Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I had all my childhood shots and had chicken pox as a kid.

I don't have a clue where my shot records are. I don't know where they were done.

What Shots do I need? Do I need proof?

Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moving to France. My wife, who is French, says some immunization shots are required. I want to do them here if they are required.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a visa requirement.

I think it's just the DT that's required, but not for visa. My wife said all French citizens have to get the DT shot.

Its not a big deal. I'm sure I can get it with no problem in France, it is just that I can get them free with my insurance here. Just didn't know if DT was the only one. I also didn't know if at some point proof would be needed for other immunizations.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
When I went in to my OFII appointment, the doctor did ask me if I'd had all my shots. He didn't specifiy which ones. I asked and he rattled off some of the usuals. It's almost like he just assumed, because I was from the US, that I'd had everything I needed.

But he did ask. So maybe other OFII places would require more documentation? I don't know. Before I left I got some medical records...I believe they gave me some sheet with my vaccines on it, but was just some handwritten notes from when I'd moved as a kid from one doctor office to another. So far I have not needed it. But it may be worth just asking your last doctor if they have any record, just in case?

Someone who knows more than me speak up. Just conveying my little wedge of experience on it.

·
Administrator
50,846 Posts
I have yet to hear of any OFII office requiring actual documentation of your immunizations. They do run through the list and ask if you've had them. (Or the actual diseases for those of us of the generation before everything was immunized against.) But they do take your word for it as an adult.

It's the kids who need "proof" for school attendance.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
344 Posts
The only time I've ever been asked about my immunization was for work (I work with kids). I did need a booster shot, but I told my doctor I've had all my shots and he could see my BCG scar on my arm, so he was satisfied.

Now I've had a friend from Kenya who had to get all his shots when he came here. But then again, he came from a region where they did not do immunization shots. So that did make sense (and he hated it, said he was so sick afterwards). However, that is totally different than coming from the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts