Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

It's been an year that I last logged into this forum. I have a little 'off-the-road' case and I would really appreciate if some experienced members can provide me with their valuable suggestions or their wise opinions.

HERE IT GOES:

-- I did my BS in Electronics Engineering [passed out MAR/2010] from Karachi.
-- Then, I worked as a 'Technical Support Engineer' from Jan '11 to Aug'11 (roughly 6 months).
-- Sept '11 I then, moved to Qatar to find work. It took me an year to land a job of 'Technical/Computer Programmer' (read: Network Administrator) in public sector, starting from July '12 which I am doing TILL DATE. (almost 3 years).
-- I once tried Immigration back in early 2014 when I planned to carry Skills assessment from Engineers Australia but since my JOB DESCRIPTION was not related to my Undergrad qualification, some consultants (back in Karachi) advised me to go for Student's Visa instead.
-- I applied to an Australian university , got selected, paid the tuition fee, applied for the Visa (07 April 2015), which was refused last month (01 May 2015) on the basis of GTE clause.
-- Now I am thinking of again trying Immigration through Skillselect. I am NOT SURE whether to go for EngineersAustralia assessment or ACS.

What do you suggest should be my PLAN OF ACTION.

P.S. I already have 65 points without work experience so that is not a concern.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
was refused last month (01 May 2015) on the basis of GTE clause. Please elaborate

Hello friends,

It's been an year that I last logged into this forum. I have a little 'off-the-road' case and I would really appreciate if some experienced members can provide me with their valuable suggestions or their wise opinions.

HERE IT GOES:

-- I did my BS in Electronics Engineering [passed out MAR/2010] from Karachi.
-- Then, I worked as a 'Technical Support Engineer' from Jan '11 to Aug'11 (roughly 6 months).
-- Sept '11 I then, moved to Qatar to find work. It took me an year to land a job of 'Technical/Computer Programmer' (read: Network Administrator) in public sector, starting from July '12 which I am doing TILL DATE. (almost 3 years).
-- I once tried Immigration back in early 2014 when I planned to carry Skills assessment from Engineers Australia but since my JOB DESCRIPTION was not related to my Undergrad qualification, some consultants (back in Karachi) advised me to go for Student's Visa instead.
-- I applied to an Australian university , got selected, paid the tuition fee, applied for the Visa (07 April 2015), which was refused last month (01 May 2015) on the basis of GTE clause.
-- Now I am thinking of again trying Immigration through Skillselect. I am NOT SURE whether to go for EngineersAustralia assessment or ACS.

What do you suggest should be my PLAN OF ACTION.

P.S. I already have 65 points without work experience so that is not a concern.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was refused last month (01 May 2015) on the basis of GTE clause. Please elaborate
I received a letter from DIBP dated 1 May 2015 that I have been refused visa, because my Case Officer is not convinced with my intentions to temporarily stay in the country for study purposes.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe Computer Network and Systems Engineer (263111) looks the most appropriate. What about 'roles and responsibilities' letter? I work for the government and its not their policy to issue any such letters. What is the equivalent of stamp paper/ affidavit in the Gulf ? Any idea.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Then I would suggest go for ACS, and try to get a positive assessment.
I believe Computer Network and Systems Engineer (263111) looks the most appropriate. What about 'roles and responsibilities' letter? I work for the government and its not their policy to issue any such letters. What is the equivalent of stamp paper/ affidavit in the Gulf ? Any idea.
bad idea, go for EA, won't deduct any experience

What's your IELTS detailed score?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bad idea, go for EA, won't deduct any experience
The problem is not EA or ACS; the problem is making my case. As my designation on paper is 'Technical programmer' which is a very vague term but my real experience is Network administration. Now in case, I apply for EA, i'll have to write three career episodes (which I cannot because I don't have professional Electronics Engineer experience) and if I apply for ACS, they'll deduct my experience which is only THREE YEARS.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
The problem is not EA or ACS; the problem is making my case. As my designation on paper is 'Technical programmer' which is a very vague term but my real experience is Network administration. Now in case, I apply for EA, i'll have to write three career episodes (which I cannot because I don't have professional Electronics Engineer experience) and if I apply for ACS, they'll deduct my experience which is only THREE YEARS.
then go with ACS, and deduction will leave you with zero points for experience, which - according to your own interpretation of points - you don't need

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheExpatriate Since you're a GCC resident , I'd like to ask you one thing:

In case we couldn't get the R&R letter on company letter head, what other options we have? I mean how can we obtain a stamp paper (affidavit) or any sort of legal paper to use for assessment purposes?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
TheExpatriate Since you're a GCC resident , I'd like to ask you one thing:

In case we couldn't get the R&R letter on company letter head, what other options we have? I mean how can we obtain a stamp paper (affidavit) or any sort of legal paper to use for assessment purposes?
a colleague can write a statutory declaration for you and sign it in front of an Australian consular officer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a colleague can write a statutory declaration for you and sign it in front of an Australian consular officer
I am living in Doha. There's no Australian embassy or consulate here. :confused2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An extremely important query:

Since my undergrad degree is 'BS Electronics Engineering' would it be OK if I select Skills assessment in ACS online application (with ICT work experience of 3 years) or do I have to go through RPL ?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
An extremely important query:

Since my undergrad degree is 'BS Electronics Engineering' would it be OK if I select Skills assessment in ACS online application (with ICT work experience of 3 years) or do I have to go through RPL ?
You are not eligible yet for positive assessment. Minimum 4 years required for Electronics grads but even with 4 years experience you wont be able to claim experience points as ACS will deduct 4 years and you will be left with 0 years but you will get positive assessment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are not eligible yet for positive assessment. Minimum 4 years required for Electronics grads but even with 4 years experience you wont be able to claim experience points as ACS will deduct 4 years and you will be left with 0 years but you will get positive assessment.
Does that mean I cannot even apply for assessment under 263111 ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts