Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 2307 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Australian Citizenship waiting period

Hi All,

I have applied for Australian citizenship by conferral on 23/Oct/2017 and waiting for the department to respond. Have anybody facing the same situation as mine. How long will it take the dept to call us for the citizenship test followed by ceremony.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
RS

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
There is a backlog of applications due to the Department placing applications lodged between April and October of last year on hold (as a result of pending legislation that did not pass). Based on what I've seen, people are waiting several months for test dates. Unfortunately, you will need to be patient. The citizenship process involves a lot of waiting (test dates, test appointments, approval, ceremony).

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a backlog of applications due to the Department placing applications lodged between April and October of last year on hold (as a result of pending legislation that did not pass). Based on what I've seen, people are waiting several months for test dates. Unfortunately, you will need to be patient. The citizenship process involves a lot of waiting (test dates, test appointments, approval, ceremony).
On that note, if I apply a Citizenship and can move out of Australia after applying? Perhaps after the test? Or even before the test when I know my scheduled appointment for test and I can come and attend the test.

In both of these scenarios, (First scenario is, I finished the test and maybe await the test result and or ceremony date, can I travel outside? Say to India or any other country for work or pleasure). Please note, I am a PR and I don't know what is mean by Conferral in OP's post.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Normally how many days it takes for citizenship?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
On that note, if I apply a Citizenship and can move out of Australia after applying? Perhaps after the test? Or even before the test when I know my scheduled appointment for test and I can come and attend the test.

In both of these scenarios, (First scenario is, I finished the test and maybe await the test result and or ceremony date, can I travel outside? Say to India or any other country for work or pleasure). Please note, I am a PR and I don't know what is mean by Conferral in OP's post.
To confer means to grant, thus citizenship by conferral is citizenship by grant (application).

Your application for citizenship will not be approved while you are outside the country. Theoretically you could leave the country after the approval and come back for the ceremony I guess. You do not become a citizen until you attend the ceremony and take the pledge.

·
Registered
477 Posts
To confer means to grant, thus citizenship by conferral is citizenship by grant (application).

Your application for citizenship will not be approved while you are outside the country. Theoretically you could leave the country after the approval and come back for the ceremony I guess. You do not become a citizen until you attend the ceremony and take the pledge.
Thank you. So I am still trying to understand what do you mean by "Approved". What are all the various stages in it?

How do I know when I should book a test?
How do I know I passed the test?
How do I know my citizenship is approved and when? Is it after the test you are talking about? Subject to passing!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You don't book the test - HSA (previously DIBP) will contact you to advise when your test has been scheduled. If the date's not convenient, you can contact them to ask that it be rescheduled. You will know immediately after taking the test whether you have passed the test or not.

They will send you a letter to confirm if your citizenship application has been approved and to advise that your local council will contact you regarding the ceremony date.

The timing between the test and confirming of your application being approved can be anywhere from days to months so the timing is unpredictable.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You don't book the test - HSA (previously DIBP) will contact you to advise when your test has been scheduled. If the date's not convenient, you can contact them to ask that it be rescheduled. You will know immediately after taking the test whether you have passed the test or not.

They will send you a letter to confirm if your citizenship application has been approved and to advise that your local council will contact you regarding the ceremony date.

The timing between the test and confirming of your application being approved can be anywhere from days to months so the timing is unpredictable.
Answered my mind accurately. All that I had in my mind, crisp and understandable answer. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just to update if there are people in similar situation reading this topic, I have applied for my citizenship by conferral on 20th of November 2017, 2 days after the citizenship changes were rejected by Senate. I still have not been contacted by immigration department. I gave immigration a call today and I was told to be patient and the process might take up to 15 months or maybe even more. I have tried to give them my details just to make sure nothing is wrong with the process but he insisted on saying the same stuff.

So as ozbound12 said, they must be busy with the applications lodged in between April and November.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi I got my PR in 2013 and eligible for citizenship now..Do I have to apply through Conferral or decent ??
I am little bit confused please give me detail about it.I think I have to apply conferral. please let me know

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Australian Citizenship Application 2018

Hey guys,

Starting a new thread to discuss the timelines for those who started receiving responses to their citizenship applications from 2018 (even if you applied in 2016/17).

Please share the application date, applicant state, council, test invitation date, confirmation date and ceremony dates in here.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,850 Posts
sorry..I misread

·
Registered
48 Posts
You applied in Feb 2017 but got invitation for test only in May 2018?

May I know which state and suburb you have applied from?

Canadian citizenship
Feb 2017 application
May 2018 test
Still waiting

·
Registered
48 Posts
Am assuming that applicants from Melbourne are getting test invites faster than Sydney applicants. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi All, somewhat similar question but i want to understand if there is any impact to my citizenship application if i go outside before the test/approval of application. I understand department wont approve application if one is offshore but would they contact me at that stage and ask me to come back for test and subsequently approve application. Please guide. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
AU Citizenship - Wait Period

Hi there, I have applied for same on 24 Oct 2017 and I am also sailing in same boat - no updates from the department. But one of my friend submitted on 04/Sep/2017 and good part for his is he has got invite, done with exam and also his citizenship has been approved. So hopefully we might be the next one.

Keep posted guys.

Cheers

Hi All,

I have applied for Australian citizenship by conferral on 23/Oct/2017 and waiting for the department to respond. Have anybody facing the same situation as mine. How long will it take the dept to call us for the citizenship test followed by ceremony.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
RS

1 - 20 of 2307 Posts