Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When August hits and Parisians flee the city like birds taking to flight after a long rain, is the apartment rental market affected as well? I can understand if agencies shut down for the month because they're offices but will it not even be possible to see apartments with private ads listed by landlords? What is the market like in August? Is it essentially impossible to rent an apartment that month?
Merci!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Is apartment hunting in August going to be any harder than during other months?

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Having never had to look for an apartment myself here, I can't really help you with any direct experience. But my impression is that things really do shut way down in August in Paris. Still, there should be some rental agencies available, assuming you're looking for September 1st availability.

You may want to have some contingency plans to work around the slow rental market. Folks with children tend to move in the summer (i.e. July or August) because school starts at the beginning of September.

Are you planning on doing your house hunting in August for later in the year or will you be arriving to stay in August?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Bev, hope you're well.
The plan is to arrive to a short term rental we've booked for the first week of July and spend all of July and August finding a permanent place for September 1st, yes. To take our time, set things up, not be rushed etc.

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Hey Bev, hope you're well.
The plan is to arrive to a short term rental we've booked for the first week of July and spend all of July and August finding a permanent place for September 1st, yes. To take our time, set things up, not be rushed etc.
Sounds like a good plan. Chances are you should be able to find something during July. And then you can relax a bit and enjoy the month of August in Paris.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, Bev.
The wait for the visa decision is taking longer than we expected, peak season issues I assume, so we've moved things up anyway. I guess my biggest concern was the idea of trying to find our permanent apartment in August for September and getting nowhere because of the city being empty. How does it get in September, do you know? Is it crazy hectic with people, students, etc looking for apartments after the rentree?

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
September in Paris is a crazy month - or maybe it just seems so after the calm of August. But if you're looking for a September start date to your rental, there should be some agents available, probably toward the end of August.

August 15th is a public holiday here, and lots of folks plan their vacation now from July 15th to August 15th, to take advantage of the holiday on each end (July 14th and August 15th). So the last two weeks of August you have a fighting chance to find a few folks back to work (and cramming the stores to buy the kids' school supplies.)
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.