Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By "worse", do you mean more frequent, or more uncomfortable? I would say no to the former and yes to the latter.
Yes, I mean more uncomfortable, as I don't think the heat changes the process itself. I've been having them for about three years now, and I'm finding them more uncomfortable here in Spain. I just bought some flamenco fans, which are a fabulous coping tool, but I'm thinking they're more uncomfortable than in Canada. And I'm wondering as it heats up in Spain if they're going to become even more uncomfortable. So you answer to this is yes, right?

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Yes, I mean more uncomfortable, as I don't think the heat changes the process itself. I've been having them for about three years now, and I'm finding them more uncomfortable here in Spain. I just bought some flamenco fans, which are a fabulous coping tool, but I'm thinking they're more uncomfortable than in Canada. And I'm wondering as it heats up in Spain if they're going to become even more uncomfortable. So you answer to this is yes, right?
Well, I was just coming to the end of them when we moved here, but I remember they were worse on summer nights (which can be pretty uncomfortable even when you aren't going through the menopause!)

We don't have aircon but we have a large fan in the bedroom, which helps, and frequent trips to the bathroom to run cold water over the inside of my wrists, which also helps.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was just coming to the end of them when we moved here, but I remember they were worse on summer nights (which can be pretty uncomfortable even when you aren't going through the menopause!)

We don't have aircon but we have a large fan in the bedroom, which helps, and frequent trips to the bathroom to run cold water over the inside of my wrists, which also helps.
Oh, I know what you mean about the horrible night sweats! I get them too. Even in winter they're horrifically uncomfortable. I can't imagine how bad they're going to be this summer.

I bought a big floor fan too, which I used in the fall, and that helped. I have air conditioning here, but I'll only use that for emergency hot weather, because of the cost of running it.

I'm toying with the idea of starting medication, but I know that can just prolong the menopause and all medications have weird side effects. So I'd prefer to go without.

I didn't know about the trick of cold water on the insides of my wrist. Thank you for that tip. :)

It's pretty obvious what's going on when I'm using my flamenco fan out in public, given my age. Perhaps I should start using my castanets as a distraction? :)

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Oh, I know what you mean about the horrible night sweats! I get them too. Even in winter they're horrifically uncomfortable. I can't imagine how bad they're going to be this summer.

I bought a big floor fan too, which I used in the fall, and that helped. I have air conditioning here, but I'll only use that for emergency hot weather, because of the cost of running it.

I'm toying with the idea of starting medication, but I know that can just prolong the menopause and all medications have weird side effects. So I'd prefer to go without.

I didn't know about the trick of cold water on the insides of my wrist. Thank you for that tip. :)

It's pretty obvious what's going on when I'm using my flamenco fan out in public, given my age. Perhaps I should start using my castanets as a distraction? :)
If you're three years in, they shouldn't last much longer. And don't worry about using the fan in public, once the heat kicks in you'll see Spanish ladies of all ages waving away furiously. Personally I think the energy burned in using them actually makes you hotter, but I don't have a very good technique. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're three years in, they shouldn't last much longer. And don't worry about using the fan in public, once the heat kicks in you'll see Spanish ladies of all ages waving away furiously. Personally I think the energy burned in using them actually makes you hotter, but I don't have a very good technique. :eyebrows:
Good to know that I'm almost done! Phew!

I just asked the pharmacist about medication, and it's about 17 euros a month for some pills that take care of the hot flashes. They aren't covered by prescription, so have to paid in full. Now that I know this will get worse as it heats up, I may resort to the pills during the hot months of July and August.

Good to know that I'll be seeing others flashing their fans soon, so I won't look so out of place. :eek:

I had a hoot learning how to use the fan by asking my Spanish and gypsy neighbours sitting outside to show me. In just two days, I've got it down pat. The best was having the guys show me, and the laughing, teasing and shouting by the women at them. I learned it's not cool for a guy to have mastered the technique. :D

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a big fan (excuse the pun ;)) of cultural differences, and here's a really good one... I was looking for a video for you to explain how to use the flamenco fan, and couldn't find any. But I found this video and it's a guy explaining three different ways to open a fan. This is an Asian fan, and it seems from this video to be pretty macho. I was taught what he calls the pop.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Fan

I'm sure you don't look your age so if Spaniards are looking at you they are more likely to think that poor foreigner is suffering., or perhaps what a pretty looking woman,

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
I just asked the pharmacist about medication, and it's about 17 euros a month for some pills that take care of the hot flashes. They aren't covered by prescription, so have to paid in full. Now that I know this will get worse as it heats up, I may resort to the pills during the hot months of July and August.
If they are sold without prescription they are probably vitamin supplements. There is no clinical evidence that they work. There's a good review of them on this website, about halfway down the page.
Non-Hormonal Ways to Cope with Hot Flashes and Menopause

Avoiding these triggers might be more effective (though hard to achieve if you enjoy your coffee and a glass of wine with a cigarette):

You probably can't avoid hot flashes during menopause, but there are things that may bring them on more often or cause them to be more severe. To prevent hot flashes, avoid these triggers:

Stress
Caffeine
Alcohol
Spicy foods
Tight clothing
Heat
Cigarette smoke

Menopause Hot Flashes Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sage tea is supposed to be good for hot flushes (as we call them)
How to Drink Sage Tea for Excessive Body Heat | eHow UK

My wife used soy isoflavones when she went through the menopause. She used a product (available on Amazon) called Estroven with excellent results. Another product is Menapace by Vitabiotics.

When I was a moderator on a Yahoo health group, a lot of women used to recommend black cohosh and red clover but, y'all gotta be careful with those as they may interfere with the meds you take - do your research :)

Herbs For Hot Flashes

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure you don't look your age so if Spaniards are looking at you they are more likely to think that poor foreigner is suffering., or perhaps what a pretty looking woman,
OMG, Justina, you're so sweet! Or maybe they're thinking how fabulously I handle the flamenco fan for a foreigner? :)

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they are sold without prescription they are probably vitamin supplements. There is no clinical evidence that they work. There's a good review of them on this website, about halfway down the page.
Non-Hormonal Ways to Cope with Hot Flashes and Menopause

Avoiding these triggers might be more effective (though hard to achieve if you enjoy your coffee and a glass of wine with a cigarette):
I don't know what the pills were that the pharmacist showed me, but being in Spain where a lot of medications are sold without prescription they could well be HRT, especially since he said there are no prescriptions in Spain for hot flashes.

That's an excellent link you gave. Thank you. The Cleveland Clinic is one of my hot spots to go to for medical info. I've recently cut back on my coffee to two cups a day because it's hard on my stomach. So hot flashes is another good reason to cut back. I've also recently started back at the gym, so that will help. I don't drink a lot of alcohol and or eat spicy foods, so no change is needed there. The smoking....well....errr...um...guilty!

Here are two other sites I just looked at, which are two other sites I regularly go to:

Hot flashes - Mayo Clinic

Menopause Hot Flashes Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

I see from your link and these that there are a lot of side effects with both HRT and alternative therapies.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sage tea is supposed to be good for hot flushes (as we call them)
How to Drink Sage Tea for Excessive Body Heat | eHow UK

My wife used soy isoflavones when she went through the menopause. She used a product (available on Amazon) called Estroven with excellent results. Another product is Menapace by Vitabiotics.

When I was a moderator on a Yahoo health group, a lot of women used to recommend black cohosh and red clover but, y'all gotta be careful with those as they may interfere with the meds you take - do your research :)

Herbs For Hot Flashes
Hi Virgil Darling! :) You're very right, that I have to bear in mind the medications I'm already on. I also have to bear in mind the other illnesses that I have. I've seen enough in the above three links to think that it's just a plain bad idea to take medications. The HRT's have a contraindication for breast cancer, which I have already, as you know. I've done enough research to decide not to use medications. I'll just have to slug it out and hope it's not too much worse in the summer heat. Now I've got to rethink my new sunbathing hobby. :(

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, you are half Spanish, so perhaps it is in the bloód.
:) I often wonder about that too. Everything that is Spain just feels right, like coming home, where I was always supposed to be. As with other things, using the flamenco fan just feels so natural, like I've done it before. It's an amazing feeling to finally feel at home. But I know people without Spanish bloodlines feel this too. Do you?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi Virgil Darling! :) You're very right, that I have to bear in mind the medications I'm already on. I also have to bear in mind the other illnesses that I have. I've seen enough in the above three links to think that it's just a plain bad idea to take medications. The HRT's have a contraindication for breast cancer, which I have already, as you know. I've done enough research to decide not to use medications. I'll just have to slug it out and hope it's not too much worse in the summer heat. Now I've got to rethink my new sunbathing hobby. :(
Good Afternoon All-Heart Darling! :)

I would give the sage tea a try, if I were thee. Yes indeedy, I have read about the contraindications regarding HRT. Soy isoflavones are of course phytoestrogens, so you would have to be careful about taking them if have breast cancer. Have a read of this article from the Linus Pauling Institute. I have many books written by Linus, you remember books, some were hard back, and some were paperbacks, they contained pages made of paper with words printed on them :D

Soy Isoflavones | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bloodlines

:) I often wonder about that too. Everything that is Spain just feels right, like coming home, where I was always supposed to be. As with other things, using the flamenco fan just feels so natural, like I've done it before. It's an amazing feeling to finally feel at home. But I know people without Spanish bloodlines feel this too. Do you?
Yes, I do feel very comfortable here and I did have a Spanish great grandfather on my mother's side.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
For the benefit of others who might read/be reading this thread - males can get hot flushes and night sweats and go as red as a tomato, as well. The cause, in their case, is an excess of an enzyme - aromatase - which converts testosterone to oestrogen which the male body needs in small amounts. An excess of oestrogen leads to BPH (enlarged prostate), gynecomastia (man boobs), elevated triglyceride levels (the liver metabolises oestrogen to triglycerides) which, because the body doesn't need that much are stored around the midriff (commonly know as a beer belly, even in non drinkers) and contributes to the blocking of arteries, even in those who have, otherwise, low cholesterol.

While, ideally, an aromatase inhibitor should be prescribed, it is expensive , most doctors are unaware of it or its effects and can't be bothered to find out. The non-medical solution is to take supplements of zinc and saw palmetto (serenoa repens).

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
I don't know what the pills were that the pharmacist showed me, but being in Spain where a lot of medications are sold without prescription they could well be HRT, especially since he said there are no prescriptions in Spain for hot flashes.
I'm pretty sure you can't get HRT without a a prescription. Anyway, it would be pretty foolhardy to take HRT without the advice of a doctor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts