Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I register a child at a local Spanish school if we have just moved over – according to everything I have read so far we would need NIE number and to be on the pardon register (which I thought you can’t do until you have been resident over 3 months).

Can anyone offer advice on this scenario?

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
OK, where to start.

You can get the NIE before even setting foot in Spain. Within 90 days you are expected to sign on the foreigners list and get a "certificate of registration".

As soon as you arrive, you can sign on the padron (note spelling) at your local town hall.

To get children into school will mean seeing the education department in your local town hall as most schools will now be closed.

Your children will need to get a medical at some point so you should organise health care soon as well.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
How do I register a child at a local Spanish school if we have just moved over – according to everything I have read so far we would need NIE number and to be on the pardon register (which I thought you can’t do until you have been resident over 3 months).

Can anyone offer advice on this scenario?
you can & should register on the padrón at the earliest opportunity

'legally' all you need to register your child in school is to be empadronado (on the padrón) in the town, & of course you'll have to show passports & birth certs

children do also have to have a medical

some towns will (illegally) want you to be registered as resident - but since you have to do that anyway, you might just as well. Again, this can & should be done at the earliest opportunity

1 - 4 of 4 Posts