Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 7+ years of IT experience in IT development. But I do not have ICT qualification as my graduation is from Electrical Engineering. I think I can apply for Australia PR under Application Type - RPL.

How many points will I get for my occupation?

I fall under <32 years age band now which gives me 30 points. But what if my age cross this age band after applying to DIAC? Will I still get 30 points for my age?

I heard that for non-ICT qualification, you can get points only when you have 9 years of experience. Is that true? If yes, can I use Skill Assessment letter which I will get now for 7+ years, after 18 months and apply for PR so that I will get 9 years of experience by that time?

What is the validity for IELTS score?

Thanks,
PP

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi pratappeddinti,

your points are calculated "at the time you are invited to apply" for the visa. If you can lodge the application before your birthday, you are good, otherwise the points will automatically reduce.

Nine years is incorrect but if you have no formal ICT qualification, some of your work experience can substitute for it. As an Electrical Engineering graduate you may have a chance to get it assessed as a bachelor with a minor in ICT by ACS if your degree contained at least 20% ICT subjects. Sit down with your mark sheet and do a quick calculation. That plus 5 years of relevant work experience will get you positive assessment from ACS. If you are unsure, apply in the "General Skills" stream anyway - the assessor will allow you to switch to Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if s/he thinks that you did not have enough ICT subjects. With RPL 6 years of relevant work experience substitute for a formal degree. And yes, you need the full 5 or 6 years at the time of assessment. DIAC has no requirement that you need work experience, but ACS does. More information: ACS Summary of Criteria, ACS Skills Assessment Guidelines and RPL FAQs

Your IELTS result must be not older than 3 years at the time you apply and you need at least a band 6 in all four areas. Source: DIAC Booklet 6

Cheers,
Monika

1 - 3 of 3 Posts