Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had high blood pressure for a few years and last year I finally decided I really shoudl do something about it so I mentioned it to my GP (social security). After doing regular tests he agreed that it needed treating and prescribed some drugs which I have been taking every day since. They cost me about 11€ each month which wasn't bad (I thought) and they have been doing the job as far as my blood pressure is concerned but I have been feeling very tired since starting them. Also, every morning the tablets caused me to pee like a racehorse for several hours which isn't very convenient.

I asked my GP if I could try a different one and he said "these are the ones you need - tiredness is not part of the drugs and going to the loo a lot is better than having a heart attack" - fair enough I thought and carried on.

Anyway, I have also private insurance and have never taken advantage of my free yearly "well man" check, so I decided to book in to the local private hospital for a whole host of free tests and consultations to get a full MOT.. sorry ITV - well why not, its free!

One of the consultations was with a cardioogist and he checked my heart, did an ECG and spoke generally about my health. I mentioned my high blood pressure and told him the drugs I am on. He frowned a little and asked how I felt, so I mentioned that I feel tired sometimes and pee a lot and he immediately blamed the drugs.

Aparently the ones I am on are a strong dioretic (spello sorry), and lower your blood pressure by draining every ounce of spare water from yoru body = you get dehydrated = you feel tired! He said he sees a lot of "state healthcare" patients with this type of drug but he isn't a fan and recommended another one - advice I was happy to receive. he gave me a private prescription which I took along to the faramcia expecting a big bill.

5€ PRIVATE was the bill which surprised me - less than half the price that I was paying with my green chitty for the other ones. The farmacist said that I should take the private consultant letter to my GP and get them on the state system and i will then pay less then 50c each month for these pills.

He went on to explain that my previous drugs are only subsidised by about a euro but these new ones are subsidesed by over 90% and that government doctors sometimes consider this when they choose the medication to prescribe. So, it's not a straight 40% off at all, it varies from drug to drug and it would appear that "these are the yes ones for you" could mean" these cost us less - so take it or leave it"

A lot of woffle there but when you can buy aparently BETTER drugs private for LESS than the ones that give you side effects through the healthcare system it does beg some questions I think!

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Very useful information Steve.

Might also be useful for people who are now being prescribed generics on the SS because of the cuts, and find they don't suit as well as the branded ones.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very useful information Steve.

Might also be useful for people who are now being prescribed generics on the SS because of the cuts, and find they don't suit as well as the branded ones.
All interesting stuff! I think anyone with drugs shoudl talk to the pharmacist and discuss options and alternatives. They are usually very happy to advise!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts