Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been looking for a life science Post Doctoral/ Assistant researcher position ever since I received my PR of Australia. It has been almost 4 months but haven't received a single positive response yet. I have applied jobs searching from Seek, Linked In, UniJobs Au, Science Career etc. also some personal mails to university professors. I am moving there next month. Kind of worried about the whole situation. I have heard that they follow a different style of resume then here in S.Korea. Would anyone of my field please kindly forward me his/her resume that I can follow. It would be a huge favor. FIY I have completed my PhD in animal science Biotechnology from S. Korea. TIA

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi all,
I have been looking for a life science Post Doctoral/ Assistant researcher position ever since I received my PR of Australia. It has been almost 4 months but haven't received a single positive response yet. I have applied jobs searching from Seek, Linked In, UniJobs Au, Science Career etc. also some personal mails to university professors. I am moving there next month. Kind of worried about the whole situation. I have heard that they follow a different style of resume then here in S.Korea. Would anyone of my field please kindly forward me his/her resume that I can follow. It would be a huge favor. FIY I have completed my PhD in animal science Biotechnology from S. Korea. TIA
You are not getting responses because it's not the peak time for applying for post doc positions. Post docs are government funded and the funds are released in November/ December ...jobs are then advertised in January /February. Most post docs are self funded in that you yourself apply for a grant/post doc....again the application period is from August and they are released at the same time as the grants. You will need at least 10 publications in your field to have a chance at a self funded post doc and 5 or so to get one in your field in someone's grant.

What you need to do is locate the researchers in Australia who is doing research in what you did your PhD in and get a relationship with them so that they will allow you to use their position as a reference for your grant application for a postdoc.

The lower level jobs are only again advertised after the main grant rounds (although some funds are only for part of a year so their jobs will be advertised throughout the year) but are not advertised on seek but on the individual university job pages.

The other thing to remember is that all jobs are for a maximum of three years and then you have to apply all over again,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts