Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an American living in France with profession libérale status. My stated specialty is "Consultant en Communications," which I chose because it offered the broadest range of work I can do... web design, translating, copywriting, editing, etc. Recently I have been working as a professional English trainer on a freelance basis. When I started with this company I told them that I do not have a "formateur" status and therefore would need to bill them for consulting services. They seemed fine with that at the time, but now are anticipating problems with their accountant, and want me to bill them as a trainer. Does anyone know if this could get me into trouble with the préfecture when I renew my CDS? Getting my profession libérale visa was an arduous process and I don't want to do anything that could endanger it.... Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What have you chosen as your profession liberale? What are you thinking of doing in terms of consulting?

I am a Consultant en Communications, one of the activities that falls under profession libérale non-réglémentée. My question is whether I am allowed to work as a Formateur, which is a different category, but still a profession libérale. My company would prefer that I bill them as a trainer but I am not sure whether my immigration status permits that. I have to show the préfecture my invoices when I go for renewal and don't want to get in trouble for working outside my stated activity (even though it's still freelance, not salaried).

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
To offer "formation" as part of your consulting business, you need to register as a Prestataire de formation professionnelle and every year you'll have to submit a set of financial statements related to your formation activities. (What I always did was to estimate the percentage of our billings that were formation and then factor our regular financials by that percentage.)

As long as your training is in roughly the same area as your main business, there should be no problem. Déclaration d'activité des formateurs ou organismes de formation - Service-public.fr

The main concern (as far as I can figure) is so that your customers can count your training sessions toward their formation continue requirement.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To offer "formation" as part of your consulting business, you need to register as a Prestataire de formation professionnelle and every year you'll have to submit a set of financial statements related to your formation activities. (What I always did was to estimate the percentage of our billings that were formation and then factor our regular financials by that percentage.)

As long as your training is in roughly the same area as your main business, there should be no problem. Déclaration d'activité des formateurs ou organismes de formation - Service-public.fr

The main concern (as far as I can figure) is so that your customers can count your training sessions toward their formation continue requirement.
Cheers,
Bev
Wow, thank you for the super-quick reply, Bev, that is very helpful. What I wonder about is this part of the info you linked to:

"Personnes exclues de l'obligation : Ne sont pas concernés par l'obligation de déclaration :
un sous-traitant qui ne conclut pas directement de convention ou de contrat de formation professionnelle et qui intervient pour le compte d'un centre de formation déclaré en apportant seulement un concours technique ou pédagogique à la réalisation d'actions de formation, sauf s'il a la responsabilité opérationnelle de l'action qu'il dispense,"

I understand this to mean that a sub-contractor, who does not enter into direct contracts with clients, but who advises on the development of course materials, is exempt from making the declaration... would you agree?

This is what I suggested to my company but they are concerned their comptable will take issue with my offering services that they already have salaried employees doing...

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Honestly, the requirements for you to get registered as a "formateur" are pretty nominal (literally just that financial filing - which you can estimate pretty quickly). If what they're really after is the formateur number on your billings, it's a cheap and easy way to keep the customer happy.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts