Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife, 2 kids and I are planning on moving back to Australia from the US. Over the last 10 years I have come to own a number of tools of the trade that I would like to get back to Australia, as well as a motorcycle or two (cost dependent).

I have a couple of questions;

(a) We plan on starting an extended tour of the USA sometime in November 2015. Dont really have a fixed duration, but will probably be around 12 months. Can I ship our "stuff" before we go on the trip? Or should I store it here in the USA until we leave?

(b) My tools of the trade are landscape and irrigation oriented. Nothing really large. (Walk behind trencher, aerator etc) Plus at least one motorcycle. We dont really have that much personal possessions we need to send home. All the international freight companies want to sell me a 20' container service. Is there a better option? Go in on a part container for the personal stuff and an independent equipment carrier(if such a thing exists) for the tools?

We are just starting to try and figure this out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephan

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I can help you re the motorcycle since I am doing the process to export mine to Australia

You can only import ONE vehicle per person per five years. You must have owned it and used it overseas for 12 months at least. You will need to lodge an import permit with the department of infrastructure PRIOR to shipping it. You will need to provide a plethora of documents and pay $50 AUD then wait for the result 20 working days later. I lodged mine recently and am still awaiting the outcome.

For more info read here

https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pis.aspx

Motorcycles are customs and LCT exempt but are subject to GST (10% of purchase price + freight + Insurance)

If you are not shipping furniture or white goods, 20 foot container would be too much. 20 foot is 30 CBM (cubic metres), a motorcycle - if crated - would be like 5-8 CBM MAX. If palleted would be even less. ]

How big would your tools be if packed? You might find that air cargo with your airline (air cargo, not excess luggage, call your airline and ask for their cargo division) might be cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TheExpatriate...I qualify for the the motorcycle requirements..although I wasn't aware of the 1 bike in 5 years rule. The other is my wifes and probably not worth sending back anyway.

Most of the landscape stuff could probably be packed. I hadn't even considered air...thx I'll look into it.

The trencher however is;

Width: 36"
Length: 79"
Height: 40"
Weight: 1460 lbs

might be to heavy for air freight?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
When I moved, I didn't have nearly enough stuff to fill a container, but was given a couple of options as I recall (it amazingly becomes distant memory once you get unpacked and settled):
- fixed size "cube" which basically allowed my stuff to be packed and unpacked once. It was the more expensive option
- combine my stuff into a general container with other people's stuff. My stuff would be handled more frequently as it was packed and unpacked from the container so increased chance of breakage or loss but overall less expensive shipping cost.

Perhaps check with shipping companies if there aren't more options available.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Thanks TheExpatriate...I qualify for the the motorcycle requirements..although I wasn't aware of the 1 bike in 5 years rule. The other is my wifes and probably not worth sending back anyway.

Most of the landscape stuff could probably be packed. I hadn't even considered air...thx I'll look into it.

The trencher however is;

Width: 36"
Length: 79"
Height: 40"
Weight: 1460 lbs

might be to heavy for air freight?
if the other bike is registered in your wife's name she can apply for the second import permit. The restriction is per person not per family.

Trencher looks too expensive for air cargo. The best quote I got for air cargo (Dubai to Sydney) Was $3.5 per KG ($1.56 per LBS)

You can ask for Groupage sea freight (LCL, or Less than Container Load).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts