Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Australia is a healthy economy with first world benefits and wonderful landscape. Which makes this land an attractive place for som many of us looking t come to a new country

However, there must be some share of problems in the land as well, which the senior expats are well aware of. And that most likely varies with city-to-city.
So, can we share the pros and cons, goods and "not-so-good" s of living down under in this forum.

Let us share our perspectives in this thread, how about this format:

(people who lived in more than one cities requested to make two separate posts)

THE GOOD
(top three things I love about living here)

THE BAD
(top three things I dislike about living here)

THE MINDIT
(top three things I need to keep in mind before or after moving there,may be crime rate, some particular paperwork, issues with some necessities etc)

thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Brisbane

The Good-
It's safe
You earn really good money
You have a say.

The Bad-
Not having your family here
The expenses
The price of petrol and food

The mindit
-You need to work hard to be able to afford living here.
-it's very safe, but thats no reason to be stupid and to hang out in dangerous places.
-This is the Australians country and we need to respect that.

My quick opinion. =)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Frankston South

The Good:
Weather
Lifestyle
Love living near to the beach

The Bad:
Driving standards (you need to have balls of steel to drive here)
Expensive to live here
How a lot of Australians start their sentences with one or all of the following : ah/yeah/look
(sorry it's all I could come up with!)

The mindit:
When you first come here and get a rental, take loads of photos/video of the property because during your stay the Real estate company don't really care what you do. They'll come for their inspection, mince around for 2 minutes then leave. When it comes to getting your bond back when you leave they will play dirty and try everything they can to get you to pay for stuff. For example, when we moved into our rental the grass was maybe 4ft high at the side of the house (it came up to my chest and until we cut it all back we didn't realise there was actually a path there!). When we moved out I spent 2 solid days weeding and making sure the garden was looking good. The RE totty then tried to say there were too many weeds and that i'd have to pay for a gardener to sort it out. When I politely emailed her back saying I'd got dated photos of how atrocious the garden was when we first moved in and how much work we had to do to it to get it to a liveable state, she never replied!

Rant over :lol:

Dolly

·
Registered
45 Posts
How a lot of Australians start their sentences with one or all of the following : ah/yeah/look
(sorry it's all I could come up with!)

I can actually recall hearing all three at the same time! 'Ah, yeah, look mate, its just not gonna work...'

Funny people, I love it! =P

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
When it comes to getting your bond back when you leave they will play dirty and try everything they can to get you to pay for stuff.

To get your bond back, why not just take the initiative to play dirty instead and stay the extra month without paying rent? That way, when they try to sue you for the extra month, you can just tell them to take it out of the bond. :tongue1:

Kidding, but it works in some places because the owner needs a court order and a marshal with the notice of eviction to literally throw the tenant out in the street!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guess what, I was thinking of Brisbane when I started the topic and first post is Brisbane....
however no posts as of yet about Melbourne, Canberra, Perth :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Every cent...... :lol:

Dolly

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
then the overall infrastructure is good, I know in Seattle some people always complaint they dont get it back

·
Registered
138 Posts
Gold coast

The good -
The space
The weather
The landscape

The bad -
No family (although sometimes this is not such a bad thing)
No decent chocolate or fish and chips
The bugs!

Keep in mind that although things seem more expensive here, wages tend to make up for it, and if anything iv found many things cheaper.
Also yes the rentals and real estates are shocking. The house we moved into was stinking with no water pressure from the showers ( even tho they said a plumber had checkef all the fittings prior to moving in) and had an infestation of spiders, ants and cockroaches!!! Yuk they said they had had pest control in too but I don't believe that, we paid $200 in the end ourselves! On our recent inspection the landlord came out with re and they were like tidy the garden up, get rid if the weeds and like dolly there's been a huge improvment on the garden to when we moved in, none of the repairs we have reported has ever been done either Grrrr cant wait to save a deposit to buy!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Melbourne (East)

The Good
-The people, everyone so nice and courteous, smiling & wishing everyone while walking on the road
-The weather, it is hot one moment and cold the other, rains almost the entire year but has enough sun
-The nature, cant get enough of it, there is so much to explore
-The Bar-b-q at the Parks
-Clean Clear Blue Sky
-From my window I can see 12 trees right outside my house right now, it is so green
I can go on and on

The Bad
-Some Aussies have a WHY ARE YOU HERE, YOU DONT BELONG HERE attitude
-Spiders, have not come across the dangerous ones but there are webs everywhere, needs constant cleaning
-Mold in the bathrooms and Weed in the Lawn

The Mind Its
-Expensive, Food etc is fine but the clothes are so expensive, specially for Kids. Anything below 40$ is bad quality, with a 17 month old I have to buy an entire wardrobe every season
-Real Estate is a ripper
-getting your first job is not easy, when no one is willing to give you a break how do they expect you to gain Local Experience
-Unless you have paid tv, the unpaid ones are sad
-Food is expensive

·
Registered
353 Posts
The mindit:
When you first come here and get a rental, take loads of photos/video of the property because during your stay the Real estate company don't really care what you do.

Dolly
Dolly - This is key info. Thanks for sharing this, will keep this in mind.

Any one from Adelaide?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Melbourne (East)

The Good
-The people, everyone so nice and courteous, smiling & wishing everyone while walking on the road
-The weather, it is hot one moment and cold the other, rains almost the entire year but has enough sun
-The nature, cant get enough of it, there is so much to explore
-The Bar-b-q at the Parks
-Clean Clear Blue Sky
-From my window I can see 12 trees right outside my house right now, it is so green
I can go on and on

The Bad
-Some Aussies have a WHY ARE YOU HERE, YOU DONT BELONG HERE attitude
-Spiders, have not come across the dangerous ones but there are webs everywhere, needs constant cleaning
-Mold in the bathrooms and Weed in the Lawn

The Mind Its
-Expensive, Food etc is fine but the clothes are so expensive, specially for Kids. Anything below 40$ is bad quality, with a 17 month old I have to buy an entire wardrobe every season
-Real Estate is a ripper
-getting your first job is not easy, when no one is willing to give you a break how do they expect you to gain Local Experience
-Unless you have paid tv, the unpaid ones are sad
-Food is expensive
anj can u plz explain the part "some aussies scream WHY ARE YOU HERE" , does this happen a lot part of everyday ? Do people come up at you at supermarkets and give you hateful looks, shout at you while ur walking on the road and you get racially abused at least once a week by strangers ? Plz let me know as this is disturbing. do People in workplace talk racist stuff ALL The time ??

The reason i ask is because when i was studying in Russia , people would spit on my face, call me all kind of hateful stuff because i'm brown, i used to fight with White racists all the time over there... It was the most disturbing experience in my life i hate racists and i hope Australia is not the same, plz clarify.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi Russ I know you asked ani but ill jump in quick and say iv not witnessed any such behaviour at all. I'm white so don't get comments about my skin colour however it is very multi cultural and no where have a witnessed any racism. You may get the odd aussie who is overly patriotic and doesn't like any immigrants despite the colour of skin but this is something you'll get everywhere I think and again its not what iv seen. From my experience so far people have been more than welcoming, interested about why you moved etc but nothing more. Please don't fret tho, sounds like you had a horrible experience in Russia :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Riza2012 said:
any can u plz explain the part "some aussies scream WHY ARE YOU HERE" , does this happen a lot part of everyday ? Do people come up at you at supermarkets and give you hateful looks, shout at you while ur walking on the road and you get racially abused at least once a week by strangers ? Plz let me know as this is disturbing. do People in workplace talk racist stuff ALL The time ??

The reason i ask is because when i was studying in Russia , people would spit on my face, call me all kind of hateful stuff because i'm brown, i used to fight with White racists all the time over there... It was the most disturbing experience in my life i hate racists and i hope Australia is not the same, plz clarify.
You can't compare Australia to Russia. Russia is a very racist country, I'm quite sad of the degree of open racism back there.

Obviously Australians don't like newcomers complaining to much about their country. If you keep saying to your friends "Australia is too expensive, too crowded, too busy and etc", it is only natural they might say "Well go home".
In general the population here is very friendly and extremely polite. It is no where even close to Russia, where racism is a public policy.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
not as often as you assumed from my post. if it was that often I would have put it in the Bad and not Mind it section, once in a while, yes you do come across some.

No they don't spit on your face or say things to you upfront but their behavior shows they are not pleased by our presence but they are harmless, they might just show you a cold shoulder. In 10 months that I have been here, I have come across 3-4 of them. I have to deal with one almost everyday, the person is just plain rude. You get used to it eventually. When I was working a colleague used to behave the same way, they just act superior, i wonder why because they too are not originally from Australia, none of the white (as you call them) are. They all are of British origin who came to Australia some or the other time or whose forefathers were sent by Britishers. Aboriginals are the actual Australians. If i stay here all my life, three generations down the line my family will say we are Australians but the fact remains, I came from India in 2011 :p.

Anyways, I dont understand this ""Oh this is my country"" attitude, you dont owe the place, you just happened to be born there, why make such a big thing about it, one should be proud in his own space

Reactions: Riza2012

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been here for a year now, and have not faced a single issue yet. People with the "oh this is my area" attitude exist everywhere. Even back in India, I do not think it is any different or anywhere for that matter. In office as well, I work in team where almost all are the white ozs - havent had any issues and it is one of the best work places I have had in my career. amongst India and elsewhere overseas.

The only "mind it" that I see here is that most of the services are on contract and once you are locked in , it is tough and may cost a lot to get out. Most of the contract providers require direct debits as well. Also be very careful of the real estate agents - be it for rental or buying/selling. They dont give a damn if you are white or not, its just your money that they are after. If you are going to deal with a car showroom, that is another "mind it". Make sure you have done a good research and are 100% convinced that the product /service is worth your money, and be aware of all the terms and conditions.

not as often as you assumed from my post. if it was that often I would have put it in the Bad and not Mind it section, once in a while, yes you do come across some.

No they don't spit on your face or say things to you upfront but their behavior shows they are not pleased by our presence but they are harmless, they might just show you a cold shoulder. In 10 months that I have been here, I have come across 3-4 of them. I have to deal with one almost everyday, the person is just plain rude. You get used to it eventually. When I was working a colleague used to behave the same way, they just act superior, i wonder why because they too are not originally from Australia, none of the white (as you call them) are. They all are of British origin who came to Australia some or the other time or whose forefathers were sent by Britishers. Aboriginals are the actual Australians. If i stay here all my life, three generations down the line my family will say we are Australians but the fact remains, I came from India in 2011 :p.

Anyways, I dont understand this ""Oh this is my country"" attitude, you dont owe the place, you just happened to be born there, why make such a big thing about it, one should be proud in his own space

Reactions: Riza2012

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I agree with oz, most people are unbelievably nice and some are nicer :p.. beware of contracts for all services, real estate agents can be a real pain when you are about to leave the rental or buy a property :p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Melbourne (East)

Is this, I mean the local exp, a major problem everywhere in Oz or something confined to Mel alone?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i think that is the case all over the world, finding a job in India too isnt easy now but if you are open to taking a lower role, it isnt that difficult here

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.