Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since hubby is illegal, when we get to airport ....and they scan his passport will they question him? I am asking because we are wondering if he needs to go to the airport earlier than normal?

Any info is appreciated! THANKS !!! :D
xx pepperann xxx

·
Registered
267 Posts
sorry is he illigal in US and you are comming to UK ?

He could be arrested at the airport but if he has a ticket to leave they are probably just going to send him on the flight after questioning and entering his details on the imagration database.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry is he illigal in US and you are comming to UK ?

He could be arrested at the airport but if he has a ticket to leave they are probably just going to send him on the flight after questioning and entering his details on the imagration database.
yes he is going home to the uk. im sure they will guestion him...but am wondering if its going to be a detaining thing. or just a quick...why what where when and then on his way.(maybe show up 4 hours before flight??)surely they wouldnt make him miss his flight?

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
yes he is going home to the uk. im sure they will guestion him...but am wondering if its going to be a detaining thing. or just a quick...why what where when and then on his way.(maybe show up 4 hours before flight??)surely they wouldnt make him miss his flight?
In your case, I wouldn't cut it too tight. But you definitely need some ability to "tolerate ambiguity" - they are well within their rights to just arrest him and haul him off. Chances are, however, that they will be just as happy to send him on his way, after updating their system to NOT allow him back in.

He should probably practice what he's going to say should they ask him "why" he didn't leave when he was supposed to, how he has been living for the last year, etc. etc. He needs to be able to answer the questions without giving away any information not asked for, and without implicating you or anyone else in a "conspiracy" to violate immigration law or making your marriage look like a sham.

Chances are greatly in your favor that they'll just give him a very hard time, but then send him on his way. But you need to be prepared, just in case you get a hard core or overly ambitious officer. (Besides, the best way to assure that he has no problem whatsoever is to be prepared for the worst possible outcome.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your case, I wouldn't cut it too tight. But you definitely need some ability to "tolerate ambiguity" - they are well within their rights to just arrest him and haul him off. Chances are, however, that they will be just as happy to send him on his way, after updating their system to NOT allow him back in.

He should probably practice what he's going to say should they ask him "why" he didn't leave when he was supposed to, how he has been living for the last year, etc. etc. He needs to be able to answer the questions without giving away any information not asked for, and without implicating you or anyone else in a "conspiracy" to violate immigration law or making your marriage look like a sham.

Chances are greatly in your favor that they'll just give him a very hard time, but then send him on his way. But you need to be prepared, just in case you get a hard core or overly ambitious officer. (Besides, the best way to assure that he has no problem whatsoever is to be prepared for the worst possible outcome.)
Cheers,
Bev
as always bev! thank you!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
he may just sail through as the airline won't care as long as he has the right docs for final destination.

not sure of the exit procedures in USA. In south africa if caught on leaving they normaly impose instant fixed penalty fine.

If i were you i would book airline tickets seperatly and check in seperatly. I am sure imigration officials share info. If you are seen to be comming to UK with an overstayer you may attract unwanted intrest from UK border agency on arrival in UK.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he may just sail through as the airline won't care as long as he has the right docs for final destination.

not sure of the exit procedures in USA. In south africa if caught on leaving they normaly impose instant fixed penalty fine.

If i were you i would book airline tickets seperatly and check in seperatly. I am sure imigration officials share info. If you are seen to be comming to UK with an overstayer you may attract unwanted intrest from UK border agency on arrival in UK.
oh im not going with him. not untill i file my visa.
Thanks for the post! i appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The airline staff won't care. Only some airports have exit controls, and even they're not going to be bothered about his overstay since the consequence (10 year ban) is automatic.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Please tell us he has a one way ticket.

I know, r/t are cheaper but an immigration wonk would get more edgy if your illegal husband has a return ticket to the USA.

A one way he can manage better to say he's learned the rules and has to go. Or some such thing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know, r/t are cheaper but an immigration wonk would get more edgy if your illegal husband has a return ticket to the USA.

A one way he can manage better to say he's learned the rules and has to go. Or some such thing.
true true!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Since hubby is illegal, when we get to airport ....and they scan his passport will they question him? I am asking because we are wondering if he needs to go to the airport earlier than normal?

Any info is appreciated! THANKS !!! :D
xx pepperann xxx
Why don't you actually ask the authorities?

They could actually give you some guidance about what to expect, or even better, they could guide you about how he can make a clean exit from the country.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why don't you actually ask the authorities?

They could actually give you some guidance about what to expect, or even better, they could guide you about how he can make a clean exit from the country.
-actually-
I thought the point of the forum was to seek ppls advice that have some to give- which is what I am doing....
So I went here to see if any one knew...then i was going to actually speak with the authorities....thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.