Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
8,581 - 8,600 of 9,789 Posts
Hey, still no approval? I think it’s maybe time for an FOI. Travelling for just 4 weeks shouldn’t impact your application. Many people do and one can’t sit tight for the whole process to complete which takes about a year. Unless of course you’re always travelling and then tell them your going for another 6 months. That would raise flags.

I don’t think it’s because of that as by Sept-Oct you could have become a citizen had you gotten your approval right away. I’m not sure if an FOI at this point would give some answers. But in the rare chance it does, might be worth raising one?
No, not yet. This is really strange to me aswell. I did raise FOI and got this response within 2.5 weeks “Thank you for submitting a Freedom of Information (FOI) request. However, I am returning this application and supporting documents to you. The scope of your request appears to be predominately seeking advice or an explanation in relation to your current application for citizenship (or visa application)”
I had raised FOI using the format provided to me in one of the threads.

No, not yet. This is really strange to me aswell. I did raise FOI and got this response within 2.5 weeks “Thank you for submitting a Freedom of Information (FOI) request. However, I am returning this application and supporting documents to you. The scope of your request appears to be predominately seeking advice or an explanation in relation to your current application for citizenship (or visa application)”
I had raised FOI using the format provided to me in one of the threads.
Travelling for 4 weeks in Sep is not a reason for your application being on hold. I say this because my mate had his test last week and he is travelling for 4 weeks next month and it was approved in 30 mins flat.

This is tricky, as being overseas before the ceremony may cause some issues.
I am in the same boat as you. So my plan is to stay onshore while everything gets finished.

Any info from other people?
If the test is passed and application approved. Does being overseas before the ceremony cause further delays?
Hey
Happened to me. I was overseas when I got the ceremony invite which I couldnt attend. I got a no-show letter and got invited for the next ceremony which I did attend.
I believe the validity of approval is for a year and if we dont attend the ceremony within that time, it resets the entire process again as in apply new citizenship application again, review, approval etc..

Travelling for 4 weeks in Sep is not a reason for your application being on hold. I say this because my mate had his test last week and he is travelling for 4 weeks next month and it was approved in 30 mins flat.
You are right, but one of the important factor in that is council ceremony time, which in my case was 9 months coinciding with my travel dates.
Apart from this I cannot think of anything else. I tried requesting FOI but it wasn’t successful either.

You are right, but one of the important factor in that is council ceremony time, which in my case was 9 months coinciding with my travel dates.
Apart from this I cannot think of anything else. I tried requesting FOI but it wasn’t successful either.
it is good to have reasoning in mind to give you some mental comfort, But in your case, travel in Sept is not the right reason to put your application on hold, ask yourself on-hold till when? Till Getting back from a hypothetical travel date ..

Travel is an issue if it is for prolonged period only. They take the chance to ask the question in the interview and keep the answer for information. The usual question is about travel plans in the next six month. Beyond six months who cares it is distant future.

look, your situation is normal 100% .
my wife invite to test was delayed more than 2 months after everyone else, some friends get the approval after 3 months, all is usual.
Police clearance is not the same for all. If you have a common name or worked in army or name similarity it can cause this kind of delays. (Google your name and see how many results 😬) Being known in different names or spellings cause an issue etc.

My conclusion:
- it is normal and nothing you can do but waiting in the dark peacefully.

it is good to have reasoning in mind to give you some mental comfort, But in your case, travel in Sept is not the right reason to put your application on hold, ask yourself on-hold till when? Till Getting back from a hypothetical travel date ..

Travel is an issue if it is for prolonged period only. They take the chance to ask the question in the interview and keep the answer for information. The usual question is about travel plans in the next six month. Beyond six months who cares it is distant future.

look, your situation is normal 100% .
my wife invite to test was delayed more than 2 months after everyone else, some friends get the approval after 3 months, all is usual.
Police clearance is not the same for all. If you have a common name or worked in army or name similarity it can cause this kind of delays. (Google your name and see how many results 😬) Being known in different names or spellings cause an issue etc.

My conclusion:
- it is normal and nothing you can do but waiting in the dark peacefully.
Thats true, all i can do is patiently wait which is the hardest bit.

Hi everyone, my citizenship application is approved and am waiting for the ceremony. I will be travelling overseas next month for ~3-4 months. Does anyone know if I should update my travel dates, and if so how? I checked my immi account and I can't find the option for this.

Thanks
This is tricky, as being overseas before the ceremony may cause some issues.
I am in the same boat as you. So my plan is to stay onshore while everything gets finished.

Any info from other people?
If the test is passed and application approved. Does being overseas before the ceremony cause further delays?
After approval, you’re all clear. Nobody bothers to check where you are. You can go overseas and come back. You’ll get a ceremony invite irrespective.

You can come for the ceremony or skip and attend the next one depending on flexibility of your travel. You’ll get a no show letter and be invited to the next ceremony. Just keep in mind to attend a ceremony within 1 year of your approval though.

Its up to you if you want to inform them which you can do via immi account (just a statement with your travel details) or call them and they’ll make a note. Either way you’ll still get invited to the ceremony. I don’t think they do anything with your travel dates after approval.

Thats true, all i can do is patiently wait which is the hardest bit.
Agreed. Happened to me during my PR process, it was a long painful wait for 15-18 months. But at the time I had to leave the country and my family here which was the hardest part. With absolutely no communication from them so I had no idea what went wrong. I kept finding reasons like maybe because I’m onshore or my documents weren’t enough etc.

But eventually it came and it seemed like it was only processing delays from their end. So made this process very easy. I’m least bothered about the wait for citizenship as PR has almost all the benefits and you can be here. Easier said than done I know. But eventually it will come and that’s true :)

Agreed. Happened to me during my PR process, it was a long painful wait for 15-18 months. But at the time I had to leave the country and my family here which was the hardest part. With absolutely no communication from them so I had no idea what went wrong. I kept finding reasons like maybe because I’m onshore or my documents weren’t enough etc.

But eventually it came and it seemed like it was only processing delays from their end. So made this process very easy. I’m least bothered about the wait for citizenship as PR has almost all the benefits and you can be here. Easier said than done I know. But eventually it will come and that’s true :)
Well, that’s true. Thank you for taking the time to write these encouraging words.
Hoping for the best. 😊

Hi Team,

Hoping someone can help me with a few queries of mine.

1. I applied for citizenship on 20.03.2023 and I was asked for an Indian Police Clearance Certificate. I had my appointment with VFS Canberra but they didn't accept my application as I live in Sydney. I prefer not posting my application to the Sydney office and I'm planning to travel to India end of April and get the Certificate directly. Would it be an issue if I upload my PCC at the end of April? What would be the maximum time I'm allowee before I can upload PCC to my application.

2. As mentioned earlier in one of my posts, I incorrectly answered the questions in relation to my parents passport used to enter Australia. They've never been to Australia but I provided the passport details. Is there a way for me to rectify this error or update the same?

3. Since I plan to travel to India in April just for 4 days to get my PCC, would this cause processing delays with my application? As well as how should I inform DHA of my travel as I did not mention it on my Citizenship application as I was unaware that VFS Canberra would reject my application for PCC.

I highly appreciate your responses!

Thank you very much!

Hi Team,

1. I applied for citizenship on 20.03.2023 and I was asked for an Indian Police Clearance Certificate. I had my appointment with VFS Canberra but they didn't accept my application as I live in Sydney. I prefer not posting my application to the Sydney office and I'm planning to travel to India end of April and get the Certificate directly. Would it be an issue if I upload my PCC at the end of April? What would be the maximum time I'm allowee before I can upload PCC to my application.

2. As mentioned earlier in one of my posts, I incorrectly answered the questions in relation to my parents passport used to enter Australia. They've never been to Australia but I provided the passport details. Is there a way for me to rectify this error or update the same?

3. Since I plan to travel to India in April just for 4 days to get my PCC, would this cause processing delays with my application? As well as how should I inform DHA of my travel as I did not mention it on my Citizenship application as I was unaware that VFS Canberra would reject my application for PCC.

Thank you very much!
Travelling all the way to India for a PCC? I’m sure you’ll have your reasons considering the costs involved.
Otherwise If you don’t want to post to Vfs Sydney why not try a walk-in or book an appointment in Sydney? If it’s like Vfs Melbourne then they could be only opening slots on the 2nd week of the month or so, might have to check weekly for their slots.

But if you want to go with your plans then just write a letter with your explanations in a word doc to the case officer. Explaining you’ll attach the PCC by April and you’ll be travelling to get it. Can also mention that you’re parents haven’t travelled to Oz and it was an error.

Its always better to be transparent and give all the information beforehand. As if they ask for it then they only provide 28 days or a statement for delays. So it’s the same if you’re proactive with yours comms. I know a few people who were asked for PCC at the time of interview. So you probably do have enough time to get it.

Hi Team,

Thank you very much!
I did 3 passports and 2 PCC all by post and if you had posted it on 21st for e.g, they would've received it by now and would have started the processing. Sorry mate your fear is unfounded and if you want to go this way, it is your wish.

On point 1 - You can upload PCC anytime, doesn't matter, but a decision will not be made until you do so.

On point no 2, You can use your immiaccount to update details. Just follow the steps there.

On point 3 - You can choose not to, as it is just 4 days and they will come to know anyways.

All the best..!

Reactions: sheldondsilva29
Does anyone know if I want to apply for Urgent Citizenship Ceremonies? How can I submit a request? I am under the City of Melbourne council. Any email or contact method I can send through a request?

Does anyone know if I want to apply for Urgent Citizenship Ceremonies? How can I submit a request? I am under the City of Melbourne council. Any email or contact method I can send through a request?
If you have compassionate or compelling grounds for an urgent ceremony, you may request one through the Department of Home Affairs by completing the Request for urgent citizenship ceremony form and emailing it to ceremony dot nsw at homeaffairs.gov.au

Do I need to attached my parents passport in application?
And I just passed driving test, about to do my P1 license now, but I use my learner permit to apply citizenship. What should I do in this case ? Waiting till citizenship done then do license ?

Thank you for answering me

Thanks Nelly and Fugitive for your replies!

I was not keen on sending through my application to VFS Sydney just because I was thinking I can get it done sooner in India, but after reading your replies I've decided to express post my application for PCC tomorrow to VFS Sydney.

Fingers crossed!

Appreciate your prompt replies :)

I have a B. Marine Enginnering degree from DMET kolkata and I sailed on ships for 13 years.
I joined a shore based job in a shipping company in 2019 as a Technical Superintendant where I manage the operation of ships.
Which ANZSCO code should i choose- Engineering Manager or Mechanical Engineer.
Please help

Thanks Nelly and Fugitive for your replies!

I was not keen on sending through my application to VFS Sydney just because I was thinking I can get it done sooner in India, but after reading your replies I've decided to express post my application for PCC tomorrow to VFS Sydney.

Fingers crossed!

Appreciate your prompt replies :)
Good decision(y). FYI I’ve tried both options and VFS is much simpler as opposed to standing in multiple queues at the passport office mumbai, it drains you and it’s a big waste of the entire day. Not to forget the traffic to battle to reach there and also standing outside the office to be called in the hot humid sun. Then tackle your way through the first queue which has everybody in general until they categorise you for PCC. Lol fun times;)

8,581 - 8,600 of 9,789 Posts