Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a U.S. citizen looking at becoming an Au Pair in Spain, but I'm running into some trouble trying to jump through the hoops required to get a visa.

With the Au Pair visa, it says I need to have proof of enrollment in a Spanish University and that I'm working towards a degree. But I just finished a degree program here in the States. Would I still need to enroll in a class? If so, would they let me take an online class? (I don't want to have to spend time away from my family every day) My family also told me that they have a community center in their town that offers free Spanish classes. Would the consulate accept an enrollment there? Or is it possible to show a certificate of enrollment--and then once I get my visa approved and arrive in Spain--cancel my enrollment in the course? I have no idea if Spanish universities do refunds on enrollment.

I also looked at the non-profit visa as another option. But the financial requirements are huge! They want proof that I will have 2130 Euros per month that I am staying. (and for a nine month stay, that's roughly $25,000!!) I'm sure the consulate puts that Euro requirement to make sure someone staying in Spain has enough for rent, utilities, and food--but my host family will be providing for my lodging, meals, and transportation so I definitely will not be needing to spend that much money while I'm over there. My pocket money from my family obviously would not add up to that much, and my parents don't have that much that they can transfer to me for my application and then I can transfer it back to them once I get over to Spain.

I've also seen that U.S. citizens can stay in Spain for 3 months without a visa. If I want to stay longer, is it possible to stay in Spain for 3 months with my host family, take some vacation days and visit another country, and then come back again for 3 more months?

If there's anyone from the U.S. that has stayed as a long term au pair in Spain that has any tips, please let me know!! I need all the help I can get, and I really want to make this work!

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Hello! I'm a U.S. citizen looking at becoming an Au Pair in Spain, but I'm running into some trouble trying to jump through the hoops required to get a visa.

With the Au Pair visa, it says I need to have proof of enrollment in a Spanish University and that I'm working towards a degree. But I just finished a degree program here in the States. Would I still need to enroll in a class? If so, would they let me take an online class? (I don't want to have to spend time away from my family every day) My family also told me that they have a community center in their town that offers free Spanish classes. Would the consulate accept an enrollment there? Or is it possible to show a certificate of enrollment--and then once I get my visa approved and arrive in Spain--cancel my enrollment in the course? I have no idea if Spanish universities do refunds on enrollment.

I also looked at the non-profit visa as another option. But the financial requirements are huge! They want proof that I will have 2130 Euros per month that I am staying. (and for a nine month stay, that's roughly $25,000!!) I'm sure the consulate puts that Euro requirement to make sure someone staying in Spain has enough for rent, utilities, and food--but my host family will be providing for my lodging, meals, and transportation so I definitely will not be needing to spend that much money while I'm over there. My pocket money from my family obviously would not add up to that much, and my parents don't have that much that they can transfer to me for my application and then I can transfer it back to them once I get over to Spain.

I've also seen that U.S. citizens can stay in Spain for 3 months without a visa. If I want to stay longer, is it possible to stay in Spain for 3 months with my host family, take some vacation days and visit another country, and then come back again for 3 more months?

If there's anyone from the U.S. that has stayed as a long term au pair in Spain that has any tips, please let me know!! I need all the help I can get, and I really want to make this work!
As far as i know you have to "go through the hoops". I know someone who employed an au pair from the US last year and she could only stay 3 months

·
Administrator
36,533 Posts
As far as i know you have to "go through the hoops". I know someone who employed an au pair from the US last year and she could only stay 3 months
Yes, the only way is to go through those hoops.

vrichard - without a proper resident visa of some kind (which includes the AuPair one) , you can only stay in the entire Schengen zone 90 days in every 180, so just leaving the country for a few days won't work to extend your stay.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts

I assume you live in a US State where a student visa is required to au pair in Spain for longer than 3 months. If you live in a US state where an au pair visa is issued for Spain, then you need (for Chicago in this case):

4. Copy of the official letter of admission as a student of Spanish from a School in Spain. The letter of admission has to be issued in Spain and addressed to this Consulate in Spanish. It has to verify the enrolment to a School accredited by the ”Instituto Cervantes”, the course should lead to obtain a certificate or degree. This letter must mention: name and duration of the program. The duration of the program and the au pair activity must be around the same time. The student must be registered full time and successfully complete the program.
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/CHICAGO/es/ServiciosConsulares/Serviciosconsularesenchicago/Documents/documentosvisados/aupair.pdf

The study requirement is not optional in either case, but is different if you live in a US state where au pair visas apply. You are expected to continue the program, not cancel or drop out.

Edit:
Having completed a degree program in the US does not exempt you from the study requirement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi there,

With the Au Pair visa, it says I need to have proof of enrollment in a Spanish University and that I'm working towards a degree.
There is no such thing as an "Au Pair visa". What you need is a student visa, which grants you permission to work for up to 20hrs a week. However, to qualify for this you need to be a genuine student. That is, you must enrol on a course of study (minimum 20hrs a week), pay the course fees upfront, and actually attend the course. The course does not have to be a university degree, although it could be if you wanted. An intensive Spanish course of 20hrs a week would also fit the bill.

But I just finished a degree program here in the States. Would I still need to enroll in a class? If so, would they let me take an online classWould I still need to enroll in a class? If so, would they let me take an online class?
Yes, you need to enrol on a course, and no, it can't be an online course. An online course can be done from anywhere in the world so you can't use it as justification for coming to Spain to study.

Or is it possible to show a certificate of enrollment--and then once I get my visa approved and arrive in Spain--cancel my enrollment in the course? I have no idea if Spanish universities do refunds on enrollment.
Cancelling your course will invalidate your visa. After all, it's a student visa, the main condition of which is that you are actually a student.

I also looked at the non-profit visa as another option. But the financial requirements are huge!
The non-lucrative visa means that you can't work here. Hence the financial requirements. Since you are coming here to work, you wouldn't qualify for this visa.

This is the visa waiver scheme, which is for tourism purposes only. This means that you can't work or, for that matter, volunteer in exchange for food and lodging.

If I want to stay longer, is it possible to stay in Spain for 3 months with my host family, take some vacation days and visit another country, and then come back again for 3 more months?
That loophole was closed years ago. You now get 90 days in the Schengen zone (Google it if you're not familiar), then you need to leave for a further 90 days. Note that your passport will be stamped on entry to the Schengen zone making it easy for immigration to see when you've overstayed. Overstaying can lead to a ban on re-entry - not just to Spain but to the whole of the Schengen zone - for up to 10 years. A deportation stamp may also see you being refused entry to other countries.

As a non-EU citizen, pretty much your only legal route into Spain is via a student visa.

Hope that clarifies things.

BMC

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi there,

There is no such thing as an "Au Pair visa". What you need is a student visa, which grants you permission to work for up to 20hrs a week. However, to qualify for this you need to be a genuine student. That is, you must enrol on a course of study (minimum 20hrs a week), pay the course fees upfront, and actually attend the course. The course does not have to be a university degree, although it could be if you wanted. An intensive Spanish course of 20hrs a week would also fit the bill.

Yes, you need to enrol on a course, and no, it can't be an online course. An online course can be done from anywhere in the world so you can't use it as justification for coming to Spain to study.

Cancelling your course will invalidate your visa. After all, it's a student visa, the main condition of which is that you are actually a student.

The non-lucrative visa means that you can't work here. Hence the financial requirements. Since you are coming here to work, you wouldn't qualify for this visa.

This is the visa waiver scheme, which is for tourism purposes only. This means that you can't work or, for that matter, volunteer in exchange for food and lodging.

That loophole was closed years ago. You now get 90 days in the Schengen zone (Google it if you're not familiar), then you need to leave for a further 90 days. Note that your passport will be stamped on entry to the Schengen zone making it easy for immigration to see when you've overstayed. Overstaying can lead to a ban on re-entry - not just to Spain but to the whole of the Schengen zone - for up to 10 years. A deportation stamp may also see you being refused entry to other countries.

As a non-EU citizen, pretty much your only legal route into Spain is via a student visa.

Hope that clarifies things.

BMC
Just a minor correction. As I posted earlier, Spain in fact offers au pair visas in some, but certainly not all, US states.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Just a minor correction. As I posted earlier, Spain in fact offers au pair visas in some, but certainly not all, US states.
Yes, this is right
I have a client who has employed several au pairs in the last 18 months and he has told me the only way for Americans to be au pairs in Spain for more than 3 months is to be enrolled on a language course. This is also stated on this au pair site
https://www.aupair.com/en/p-spain-visa.php
These are the requirements

There is also a list of states where you can get the au pair visa from.

Sorry, I forgot this when I posted earlier on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts