, thanks very much for posting this. I am also in the similar situation currently and plan to apply for mom's 600 visa. I had the following questions -

Within how much time was your visa processed ?
Did you also sent the scan copies of UK/US visa passport pages? Is scanned sufficient or notarized are mandatory ?
Did you find it difficult to apply for 600 visa yourself ?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks very much for posting this. I am also in the similar situation currently and plan to apply for mom's 600 visa. I had the following questions -

Within how much time was your visa processed ?
--> It took ~1 month.

Did you also sent the scan copies of UK/US visa passport pages?
--> Yes, all passport pages which had any information (visas, stamps etc)

Is scanned sufficient or notarized are mandatory ?
--> I have read that color scans are enough. During my PR application also some of the document scans were not notarized and did not have any problem. However safer option is to upload scans of notarized documents. That's what I did for my visa applications.

Did you find it difficult to apply for 600 visa yourself ?
--> You mean the online process? It is similar to the PR process so was straight forward for me.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Answered questions inline.

Thanks,
dkmk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi,

I was going through the form 1419 and had the following questions. If you can answer that it will be great help for me, thanks.

Did you do health check up for the parents before submitting the application? What all test were conducted ?

Did you take health insurance before submitting the application? If yes, where did you take it from ? What was the cost?

What did you give for residential address? Form mentions that "Failure to give your residential address will result in this application being invalid. A post office box address will not be accepted as your residential address."

How did you stick photograph to the form ?

How did you answer the following questions you are PR holder?
"Are you travelling to, or are you currently in, Australia with any family members?" ""Do you have a partner, any children, or fiancé who will NOT be travelling, or has NOT travelled, to Australia with you?"
27 ""Do you have any relatives in Australia?""
28 Do you have any friends or contacts in Australia?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Also in addition to the previous question ...i can see the form is PDF editable. So did you take the print out of all the pages, entered the details and scanned and again uploaded it to the site ? If not, then i can see it asks for the signature of the applicant as well. How did you manage that?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
579 Posts
In the case of the form which requires a signature, simply print that form, sign it, scan the signed copy and replace the page with the scanned one.
I had done that while applying for business visitor visa.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

I was going through the form 1419 and had the following questions. If you can answer that it will be great help for me, thanks.

-----> I did not submit 1419

Did you do health check up for the parents before submitting the application? What all test were conducted ?

----> Completed the health check ups before submitting application. I don't remember exactly but these were the tests done - Physical examination, Chest xray, Eye test, urine test. It was a subset of tests done for PR

Did you take health insurance before submitting the application? If yes, where did you take it from ? What was the cost?

----> You need to take health insurance only if condition 8501 is applied to your visa. Of-course, health insurance is advisable irrespective of 8501. I am hunting for a workable (there are no 'good' ones around) health insurance for my in-laws.

What did you give for residential address? Form mentions that "Failure to give your residential address will result in this application being invalid. A post office box address will not be accepted as your residential address."

How did you stick photograph to the form ?

How did you answer the following questions you are PR holder?

----> You need to answer these questions from your mother's perspective.

"Are you travelling to, or are you currently in, Australia with any family members?" ""Do you have a partner, any children, or fiancé who will NOT be travelling, or has NOT travelled, to Australia with you?"
27 ""Do you have any relatives in Australia?""
28 Do you have any friends or contacts in Australia?

Thanks in advance.
Answered questions which I could inline

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok thanks. So that means 1419 is not required if you are submitting the application online? I was under the impression it is required !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks. So that means 1419 is not required if you are submitting the application online? I was under the impression it is required !
yup, there was no document category under which you could upload this. However you may need to upload it if CO asks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
ok thanks.. i just figured out that the questions in the online application form are almost same as 1418 form so that is why this form may not be needed anymore.
On that note i was not able to understand this question -

Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?
Relatives, friends or contacts in Australia -Will the applicant visit any relatives, friends or contacts while in Australia?

What are we suppose to answer here in the first question? For the second question, as i have no yet immigrated i cannot say yes to it i suppose?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thanks.. i just figured out that the questions in the online application form are almost same as 1418 form so that is why this form may not be needed anymore.
On that note i was not able to understand this question -

Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?
-----> I answered No.
-----> Family consists of ones spouse and children who are below 18. For example, in your father's application, your mother will be considered as family. If she was not traveling with your father, and since she is neither an Australian citizen nor a permanent resident, your father would have had to give the answer as yes.

Relatives, friends or contacts in Australia -Will the applicant visit any relatives, friends or contacts while in Australia?
-----> I answered No, since my in-laws had not relatives/friends they could visit. It was straight forward in my in-laws case. I don't know the significance of this question.

What are we suppose to answer here in the first question? For the second question, as i have no yet immigrated i cannot say yes to it i suppose?
Answers/explanation inline ....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for this post, it helped me to apply for my mother's visitor visa and good news is that multiple entry visa was granted today fro three years. I made my application on the similar lines as you did and I have not even moved to Australia but I plan to do so as soon as I get a good opportunity.

However the below conditions are mentioned below and I was bit confused about it the one in bolds -

Stay Period 12 month(s) from the date of each arrival

Travel Facility Multiple
Visa Conditions 8501 - MAINTAIN HEALTH INSURANCE
8503 - NO FURTHER STAY
8558 - MAXIMUM 12 MONTHS STAY IN 18 MONTHS
8101 - NO WORK
8201 - MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY

Can you please help ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for this post, it helped me to apply for my mother's visitor visa and good news is that multiple entry visa was granted today fro three years. I made my application on the similar lines as you did and I have not even moved to Australia but I plan to do so as soon as I get a good opportunity.

However the below conditions are mentioned below and I was bit confused about it the one in bolds -

Stay Period 12 month(s) from the date of each arrival
--> Your visa is valid for 3 years. You can make multiple entries during these 3 years, but during any of these entries/visits you can stay in Australia for a maximum of 12 months at a stretch. After 12 months you must exit Australia. You can return back if your visa is valid (validity is 3 years) and if condition 8558 is not being violated.

Travel Facility Multiple
Visa Conditions 8501 - MAINTAIN HEALTH INSURANCE
--> You must have sufficient health insurance for the Visa to be considered valid. This link gives the explanation of what is considered sufficient by DIBP. If you don't have health insurance then your visa may be canceled. You may be asked to produce the proof of health insurance during your time of entry in to Australia.
8503 - NO FURTHER STAY
--> Once the validity of the visa has expired after 3 years, the person must exit Australia before applying for a new visa. As far as I know, he/she cannot even apply for extension while staying in Australia.
8558 - MAXIMUM 12 MONTHS STAY IN 18 MONTHS
--> In any 18 month stretch during your 3 year visa, you can stay for a maximum of 12 months (cumulative). Example - Person enters Australia and stays 6 months and exits. Now he/she comes back after 2 months and stays another 6 months. So since arrival, a period of 6 + 2 + 6 = 14 months have passed, out of which he/she has stayed for 6 + 6 = 12 months. Now in a 18 month stretch, the person has already stayed for 12 months. At the end of the 2nd 6 month stay the person must exit Australia and cannot return for the next 4 months (14 + 4 = 18). Apply this logic to any 18 month stretch in your 3 year validity of your visa.
8101 - NO WORK
8201 - MAXIMUM 3 MONTHS STUDY

Can you please help ?

Thanks in advance.
Explanations inline .....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Explanations inline .....
Thanks very much appreciate the help. For health insurance, is it sufficient to have insurance from India insurance providers like TATA AIG for the entire duration of the travel or we need to have some Australian company to cover the insurance part ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks very much appreciate the help. For health insurance, is it sufficient to have insurance from India insurance providers like TATA AIG for the entire duration of the travel or we need to have some Australian company to cover the insurance part ?
There is no restriction on where you get your health insurance from as long as it covers requirements of DIBP. You will have to do your own study regarding which Indian insurance provider satisfies these requirements.

I went with an Australian insurance provider (Allianz Global Visitor Plus) for two reasons -
  1. In the unfortunate event that I have to file a claim, it will be easier to communicate with an Australian insurance provider while in Australia.
  2. They generally give a letter clearly mentioning that they will cover all requirements laid down by DIBP. Indian providers don't.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I figured this out on my own. Got a multiple entry visitor visa for my in-laws with 3 years validity and condition 8558 (max 12 months stay in 18 months period).

Here is how I went about applying for the Visa -

Sifting through the DIBP website and other forums did not give me a clear picture about how to apply. So I put myself in the COs position and thought about how I would scrutinize an application like mine. These are the questions I thought a CO would require answers to -

2. Who are you?

Come to think of it, these are pretty standard questions, but what made it tricky for us was that we had not yet migrated to Australia and also had no job offers. Also we required a visa which would allow my in-laws to stay there for 6 months at a stretch instead of in chunks of 3 months.

Anyways, this is how I went about answering above questions with documents to back up my answers, though I am not sure what worked and what didn't. Got the visa, and I guess that's what matters in the end.

- Applied online under the tourist stream and gave requirement of staying for 6 months. This (obviously) said that my in-laws wish to come to Australia for tourist activities. So the next question was, why do they need 6 months for tourist activities? Our requirement was that my in-laws could help us settle down and also take up tourist activities. I decided to be honest about that and asked my wife to prepare a letter stating that she requires her parents to help her settle down and that she also wants them to visit various tourist destinations in Australia. Six months would be ideal for this and would give them sufficient time. I called this a 'Covering Letter' instead of an 'Invitation Letter' since we were not in Australia. Don't know if it makes any difference.
Since my wife had given the covering letter, I had to give proof of her relationship with her parents. So uploaded wife's birth certificate and passport scans. Also uploaded wife's bank statement for 1 year and her PR Grant Notification.

2. Who are you?
- Provided identity documents for in-laws - Aadhaar Card (which is the national identity document for India) and Passport. I uploaded scans of notarized copies of both. Few forums mentioned that if color scans of original are provided, then notarization is not required, but I am not sure about this. For passport I did not provide scans of all pages, only the ones which have information - stamps, visas etc. I have heard that agents ask for copies of all pages (including blank) of the passport, but that is not required.

- In the covering letter my wife mentioned that we would stay in Melbourne, however did not provide an address, as we did not have one. She mentioned that we would initially book a serviced apartment and later rent a place.

- My wife mentioned in her covering letter that her parents would stay for about 5 months and gave the month in which they would arrive in Australia. Did not mention exact dates as these were not finalized at the time of application.

- This was a tricky question as 'enough' is relative. However this was the most important question, as my wife would not be supporting her parents. She specifically mentioned this in the covering letter. My in-laws are more than capable of supporting themselves, however the question 'How much is considered enough?' still needed to be answered. Since we were planning to migrate, we had spent many hours calculating estimated monthly expenses in Melbourne, and had a pretty good idea about how much two people would need in a month. So multiplied that amount by the no.of months, added some extra, and we had an amount which would be 'enough'. Note that this amount should also include air ticket costs for returning back to home country. If you don't have the monthly expense estimates with you, then there are a few website which do it for you and should give you a ballpark figure (eg - https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/melbourne , Cost of Living in Australia | Expat Arrivals , https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Australia)

For my in-laws I had provided 1 - year bank statements, though I believe 6 months statement is enough. The CO would want to check that you have not borrowed and deposited money in your account just for the visa application and I think 6 months statement should be enough. Also uploaded tax-returns for the past 3 years. If you are providing term deposit receipts then ideally these should be maturing before your intended date of travel.

- In order to prove that you will go back to your country you need to show that you have 'substantial reason' to return to your country. 'Substantial reason' can be in form of close relatives (like dependent children) or substantial assets in home country. In my case we provided the sale agreement and sale deed of my in-laws house in India. This proved to be enough.

Apart from this, the fact that my in-laws have/had visas for U.S and U.K and have never overstayed in those countries must have helped a lot.

Overall I think questions 5 & 6 are the most important which you need to answer carefully. One last thing, I completed medicals for my in-laws before applying for the visa via immi account. This was because I found from other forums that visas with stay period of more than 3 months need medicals.

I hope above information is useful for others who are in similar situation.

- dkmk
-
Hi,

That's a brilliant write-up. I am filling application for my mother subclass-600 visa and come across few questions.

1.If I am filing application on behalf of my mother so all answers I address keep my mother as applicant like question "Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?" ---- So I should answer about my Non-Australian siblings Relationship as son/daughter since my mother is applicant, right?

2. Note: If the applicant intends to enter Australia more than once, select the longest period they plan to stay in Australia on a single visit
----So should I choose up to 6 months/up to 12 months based on the supported funds? Have you mentioned 6 months in your case, since you mentioned that your inlaws stay is max 12 months with multiple entries.

3. Will the applicant visit any relatives, friends or contacts while in Australia?
----So can I mention myself as I also write myself to receive written communication, does it create an issue?

4. Do I need to create separate account or can I use mine (used for Skill Immigration - 189) ? As it showing my reference number when I start filling application

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-
Hi,

That's a brilliant write-up. I am filling application for my mother subclass-600 visa and come across few questions.

1.If I am filing application on behalf of my mother so all answers I address keep my mother as applicant like question "Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?" ---- So I should answer about my Non-Australian siblings Relationship as son/daughter since my mother is applicant, right?

--> Correct. You need to answer from your mother's point of view. Family Unit consists of spouse and/or children below 18 years who are dependent on you. Do you have any siblings who fit this criteria w.r.t your mother? If yes, then you need to mention their details.

2. Note: If the applicant intends to enter Australia more than once, select the longest period they plan to stay in Australia on a single visit
----So should I choose up to 6 months/up to 12 months based on the supported funds? Have you mentioned 6 months in your case, since you mentioned that your inlaws stay is max 12 months with multiple entries

--> I had selected 6 months since that was my requirement. The support funds were well above what would be required for 6 months. Getting a 12 month stay was a pleasant surprise. If you need a 12 month stay, choose 12 months and arrange for support funds accordingly. Anyways, no matter how many months you mention, DIBP will allow stay duration as they see fit.

3. Will the applicant visit any relatives, friends or contacts while in Australia?
----So can I mention myself as I also write myself to receive written communication, does it create an issue?

--> I don't think it should create any issue.

4. Do I need to create separate account or can I use mine (used for Skill Immigration - 189) ? As it showing my reference number when I start filling application

--> I don't think a separate account is required. I faced the same dilemma and decided to open a separate account. No particular reason behind it. Just thought it would be safer option to show that my in-laws were applying on their own.
Answers in-line .....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts