Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many audiophiles are based here in Dubai?

Are you a portable audiophile or home focused?

What equipment do you use?

Would there be an interest to meet up and discuss / share some topics around high grade audio equipment? Maybe give some DAC's a go from other users?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just wondering how many audiophiles are based here in Dubai?
Probably a whole shedload considering the amount of high end hifi shops ... or people with more money than sense that just want something expensive and loud to sit as a focal piece in their cinema room.

Would there be an interest to meet up and discuss / share some topics around high grade audio equipment? Maybe give some DAC's a go from other users?
Personally, no. Audio is a very subjective thing and 'high grade' means different things to different people with different agendas. Buy with your own ears rather than listening to other people's preferences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm actually a sound designer here in Dubai, and before I came here used to set up hi-fi systems for the crazy rich on the islands in NJ. Honestly it seems like you're right about the general vibe.

I've honestly found a few really cheap brands that have been good back in the states, and a lot of it depends on how you're placing the speakers and the shape/furniture/wall type of the room. I also run the same systems I would run on a mastering session in the studio on just about anything I stream to analyze the incoming data (usually peaking out between 12 and 16k) to generate the missing harmonics caused by crappy compression. I'd be more than happy to meet up and discuss the nuances of sound!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'm actually a sound designer here in Dubai, and before I came here used to set up hi-fi systems for the crazy rich on the islands in NJ. Honestly it seems like you're right about the general vibe.

I've honestly found a few really cheap brands that have been good back in the states, and a lot of it depends on how you're placing the speakers and the shape/furniture/wall type of the room. I also run the same systems I would run on a mastering session in the studio on just about anything I stream to analyze the incoming data (usually peaking out between 12 and 16k) to generate the missing harmonics caused by crappy compression. I'd be more than happy to meet up and discuss the nuances of sound!
My husband does that in the UK.

Jo xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts