Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all. My wife, Goldendoodle dog and I will be flying from Atlanta to Paris CDG airport, arriving at 8:20 am local time.
For those who have arrived at CGD in the morning, how much time was spent passing through immigration and customs? Anyone delayed because of random luggage search or held up at immigration?
I made a reservation for a rental pickup at 10 am. Have I allotted sufficient time after arrival to make this reservation?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
how many people are on time at a major airport
were you expecting to be the first ? I suppose miracles do happen
for sure the car will be available when you get there

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Unlike a theatre, not being there at the anointed time will not make the car disappear. It won't matter if you appear at 11, or 12.

It doesn't really matter if any of us have had random luggage searches or delays at immigration - because they're random. But most people just breeze on through. I would say that once off the plane, I'm generally out (well, on the railway platform) in 20-30 minutes.

·
Administrator
49,836 Posts
We always allow for about an hour after the plane arrives at the gate. The worst waits are to get through immigration control (though that's normally for flights that get in at 6 am or so) and at baggage claim, simply because early morning is when all the flights from the US seem to arrive.

Baggage checks at CDG are pretty rare (in my experience). Just walk confidently to the "nothing to declare" lane and chances are you'll waltz right out the door. And, unless your flight is held up before take-off, it's more often the case that arrival in Paris is earlier than the posted arrival time.

For a rental car pick-up, don't sweat the exact time. The rental desks all have access to the flight schedules and they'll know if a flight is late coming in. (Normally the reservation asks for your flight number as well as the time you plan to pick up the car.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Early am is the time that most long-haul flights arrive (many significantly earlier than your arrival time). As mentioned above, the only real delay seems to be getting through immigration, although they definitely do their best to control the flow. Have never been checked by customs - have just been able to pick up my luggage and walk straight through, but that depends. As long as you have used a reputable car hire company, your car will be waiting for you.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Someone visited me with a flight coming in at that similar time and it was an hour long line just getting through, for international people. Not checking bags...not interrogation over the passport/visa/inventory or anything...(that part has been easy for everyone I've talked to, and me! they just barely look up and stamp the passport)...but the line itself took a while at that time in the morning.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My last two flights back to Paris have been rather long than the other times I've flown into CDG. Back in December there was an over hour wait line at immigration and then it took 40 mins for my luggage to come out, but it was the holidays.

My recent flight back in the first week of May was a little different: got through immigration quick (I was near the exit of the flight door though) and there weren't many people in line for immigration. Waited 20 minutes for the luggage to start rolling out and mine was some of the first pieces. It really just depends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts