Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was a silent reader of this forum for some time while we were trying to weigh in pros and cons of moving to Dubai with a junior in High School.
My son Is totally resisting the move, he is Junior in Westview High, San Diego and has already completed 5AP's in 10th grade and currently taking AP Physics C, AP chem, MULtivariable calculus andAPUSH, with A or B+. He thinks he will be Robotics club president too..nxt year.

Now My Problem My Husband in Moving 2013 Nov end to Dubai and I am planning to join him after 2014July/Aug. I cannot and Do not want to stay away from my Husband for more then that plus I think most of my son's trancripts will be done In US in 11thgrade, so he should be OK. I though ASD is pretty Decent school as it follows the same system

My Husband does not want this career opportunity to Go Away, He desperately want to Move out of US as he feels stagnant and wasted here.

Please help...Advise???

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
You really have to weigh up what is right for all of you. Many families are apart - that's just the way it goes these days. I live in the UAE, my husband works in Jordan - we see each other only a couple of times a month and that's just the way it has to be right now.

Schools here are NOT up to the standard of other countries - no matter how much they profess to be. Plus waiting lists can be a year long, school fees are horrific - you need to think long and hard about what sacrifices you're willing to make.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It's never easy pulling a child out of his final year of secondary school. There's always the risk that he'll become frustrated and deliberately not do well in school and thus hurt his university admissions chances. Then again after a while he may come to like the new school and relish being in a different country. Who knows?

ASD has a good reputation in Dubai and it's the most highly regarded of the American curriculum schools. But there's no guarantee there will be a space for your son. They may simply not have the room. Another option may be Dubai American Academy.

As Chocoholic implied, plenty of people don't think that any school in Dubai is comparable to a first rate school elsewhere. The city is too new, the schools are too young and too prone to high turnover in students and faculty. If your child is at an excellent school with great academics and strong support from teachers and counselors I'd be hesitant to bring him out to Dubai for his final year, given the importance of the courses and counseling for university admissions.

The way I look at it you have three options:

A. Stay in the US till your son finishes high school. Yes, it's another year apart from your husband but it's only one more year and the year will go by quickly enough. Your husband will have 25-30 holiday days and can come to the US for several breaks while your family can join him in Dubai for other breaks, so you wouldn't be apart that long at any given time. Plenty of families do this.

B. Pull your son out of his US school with all the associated risks, including having him be miserable and a right pain for the year.

C. Find close relatives or good family friends for your son to live with during his last year of school and you move to Dubai and join your husband. Other families have done this option as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts