Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm moving to Le Havre in August for the long term and I'm looking to find work in a language school/university, etc. I have a TESOL qualification but little experience teaching. I've tried contacting the main schools and have sent out CV (Wall Street Instititute, etc) but none have got back - would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks in advance
Rory

·
Administrator
50,413 Posts
Normally, the language schools aren't all that keen to talk to potential employees until they are on site and ready to start right away. Be ready to hit the ground running when you get to LeHavre - they may have a few openings to fill before the big Rentrée in September.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi

I'm moving to Le Havre in August for the long term and I'm looking to find work in a language school/university, etc. I have a TESOL qualification but little experience teaching. I've tried contacting the main schools and have sent out CV (Wall Street Instititute, etc) but none have got back - would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks in advance
Rory
Hello again.

In your last post, I gave you information about how to apply to be a contractuel. What you have to keep in mind though, is that: a) already established titulaires (those who have passed the concours and therefore are considered French civil servants) always have first pick of the jobs, b) new titulaires (those who will have just passed the concours) will get the second pick of jobs (unless they have substantial points in the system from working beforehand, then they may get a better pick), c) contractuel(le)s who have already worked in the system get third crack, d) if and when there are still remaining jobs available, then the Académie will contact you. So you have to wait for 3 other groups of people to go before you.

In your previous post, I gave you a link for the application. You may also find on the site that there is a contact number for someone in charge of finding "remplacements," or substitute teachers. For example, in my Académie, there is someone who is in charge of that for the major foreign languages (English, Spanish, German and Latin). You can always send your lettre de motivation along with your CV to him/her in the hopes that she will contact you for a substitute teacher.

The thing is though, for contractuels, even those of us who have been in the system for a while don't really know if we have a job or not until the absolute last minute possible. There are people who will be taking the concours this summer, and as a result, the system waits for those results so they can put them in any positions that the already established titulaires don't have. Last year, I didn't get a call for a year-long job until about two weeks into the school year, despite the fact that I'm already in the system as an established contractuelle.

The other thing to do is start contacting private schools in your area, along with groups like la CCI (Chambre de Commerce) and CMA (Chambre de Métiers et d'Artisanat).

In essence, you're going to have to play the waiting game. I know it is frustrating, trust me. Every summer I go through the same thing. The best thing you can do is what I suggested already to you, which is to get on pôle emploi and check daily if there are available English jobs, and write them immediately. I just recently got an offer at a private school for the upcoming school year thanks to that. But Bev is right, in that if they do want to hire you, they're going to want to meet you right away.

In all honesty, trying to find a job in July/August is about the worst time possible, because that's when the country is half-asleep.

Patience and perseverance are two qualities in which you will need in bucketfuls in order to make it here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks once again for your detailed reply. The purpose of my putting in another thread is that I was hoping to make contact with other language teachers in Le Havre, which obviously would be very useful to me in helping me to understand how it all works specifically in Le Havre. I've been in touch with some of the organisations you've mentioned but the main frustration for me has been the lack of communication. You send a CV, they show interest, they don't get back to you, etc. Anyway I guess the best thing to do will be to wait until I get to Le Havre and do things in person...always a lot easier.
Best wishes
Rory

·
Registered
306 Posts
That is definitely your best bet - the only school I have found who is prepared to recruit from the UK is Wall Street (not the best place) and even they will always recruit someone on the ground over someone not in situ. Other than that - one offs which tend to be dodgy. I have applied to loads of things, and by far the best thing you can do is apply once you are there, and the pole emploi is full of positions come September - but beware - they may only be very part time and they may be ESP (English for Special Purposes) eg. English for engineers or more obscure. What would really help your situation now, is to be teaching at a summer school in the UK to get yourself some experience as this will make your CV more appealing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oka thanks a lot. Unfortunately due to my circumstances presently cannot get summer work but hopefully I've done enough in the past for potential employers to be interested. It looks to me that getting into some sort of niche is the best thing but until I get enough experience I'm expecting a lot of bits of work here and there.
Best wishes
Rory

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi

Thanks in advance
Rory
I would set up email alerts with some of the big agencies (Pôle-emploi, Trovit, Indeed, etc) and you will see if anything is being offered in the lead-up to La rentrée. Sometimes they wait until the last week in August to advertise. On the Pôle-emploi application you can see how many other people have already applied.

Just make sure you spell the company name correctly when applying! :eek:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Another point is that you are considered to be "in training" for two years after your certificate, so really you should be supervised in some way for that time. One month or even one year is not enough to induct you into it - if you are a serious teacher.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi

Thanks in advance
Rory
HI Rory,

It seems you have enough info already so I thought I would just add that I live in Le Havre and can only suggest you try the international school St Joseph. I had an English friend who managed to get work as an aid. After 5 years here I have found that French people, especially in Le Havre, do not always respond to emails and if they do it will not be fast. If you need any help when you get here please do get in touch.

Regards Barry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts