Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought if we get PR for Aus/Canada (for that matter), we can stay for the whole of our life time. Now I'm seeing PR Visa is valid for 5 yrs only. Now I'm confused... what happens after 5 yrs? Sorry if my question is silly :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I thought if we get PR for Aus/Canada (for that matter), we can stay for the whole of our life time. Now I'm seeing PR Visa is valid for 5 yrs only. Now I'm confused... what happens after 5 yrs? Sorry if my question is silly :D
You can stay indefinite amount of time. That's what your grant Visa says! ;)

·
Registered
965 Posts
you live forever if you dont leave the country. but if you leave after 5 years,( not after 5 years), you need a RRV ( Resident Return Visa) to enter. its not complicated as this one though

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Arunvas,

if you take a look at the visa grant notice, you'll find that there is a "Travel Expiry Date", which is five years after the visa grant date for Australian PR visas. As PR you can indeed stay in the country forever - but the right to re-enter the country after an overseas trip is restricted to 5 years. So if you want to leave Australia and come back after the travel expiry date, you either need to apply for citizenship or a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!

So basically for the first 5 yrs (PR's initial validity) we can enter and exit Aus multiple times, however after 5 yrs, if we want to enter again we may need to apply for RRV and regain PR validity (again for just 5 yrs)... am I rite?

So inorder to avoid RRV, we may need to get Aus Citizenship or do not leave Aus after 5 yrs... rite?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Arunvas,

correct - you've got it ;). I think it's sensible - otherwise people could collect PR status from multiple countries without ever having to live there. Whether you get citizenship or RRV (and for what period) depends on how much time of the 5 years you spend in Australia.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Arunvas,

correct - you've got it ;). I think it's sensible - otherwise people could collect PR status from multiple countries without ever having to live there. Whether you get citizenship or RRV (and for what period) depends on how much time of the 5 years you spend in Australia.

Cheers,
Monika
Exactly! Now, can we travel outside Aus after just applying for Citizenship (and in-process, not attained citizenship still) and come back after visa expiry without RRV?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Exactly! Now, can we travel outside Aus after just applying for Citizenship (and in-process, not attained citizenship still) and come back after visa expiry without RRV?
You can't. What's wrong with applying for a RRV? You will get it anyway, it's just a formality.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't. What's wrong with applying for a RRV? You will get it anyway, it's just a formality.
Thanks Tweek! Will applying for RRV delay the Citizenship application process?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

Like if PR is issued now and first entry is made within the date of initial entry i.e within one year say oct 2014, then second entry made , say sep 2019, will the PR continue? Or for a third entry say sep 2020, the RRV would have been applied? sorry if silly questn!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi,

Like if PR is issued now and first entry is made within the date of initial entry i.e within one year say oct 2014, then second entry made , say sep 2019, will the PR continue? Or for a third entry say sep 2020, the RRV would have been applied? sorry if silly questn!!
after Sep 2020 you can indefinitely stay in Australia with out a Visa,but once you come out and want to re-enter then you need a Visa.

RRV Requires you to spend some time in Australia please see Resident Return Visas (Subclasses 155 and 157)

Reactions: jre05
1 - 13 of 13 Posts