Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Me and my wife are Australian citizens. We have one kid who is born in Australia and Australian citizenship. We are thinking to get our second baby born overseas (India). I would like to have some idea about how citizenship work for the new born baby overseas. Looking at Govt website, I guess, baby born overseas of an Australian citizen can be Australian citizen by applying citizenship by descent.

My question is while we bring our child from India to Australia after born, on what passport my child will travel? Will it be Australian passport? And will my child be eligible to get Australian passport while overseas? Please let me know your feedback people.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You would apply for citizenship by descent and once that is granted, you'd apply for an Australian passport for the baby.

Reactions: dap29

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Maggie-May24. Does that mean, I can apply for the citizenship by descent while my baby is overseas and once granted, I can apply for the Australian passport and on that passport my baby can travel to Australia?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Maggie-May24. Does that mean, I can apply for the citizenship by descent while my baby is overseas and once granted, I can apply for the Australian passport and on that passport my baby can travel to Australia?

Thanks
Yes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts