Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how being a US citizen and also becoming an Australian permanent resident or citizen affects your income taxes? Do you pay taxes to both countries? Can you deduct one countries taxes from the taxes you pay to the other country?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
US Citizens and permanent residents have to file taxes every single year regardless of how much money is made. But I think that you don't pay any taxes (to the US) if your income is kept beneath a certain level, however, if you go over the amount, you wind up owing both countries. (Not a very nice situation)

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
You must file a US resident tax return every year, even if you are living abroad as you are taxed on your worldwide income (not just your US-based income). However, you get what's called a "foreign earned income exclusion" -- if your foreign (i.e. Australian) income is at or below a certain amount (last year it was $92,900) you are not required to pay tax on that income. Also, you may be able to deduct some housing costs from your taxes.

Also, the US and Australia have a tax treaty, which may allow you to deduct other expenses as well. It would be advisable to get in touch with an accountant who is familiar with tax laws as it pertains to expats.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From what I understand is that most countries have tax treaties to prevent double taxation. USA and Australia too have the same treaty.

As per the article 22 of this document http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/aus.pdf
You should receive credit for all the tax you paid in Australia while filing the US taxes.

I remember when I was in the US, I did not have to pay any taxes on the US salary here in India after coming back, because of the tax credit that I paid in the US.

The finer details on how much your actual tax implication would be, is best computed by a tax consultant.

·
Administrator
51,953 Posts
As a US citizen, you always have to file US taxes, reporting your worldwide income no matter where in the world you are resident.

Now, once you are resident elsewhere, you can claim the foreign earned income exclusion for "earned income" (which means basically salary) up to the current limit (something north of $92K).

Any other sort of income (interest, dividends, lottery winnings, etc.) is subject to US taxation - though you can claim the foreign tax credit for taxes paid on that income.

Go to the IRS website and download publication 54 for the details on filing US taxes from overseas.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.