Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have US DL and went to NSW Services to get it transferred to Australia DL. They said that my US driving license is not as per the format copy they refer to make the check. May be as my US DL format is way back from 2008 and that may be the reason. Any idea what I can do now?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have US DL and went to NSW Services to get it transferred to Australia DL. They said that my US driving license is not as per the format copy they refer to make the check. May be as my US DL format is way back from 2008 and that may be the reason. Any idea what I can do now?
That is very odd. Which US State license do you have? The last US license I had was from NJ and I had got the first one in 2008 then renewed in 2011. Both looked exactly the same. When I was at the RTA in Hurstville to get my NSW license back in 2014, I recall the lady comparing my license against a book (probably a book of how US licenses appear and for ensuring that the license is genuine).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rahul for the reply.
Yes, you are right regarding the comparison process. NSW Service rep said that my Texas driving license is not matching the sample they have.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I may not be of much help then. When did your TX license expire? I believe they only consider current or licenses that expired less than 5 years ago.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Do they have same process for Indian DL also ?
Same process as in just convert your Indian License to an Australian License without giving any kind of test? Thankfully, No!

I think (but not sure) the only benefit you might get is that with an Indian License, after you have passed the various tests, you will get a full License and will not have to go through a P1 & P2.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guys, I have my singapore licence since 2012 . So, can I directly get NSW licence from RTO office without showing my India driving licence or must show both country licence?

Thx

·
Registered
737 Posts
Guys, I have my singapore licence since 2012 . So, can I directly get NSW licence from RTO office without showing my India driving licence or must show both country licence?

Thx
No need to show your Indian licence. Just give your Singapore licence, fill the forms and exchange it for an NSW licence. It is better to get a driving history record also from Singaore so that you will get a full licence (to show that you have more than 3 years of driving experience).

I had a Canadian licence and i exchanged it for a full NSW licence, even though i have an Indian licence also.

Moving to NSW - Licence - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

·
Registered
122 Posts
No need to show your Indian licence. Just give your Singapore licence, fill the forms and exchange it for an NSW licence. It is better to get a driving history record also from Singaore so that you will get a full licence (to show that you have more than 3 years of driving experience).

I had a Canadian licence and i exchanged it for a full NSW licence, even though i have an Indian licence also.

Moving to NSW - Licence - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

Thx for your reply JK684 .,

I have Singapore licence since 2012, but the problem is I don't have any driving history record, bcos I didn't buy any vehicle or drive here . Last September only I renew my license So, that license valid date until 2022. what should I do for this situation JK ? Is it possible to get NOC from here or not necessary ?

Did they ask you to show your Canada driving record ? Or you submitted the record without they asking ?

Thank you

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thx for your reply JK684 .,

I have Singapore licence since 2012, but the problem is I don't have any driving history record, bcos I didn't buy any vehicle or drive here . Last September only I renew my license So, that license valid date until 2022. what should I do for this situation JK ? Is it possible to get NOC from here or not necessary ?

Did they ask you to show your Canada driving record ? Or you submitted the record without they asking ?

Thank you
I gave the driving history even though they didnt ask for it specifically. If your Singapore licence shows the first issue date, then it should be fine i guess. Irrespective of whether you drive or own a car, you should be able to get some sort of driving record rite ? I dont know about how it works in Singapore. I didnt have a car in Canada, but still i got my driving history from the Govt agency there.

You can contact NSW RMS if you have any specific questions reg. your licence. I did contact them for a question related to my licence. But the reply was delayed ( i think about 3-4 weeks).

https://secure.rms.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/

·
Registered
122 Posts
I gave the driving history even though they didnt ask for it specifically. If your Singapore licence shows the first issue date, then it should be fine i guess. Irrespective of whether you drive or own a car, you should be able to get some sort of driving record rite ? I dont know about how it works in Singapore. I didnt have a car in Canada, but still i got my driving history from the Govt agency there.

You can contact NSW RMS if you have any specific questions reg. your licence. I did contact them for a question related to my licence. But the reply was delayed ( i think about 3-4 weeks).

https://secure.rms.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/

Thanks JK for your kind reply

1 - 13 of 13 Posts