Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
Have I heard and seen a Bee Eater today? Is it about this time of year when they return?
Yes they are back:) I heard the first ones yesterday. Its always great to hear them as it is a sign that better weather is just around the corner:clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are back:) I heard the first ones yesterday. Its always great to hear them as it is a sign that better weather is just around the corner:clap2::clap2::clap2:
I just love the colours of them!

Bet they wondered what they'd come back to with all the rain today.:rain:
( Mind you, I was having a happy time at the General.:rolleyes:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can either of you good ladies explain what a bee eater sounds like.I may have heard one and not know.I presume they are brightly coloured from Geraldines comment.

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
Can either of you good ladies explain what a bee eater sounds like.I may have heard one and not know.I presume they are brightly coloured from Geraldines comment.
Yes they are very attractive bightly coloured birds. You can see them sitting on electric wires with their beaks full of insects in the summer.
But how do you describe aa sound?
After the first few times of seeing them and hearing their call you will learn to recognise it as it is very distinctive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you remember totake a picnic and knitting with you to pass the time at the general:D
yeah and even managed to wade through War and Peace cover to cover, then just in case I might have missed the plot, I read it again in the General pharmacy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are very attractive bightly coloured birds. You can see them sitting on electric wires with their beaks full of insects in the summer.
After the first few times of seeing them and hearing their call you will learn to recognise it as it is very distinctive.
I reckon it's more of a screech than a tweet!!:thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank god for that!! I was about to ask what a bee eater was when I noticed you had posted these pictures...

I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't a bird
:spider: :scared: Phew.......

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
If you get out into the countryside in the spring and summer you will see some beautiful birds.
On fairly rare occassions you may see a roller or a golden oriel. Both gorgeous looking birds.
The Hoopoes are comical and we have on several occassions been followed for a fair distance by these birds who swoop down in front of our car as t hough they are playing with us.
Picture 1 is a roller, pciture 2 is a hoopoe.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,555 Posts
To my untrained eye that looks like a good piccie Diane:) And of course you do great doggie photography:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thank you.

The problem is that it's a bit less than perfectly sharp on the bird. It's not too bad, I suppose. Not as good as some bird images I've seen. But then these photographers have lenses like long-range missile guns!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts