Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am emigrating to Aus. with my family. I have a collection of gold coins, and I am bringing them with me. I have already confirmed with Customs what I need to do when I come in (declaration) My question is, does the declaration then get reported back to the US? Do I need to tell the US that I am taking the coins with me? They have been in my family for several generations now.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
No you do not, all you have to do is declare the things you are carrying with you at the customs. In india it is normal to have gold in form of coins or jewelry adn when i say have it, i mean really a lot of stuff. and all those i know took all their jewelry along, including cold coins adn had no problem whatsoever. alternatively you can take a locker in some bank in the US, keep the stuff there, as and when u go back, take it back with you if u do not feel comfortable carrying it right now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am emigrating to Aus. with my family. I have a collection of gold coins, and I am bringing them with me. I have already confirmed with Customs what I need to do when I come in (declaration) My question is, does the declaration then get reported back to the US? Do I need to tell the US that I am taking the coins with me? They have been in my family for several generations now.
no problem whatsoever. Just declare it, it's only to track money launderers. So if you are legitimate collector, there will not be a problem as long as you can explain how did you get your coins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts