Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heavy debate in the Guardian about sharing food off the same plate in restaurants, which now seems to be a Thing in London at least. But people are getting worked up about how to split seven asparagus spears between two...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hare-not-me-jay-rayner?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

One of the things I love about eating out in Spain is that you can order menu items on different sized plates, so if you want to share with others you can get a ración but if you want it all to yourself you get a tapa.

What about you? Do you balk at the idea of someone else taking the last croqueta?

·
Registered
3 Posts
second post!

I'm reading the answers and I think that the problem is with quantities. If you order some tapas in Spain you order them generously (because, among other things, they are cheap). In a gastropub you are going to pay more than 10 pounds for a very sad plate. And then you will fight over an asparagus.

In any way, it is one of those social things that I do not understand why are felt as "me against the world". You are not comfortable sharing? If you share food you are supposed to do that with friends or family so if you tell them that you don't feel right doing so there should not be any problem. I think it takes a bit of time to get used to it.

But if there is any drama about the last piece, it means that you did not order enough food.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Heavy debate in the Guardian about sharing food off the same plate in restaurants, which now seems to be a Thing in London at least. But people are getting worked up about how to split seven asparagus spears between two...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...hare-not-me-jay-rayner?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

One of the things I love about eating out in Spain is that you can order menu items on different sized plates, so if you want to share with others you can get a ración but if you want it all to yourself you get a tapa.

What about you? Do you balk at the idea of someone else taking the last croqueta?
I've noticed many times that on a table of shared platters one item is left on every plate at the end. No-one wants to be seen to take the last one.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Very British of you Baldi.

I used to be like that but now I go around and have every last one. I call it tidying up.
I see the difference between the m-i-l and myself. She was brought up to scoff everything on the basis that if she doesn't eat it/them all up now, it/they might not be there later, whereas I was brought up with "if you eat it/them all now, there will be none for later." This applied especially to things such as sweets, biscuits, etc. (when we got any!)

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
I've noticed many times that on a table of shared platters one item is left on every plate at the end. No-one wants to be seen to take the last one.
In Spain that last bit has a name; it's called La Vergǘenza, literally The Shame...

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Very British of you Baldi.

I used to be like that but now I go around and have every last one. I call it tidying up.
OH is also a tidier upper. probably due to the fact that he is one of 5 children - if you don't eat it someone else will:)

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

Of course I am a plate sharer; I live in Spain! Incredible that there should be an article about sharing plates of food!:rolleyes:
The last time we went to a restaurant (2 days ago in Oviedo yummmm) the order started with "A salad to start with to share....."
Save

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Of course I am a plate sharer; I live in Spain! Incredible that there should be an article about sharing plates of food!:rolleyes:
The last time we went to a restaurant (2 days ago in Oviedo yummmm) the order started with "A salad to start with to share....."
Save
Sharing platters are now ubiquitous in the UK too - usually as a starter.

Next time you are in the UK...;)

https://marstons.azureedge.net/media/499366/grillsmainlnhb.pdf?v=

Or maybe...

https://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/locations/super-mare/menus/main

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
My OH and I often order a starter to share between us, but I'm not a fan of sharing plates if I'm in a larger group of people.

I'd rather order a portion, or a tapa, of something I want and eat it all, than be faffing about making sure I don't take a larger helping than I should and not leave enough for the rest of the group, whilst the food is getting cold on the plate. Then there's the "does anyone mind if I have the last whatever it is, no go on you have it, oh are you sure, well go on then" - it's nearly as bad as when people make a big to do about dividing up the bill between a group of people according to who had what rather than just dividing it into equal shares.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Sharing platters are now ubiquitous in the UK too - usually as a starter.

Next time you are in the UK...;)

https://marstons.azureedge.net/media/499366/grillsmainlnhb.pdf?v=

Or maybe...

https://www.hungryhorse.co.uk/locations/super-mare/menus/main
Reading that Hungry Horse menu, it's no wonder there's an obesity crisis, is it?:D

Some of those main courses (and they're not billed as sharing platters), OMG. Two 12 oz rump steaks plus all the trimmings, "huge" pies, multiple gammon steaks on the same plate, do people actually order this stuff and eat all of it?

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Reading that Hungry Horse menu, it's no wonder there's an obesity crisis, is it?:D

Some of those main courses (and they're not billed as sharing platters), OMG. Two 12 oz rump steaks plus all the trimmings, "huge" pies, multiple gammon steaks on the same plate, do people actually order this stuff and eat all of it?
Yes. :nod::hungry:

Not me of course...:bolt::angel:

Both those pubs are within a few minutes walk of where we are. We don't go to the Hungry Horse as it's full of kids all the time (which works in Spain but NOT in the UK). The other one is fine.

A note on prices...

On Wednesdays the Hungry Horse has an offer of curry with rice and a pint for £5 and a bottle of reasonable Spanish wine for 5£. You can upgrade the curry to a banquet (includes fries, pakoras, nan etc.) for £3. So all we can eat eat and drink for around £20.

It also during the day has 'Golden Years' :rolleyes: menus (which apply to us JUST):( at two quite reasonable courses for £4.50.

Both pubs have two main courses for £10 all day.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts

Both those pubs are within a few minutes walk of where we are. We don't go to the Hungry Horse as it's full of kids all the time (which works in Spain but NOT in the UK). The other one is fine.

A note on prices...

On Wednesdays the Hungry Horse has an offer of curry with rice and a pint for £5 and a bottle of reasonable Spanish wine for 5£. You can upgrade the curry to a banquet (includes fries, pakoras, nan etc.) for £3. So all we can eat eat and drink for around £20.

It also during the day has 'Golden Years' :rolleyes: menus (which apply to us JUST):( at two quite reasonable courses for £4.50.

I did think the prices on the ordinary menu looked very cheap. But to be honest the description of the dishes left me feeling a bit queasy.

The other menu looks much nicer, not so much "stuff your face with as much fatty food as you possibly can for not much money".

·
Registered
6,019 Posts

A note on prices...

Sounds similar to Weatherspoons but it's around £5 for curries inc Nan, pickle tray etc plus a pint or glass of wine.

There is a place on the waterfront in Portsmouth that does sharing platters. The seafood one is really good. We like to share a fritura Malaguena when on the Costa as we aren't into big lunches. A local place does two sizes of every main on the menus which I think is a great idea.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Sharing plates of food.... I'm not a lover, simply based on the hand hygiene of a great many people. :tape:
Yes doesn't bear thinking about:) a lot of posh events have waiters coming round with Hor d'ouvres though. I hate buffets especially where they allow kids to poke around. Have noticed a lot of buffets have servers wearing gloves now.

·
Administrator
36,541 Posts
Some Spanish friends of ours always share their meals from the same plate - works well with a paella, but, of course, they are using cutlery!
We've picked up the habit of eating paella straight from the pan. The plate is somewhere to put bones or shells!

That's fine when it's me & my daughters - but I got very strange looks when I started to do the same when out with some non-Spanish friends.....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts