Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I have Australia PR while i got a job in New Zealand .... I few questions in my mind as below

1- If i work in New Zealand for one Year will it be counted as part of Australia residency ? or still i have to spend 4 years in Australia to get Australia Passport ?

2- What will be the scenario if i work 4 years in New Zealand , at the end i will get New Zealand passport or will be applicable for Australian one ?

3- What is the main difference between Australia and New Zealand passport ?

4- With New Zealand passport i can own any property in Australia ?

Many Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
1. No, any time spent in NZ will NOT count as time spent in Australia for residency purposes (for an RRV or citizenship)! NZ is a separate country!

2. It's actually five years of residence in NZ to obtain New Zealand citizenship. You need to become a permanent resident of NZ to qualify. The residence visa granted to Australian citizens and permanent residents upon arrival in NZ is NOT a permanent resident visa.

3. Well, the Australian passport is issued by Australian authorities and the NZ passport is issued by NZ authorities. That is the difference.

4. NZ citizens can own property in Australia without needing approval from the FIRB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Everyone

I have Australia PR while i got a job in New Zealand .... I few questions in my mind as below

1- If i work in New Zealand for one Year will it be counted as part of Australia residency ? or still i have to spend 4 years in Australia to get Australia Passport ?

2- What will be the scenario if i work 4 years in New Zealand , at the end i will get New Zealand passport or will be applicable for Australian one ?

3- What is the main difference between Australia and New Zealand passport ?

4- With New Zealand passport i can own any property in Australia ?

Many Thanks
Many Thanks ozbound12

For my 3rd question i wanted to know in terms of Passport value, I heard with Australian passport there is no need for H1 work visa for USA while with NZ it's required .... IS there any website / link that can show these difference ?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You need a work visa for the US even on an Australian passport. Australia and NZ are fairly similar so I can't see one passport being valued more highly than the other. There is a ranking of passports somewhere, I'm sure if you Google you can find it. I find those things rather silly really.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Your current plan would mean that the moment you left NZ after the point where your Aus PR is 5 years old you would nO longer be allowed to reenter either NZ or australia as you would not qualify for a RRV. Even if you had a job in NZ you loose your work rights the moment you leave and can't get them back. a very bad plan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts