Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a local here and my girlfriend is a Chinese international student that is looking for a way to stay here. We've considered many options that allows her to stay including Partner Visa and continuing to study for student visa. Anyway, all the options had their ups and downs except Working Sponsor Visa (457) - where she would be sponsored by the company so that they sponsor her to stay. Because she is an international student from China, she applied in various Chinese companies (though one or two Caucasian work here too (though I don't know why this matters...)) that could help her with the visa problem while at the same time, give her a stable job to rely on for her living costs.

She is a major in Media - especially in editing and applying effects to video (video production I guess) but her sub-major is Webpage design and using programs such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc. Even though, her work in web site design isn't professional standard (I've seen the work!), she can still do the job and she is fantastic at editing videos as she worked in recognized TV companies in China.

Now, she applied in a fund investment(?) company that was looking for a full time designer. My girlfriend went for the first interview and didn't mention about her visa problem. Still, she seem to have impressed the CEO & interviewer (two guys were interviewing) as they asked her later that week to come back for the 2nd interview. Even though, the job required designers / marketing, they were more impressed by her work in video editing and production (she told me...). Anyway the 2nd interview comes, and they said she will get the job but she will be in training for 2 months, earning only $400 per week during that time and will be paid 30k-50k a year when she completes her training and joins the company (more close to 30k because they are helping her with visa?, I heard companies pay low if they sort out the visa problem). She will be full-time working from 9.30-5pm. She spoke about her visa problem in this 2nd interview, how she is currently a student visa and it expires soon, asked if it is possible for the company to provide 457 visa and the company was confident of providing the visa if she successfully completes the training. This gets me... I'm thinking ... is it really easy for her to be sponsored? She just graduated from Masters Degree, she has no working experience in Australia (though she does have few in China), her course is media / graphic design-related work. I mean, What?!

I really believe this is excellent news for me and my girlfriend but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if the company, especially as it is a Chinese company, is doing this so they can 'use' her, as in she completes the work that is given to her for 2 months and after their work is done, the company don't offer her the 2 years contract and sponsorship. (no offense or anything but Asian companies tend to do this a lot I heard), Maybe I'm thinking too much...

I've searched about the company itself and it is registered under yellowpage, whitepage etc., it was established a bit more than 1 year ago, and it is located in Sydney City with about 20 people working there. But one thing that caught my eye was that advertisement before (back in January where the company was quite new) stated that they want employees with no visa problem... But now, they can help my girl? Hmm..

Today is her first day working there and she is worried about the visa problem. I know she is hard worker and a smart girl so she will try her best at the given task but I'm still wondering about this... Right now, she is telling me she isn't doing much and that the company doesn't seem to require many tasks in regards to design. Additionally, she asked one or two people in this company and apparently, workers here signed a 'part-time' contract but works full-time (?). This isn't 100% sure yet as she hasn't gotten around talking to many people.

Now my question is... what do you guys think about this situation? I know there is no right or wrong answer to this situation as we have to wait and see but is the company genuine? Is there a case where companies offer a person that just graduated from uni, a job that grants 457 visa?

Additionally, this is important - is it ok if my girlfriend asks the company to put in the training contract that states if the person has completed the training successfully, she will be granted a visa?

Sorry for the long post but I would really like to know other people's opinion on this matter.

EDIT: The company does some fishy job my girlfriend says - such as, they are buying cheap wines in Australia and false promoting them in China, telling it it's full of history (...) etc. and of course, encouraging people in China to invest money in their company and immigrate to Australia etc. I'm not sure what to make of this heh....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hey kors88,

if your girlfriend completed her master degree in Australia, I'd recommend to take a look at the 485 Temporary Graduate visa instead, get some work experience and apply for PR via a partner or skilled visa or a 457 with a reputable company later.

The company sounds dodgy to me and even if they sponsor her towards a 457 visa - which I doubt, because it involves quite a bit of paperwork and obligations for the company - she will be tied to the company. If they fire her or if she quits she has to apply for a new visa within 90 days or leave the country. There is a pathway to get PR after staying with an employer for two years on a 457 visa but the employer must be willing to sponsor her (and sadly, that is often not the case).

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the quick reply. But sadly, she cannot register for 485 visa as her Master course is only one year course.

Hmm, it is rare for companies to sponsor someone that came straight out of uni? Right?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi kors88,

yeah, it is rare because even Australian citizens who just graduated from uni often have a hard time finding their first job after graduation. It is not the same for all domains, of course, and companies always try to snag up the truly excellent students. I work at uni and see that even some of the engineering graduates struggle.

She described that there is not actually that much work to do for a designer at the company plus some of the business dealings (paying part-time, working full-time etc.) set off all my alarm bells. As you suspected, they probably only want her as cheap labour for two months.

I'd recommend to consider other visa options once again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts