1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
This news coupled with massive delays on current Lodged applications would mean that new EOI and ITA applicants could potentially be affected.

It would also reduce the country overall competitiveness as new migrants will think twice before committing to Australia

Reactions: commie_rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
This news coupled with massive delays on current Lodged applications would mean that new EOI and ITA applicants could potentially be affected.

It would also reduce the country overall competitiveness as new migrants will think twice before committing to Australia
Playing devil's advocate here.

I believe this is a positive step. It's not against immigration - it attracts the right people to permanently settle and contribute to the country. To be honest, the quality of immigrants, at least a large percentage of us, heading over to Australia is appalling. Most have never even stepped foot in the country to begin with, what more to say about the struggles of assimilation and whether they can translate well into the workforce.

If we can't survive through a provisional visa, then I don't think we deserve settling in the country permanently.

And trust me, implementing this visa will not reduce the country's overall competitiveness, be it economically or otherwise. It'll aid in getting the right people in.

My 2c.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I believe this is a positive step. It's not against immigration - it attracts the right people to permanently settle and contribute to the country. To be honest, the quality of immigrants, at least a large percentage of us, heading over to Australia is appalling. Most have never even stepped foot in the country to begin with, what more to say about the struggles of assimilation and whether they can translate well into the workforce.

If we can't survive through a provisional visa, then I don't think we deserve settling in the country permanently.

And trust me, implementing this visa will not reduce the country's overall competitiveness, be it economically or otherwise. It'll aid in getting the right people in.

My 2c.
Couldn't agree more on your first point about ease of settlement. Only if the improved visa scheme would allow similar features to 189/190 so that employers won't find it hard to hire immigrants.

Regards,,

·
Registered
195 Posts
No its not... you need to go through the link you provided!

this is just a public consultation paper even that is open till september 15th!

there is probably going to be a debate on it and then a bill prepared and then passed through the assembly ( a time taking process) and the implementation will itself take some time.
So all in all not within this week ,next year atleast if not more...

more plausible explanation for the delay is due to the policies already announced during April and may...

Reactions: seanzyc

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

My 2c.
I agree, sort of. First the agreement: I have to agree that the current visa system is allowing a large percentage of appalling candidates through. It's also negative for the candidates who will return to boards such as these decrying being unable to get a job. I have found the whole process to be a very blunt instrument in general. I do not, for one moment, believe that Australia needs thousands of IT and Accountancy grads from unremarkable universities with near zero experience and a poor grasp of English. But the points system delivers them. ACS in particular is struggling to identify value.

On the other hand, Australia needs to recognise that migrating across the ocean is not a trivial matter. Most of us will be burning bridges to some degree. The idea that after a few years some hurdle must be crossed would dissuade many, especially candidates with families (who will tend to be older and with more experience -> which is what the market is demanding). I would not have started this journey if I thought that in 3 years I could be ejected through some hit and miss visa process. I couldn't risk doing that to my children.

For me, I think the provisional period won't make much difference. Those who are going PR, want to stay. Those who don't succeed, leave. And once they leave, Australia has lost nothing. If Australia want to smarten up the Visa process, it's straightforward: sort out the skills assessments, sort out the granularity (or lack thereof) of skills groups, make the point scoring far more nuanced for in-demand skills.

·
Registered
151 Posts
These are calling the public for discussions. You can share your opinion before 15 Sep. Then it still needs heaps of time to debate, negotiate and make the policy.

I don’t think this will delay the release of OC simply because the reform of visa system is a long term battle. It is not likely to pause the whole process for such a long time.

In fact, the webpage is already ready. You may check out the last few posts in the thread ‘189 occupation ceilings for 2017-2018: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...5-189-occupation-ceiling-2017-2018-a-22.html’. I personally think they will release the oc by next week.

G

·
I completely disagree with you. Australia is fair country and they wont make such drastic changes before public poll. in my opinion, this will divide immigrants and Australian citizens and new migrants may not feel attracted to move to Australia just like UK or USA. Australian economy need workforce and fair immigration is the main reason it attracted most talented people worldwide. Think of it as a whole process, people wait atleast a year and half before moving permanently to Australia if they passed the criteria. Existing procedure is already strict and on top of it mandatory provisional visa path may make the whole process more complicated. I think they won't make such decisions in hurry and give it lot of thought before implementing any decision. Already they made lot of changes that took after so many years. i doubt they will introduce further changes so immediately. It will take some time till they acquire more immigrants, they still need lot of workforce and issue is that there is overload of application and they already cut down immigration personnel to handle visas and hence we are experiencing delay in ITA also due to that. But soon they will make the process more efficient and effective.

Let's hope for the best. I am planning since two years to move to Australia. and have no idea how much further i have to wait to actually move there. I still have a job and didn't resign yet. I am hoping things will speed up for sure.

My 2c.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts