Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
A friend of mine is emigrating next year to perth and I'll have an uncle who will be doing the same in 2011 too. So my question to all you kind people in the know is : ARE ME & MY FAMILY ELIGABLE TO EMIGRATE TOO?
I think probably not, but i would just like to sound out my position and if it's worth chasing my dream to emigrate i will persue it. If you all think I/we can't then that'll have to be that.
I am 43 in September this year and my wife will be 38. We have 2 kids aged 2 & 5.
My wife is a fully qualified self-employed hairdresser & formally a hairdressing tutor at our local collage. I myself have been working for a writer & CEO of an independent television production company (we make tv programmes for all major channels in UK) for 11 years now, firstly as personal assistant to the CEO and have now been the company's office manager for past 3 years too. I was previously working for builders company as a carpenter (although unskilled) & have had office partitioning jobs, suspended ceiling fitter, and general labourer jobs to boot. My qualifications are poor and we don't have huge amounts of money/savings and have a few credit card debts like most at the present time. So what are my chances of ever leaving this drab, misguided country to fulfil our dream. Any responses will be very welcome especially any ideas as to how to get to the country of our dreams. Cheers all, best wishes. Gtyler.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi all.
A friend of mine is emigrating next year to perth and I'll have an uncle who will be doing the same in 2011 too. So my question to all you kind people in the know is : ARE ME & MY FAMILY ELIGABLE TO EMIGRATE TOO?
I think probably not, but i would just like to sound out my position and if it's worth chasing my dream to emigrate i will persue it. If you all think I/we can't then that'll have to be that.
I am 43 in September this year and my wife will be 38. We have 2 kids aged 2 & 5.
My wife is a fully qualified self-employed hairdresser & formally a hairdressing tutor at our local collage. I myself have been working for a writer & CEO of an independent television production company (we make tv programmes for all major channels in UK) for 11 years now, firstly as personal assistant to the CEO and have now been the company's office manager for past 3 years too. I was previously working for builders company as a carpenter (although unskilled) & have had office partitioning jobs, suspended ceiling fitter, and general labourer jobs to boot. My qualifications are poor and we don't have huge amounts of money/savings and have a few credit card debts like most at the present time. So what are my chances of ever leaving this drab, misguided country to fulfil our dream. Any responses will be very welcome especially any ideas as to how to get to the country of our dreams. Cheers all, best wishes. Gtyler.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Surprisingly you MAY qualify for a Permanent Residency visa if you apply with your wife as the primary applicant. Hair dressers are currently on the On-demand list (MODL), however be aware that there is a new system currently in the works, and things could change in the near future.

Australia uses a points system to calculate your eligibilty, with a pass mark required of 120 for a 175 Skilled Migration Visa.

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

From my initial calculations it is possible you could get 130 points if you wife has been in the profession for more than 3 years AND providing hairdressing remains on the MODL.

For your reference here are the SOL & MODL lists:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf
Is your occupation in demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration

To be able to apply for the visa your wife would also have to pass a skills assessment. This is done through TRA:

Offshore Assessment - Overview

If for some reason Hairdressing falls off the MODL then you may also be able to apply for State Sponsorship (176) which has a pass mark of 100. Then only requirement of this visa is that you live and work in the state that has sponsored you for 2 years. But you should try for the 175 visa first.

Here is more info on the 175 visa:

Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

Hope that helps for now.

Mat

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Also, if you decided that your wife would be the main applicant, as long as she has worked for the last 12 months prior to submitting your application (or 'x' amount of hours at least) you'll be fine.

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
you can also try getting sponsorship from an employer, since age isnt really in your side, that can be another option but getting a sponsorship isnt as easy as it sounds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are we able to emigrate

Wow, thank you for all your very useful information.
it seems my dream is still alive (if only just) although the process appears to be VERY daunting and a complete minefield. Where does one actually start the ball rolling? Could someone please let me know the first immediate steps I should take to apply etc and what sort of cost implications are there for applying in the early stages. If we start the process now, about how long on average would a family on 130 points have to wait approx to obtain a visa to emigrate....2, 3, 4 years? And does it help to have massive amounts of savings in your bank account when applying or what is this minimum amount the Australian authorites demand you have before even applying in the first place.
I know it's a lot of questions (i'm a newbie after all) but you are the people to ask and have given me some fantastic feedback already, so many, many thanks again for that.
Looking forward to more advice if poss. Cheers. Gtyler

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow, thank you for all your very useful information.
it seems my dream is still alive (if only just) although the process appears to be VERY daunting and a complete minefield. Where does one actually start the ball rolling? Could someone please let me know the first immediate steps I should take to apply etc and what sort of cost implications are there for applying in the early stages. If we start the process now, about how long on average would a family on 130 points have to wait approx to obtain a visa to emigrate....2, 3, 4 years? And does it help to have massive amounts of savings in your bank account when applying or what is this minimum amount the Australian authorites demand you have before even applying in the first place.
I know it's a lot of questions (i'm a newbie after all) but you are the people to ask and have given me some fantastic feedback already, so many, many thanks again for that.
Looking forward to more advice if poss. Cheers. Gtyler
Well, the first step is to look at the points calculator that I sent you and verify that you can indeed attain 120+ points. There are various other requirements listed there, that don't actually give points, but are required for migration. For example, criminal background. If your wife's been in the slammer for 2+ years then your probably not gonna make it.
Remember, the 60 points your wife gets for hairdressing will require that she passes her skills assessment. This would be the key to migration. Without this you won't be going on the 175 visa.

Offshore Assessment - Important Documents

All the requirements are listed on the TRA website. Fees are $300 for assessment and generally completed in 30 days. This would be the first big step towards your migration.

Once you pass the skills assessment, then you fill out your application for the 175 visa. The fee for this is just over $2000. With your skill in the MODL your application would be place in Priority 6 out of 7. (7 being the lowest priority). You can anticipate that your application would not be looked at until 2012. If you do a 176(state sponsored) that would put you in priority 5, but the time frame may not be that much quicker.

There are no financial requirements for the visa, however its obviously best to have as much money saved as you can, as it can be expensive, and you need to be able to support your family while you find yourself a job over there.

I haven't mentioned any other visas, because I feel that the 175 visa makes most sense, as it gives you permanent residency and you don't have to have a job lined up to move there. (176 is the same, except you are bound to a particular state for 2 years). There are other Employer Sponsored visas, which you may want to research on your own, just so you understand the landscape.

If you feel completely overwhelmed, then you could also consider speaking to a migration agent. They usually give a quick free consultation, and can help you with the paperwork, if you are eligible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mat.
Thank you ever so much for your wealth of knowledge and all the info you supplied. It's a great help. I'll digest my options and look into it all a bit more on this forum site. So thanks once again, much appreciated. I'm sure there'll be more questions soon.
Best wishes.
Gtyler

·
Banned
934 Posts
Hey mate,

significant changes were announced today with Australias Immigration policy. Hairdressers have been taken off the MODL list and with what you've described in your original post I'm sorry but it isn't going to happen now if you haven't put your application in as of today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for that Weebie, I,M TOTALLY GUTTED!!! I've been on the government website and tried to understand exactly what I can do (if anything) but it looks like I needed to get my application in a long time before now, to be safe and still have a chance of emigrating. Does this definately mean that i should just give up completely...or is there someway that you can think of where i can still apply through other means and at least get ourselves on some sort of waiting list at least. I'm devasted as are thousands of others no doubt. Is there anything i could do or where do i go from here.
Cheers for your input. Any ideas?
Gtyler.

·
Banned
934 Posts
Cheers for that Weebie, I,M TOTALLY GUTTED!!! I've been on the government website and tried to understand exactly what I can do (if anything) but it looks like I needed to get my application in a long time before now, to be safe and still have a chance of emigrating. Does this definately mean that i should just give up completely...or is there someway that you can think of where i can still apply through other means and at least get ourselves on some sort of waiting list at least. I'm devasted as are thousands of others no doubt. Is there anything i could do or where do i go from here.
Cheers for your input. Any ideas?
Gtyler.
I think a lot of people are guttered today. I think at the very least you should contact a migration agent to get some better information.

A way in but its now a little risky and quite a sacrafice would be to go in as a student and perhaps do a business degree. Although its been stated today that many student applications will be denied PR with your occupation and experience you are more likely to be eligiable for a PR. Also with your experience It may be possible to get credits for units. Its a risk but its a potential solution. If you have a good job in the uk I think its not worth the risk though.

Whatever your decision if you decide to try to get here I would be getting onto it asap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts