Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My British husband and I have found some land we would like to purchase in Cretas, Aragon, Spain. We are looking to mainly self build, but also looking for any recommendations for English/Spanish architects to handle the project before we purchase.
This is for a rural tourism business. Anyone have anyone they can recommend that knows the ins-&-outs for Aragon?:D
Thanks!
Shannon

·
Registered
746 Posts
You're about to enter a minefield.

The first thing I would do if I were in your shoes is find a good trustworthy English/Spanish speaking Solicitor/Lawyer/Abogado and do due diligence on the planning permits/utility connections/conditions of use on that piece of land. Then I would double check, triple check and quadruple check that all the permissions can be put in place to build a property for the type of use you want and ensure all utilities can be connected as well as access roads etc.

I really can't highlight just how important that stage is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Zenkarma has given you excellent advice. Make absolutely sure you can get the permissions you need. Do not trust just one person - and absolutely do not trust the real estate agent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good advice

I think that is why I am looking for a good lawyer, and architect before I EVEN think about paying up any deposits. Seems like between the two agents, it's a lot of yes and then no. We have two sites we are considering. One is with a agent/project manager who HAS made it happen for others, the other is just a agent, but I like that she is a brit. UGH... decisions on what to trust!
The biggest issues need first to be resolved with an architect and I have found a recommendation for a lawyer in Tarragona thanks to this site, but I was wondering if there is anyone in particular someone would recommend for architecture planning and permissions.:eek:

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think that is why I am looking for a good lawyer, and architect before I EVEN think about paying up any deposits. Seems like between the two agents, it's a lot of yes and then no.
I'd forget the architect for the moment and focus on getting a good solicitor/abogado who knows what they're doing. If you can't build on the land, an architect won't be much use to you.

Your last sentence would start warning bells ringing in my ears right away. Lot of yes and no? Do not trust a single world estate agents tell you and be particularly wary of British ones—they're some of the worst out there.

At the end of the day estate agents are sales people —they sell real estate, that's how they make their money. In addition they should be representing the interests of their clients, in other words the real estate they're trying to sell. You're a potential buyer—they're not representing your interests.

If all that isn't bad enough, there's a lot of corruption in Spain to contend with—lots of back handers going on.

Tread very carefully indeed and pay and sign nothing until you're 200% sure that what you're buying has (or can be obtained) all the necessary permits you need to build and construct what you're planning.

It might also be worth looking for an independent Spanish/English translator to sit in on any meeting you might have through the process to give you an impartial translation of what is being said rather than relying 100% on your solicitor/estate agent to translate.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
You are not yet resident in Spain which is a shame. One good idea would be to try and get a small bank mortgage on the land. Banks are very careful and that would have been another check on the legality of the land being sold...

·
Registered
746 Posts
One good idea would be to try and get a small bank mortgage on the land. Banks are very careful and that would have been another check on the legality of the land being sold...
You can't get a bank mortgage on land as far as I'm aware—only on built properties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts