Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well weve had over a year of having Boris Johnson as British Foreign Secretary and well over 6 months of
Donald Trump as President of the United States and I'm sure were all agreed that none of them
'cut it on the international stage'
Even the Sunday Times included an article questioning Boris Johnson ability as Foreign Secretary and wondered whether Britain's influence abroad, has been diminished since he's appointment as Foreign Secretary which
has been repeated in other papers including the Huffington Post.

Huffington Post - Boris ridiculed as a joke by Trump White House, EU diplomats and UK Officials

Now it seems that Theresa May is tipped to remove Boris Johnson from the cabinet, to be replaced by
( the Bertie Wooster of the Tory backbenches ) Jacob Rees-Mogg, who is considered to be the rising star
on the Tory backbenches and seen by many to have eclipsed Boris Johnson's tarnished reputation,
as a potential Prime Minister in waiting.

Daily Express - Jacob Rees-Mogg could be promoted as May considers removing Johnson from the Cabinet

·
Banned
30 Posts
Boris has about as much presence/respect/influence, call it what you will, on the International stage as a schoolboy on the "naughty step"......he is a totally clueless waffling imbecile who is solely in it for his own ends, he's a liar of Gold medal standards. He is seen a joke even by his own family.....says it all.
Jacob Rees-Mogg...........Welcome to the 1950's.....anyone who names their child "Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg" needs taking aside and given six of the best.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Boris has about as much presence/respect/influence, call it what you will, on the International stage as a schoolboy on the "naughty step"......he is a totally clueless waffling imbecile who is solely in it for his own ends, he's a liar of Gold medal standards. He is seen a joke even by his own family.....says it all.
Jacob Rees-Mogg...........Welcome to the 1950's.....anyone who names their child "Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher Rees-Mogg" needs taking aside and given six of the best.
Well said.:)

Johnson is a [email protected] and Rees Mogg a poseur.
Barrel scraping to consider either fit to lead a parish council let alone a nation.

I like the tale about Rees Mogg's sister, Annunciata Rees Mogg, who stood as a Tory candidate in a hopeless safe Labour seat in the last election. It's said that David Cameron, thinking such a posh name would alienate the proles, suggested she present herself as Nancy Mogg....

Anyone who cultivates a persona as does brother Jacob is in my view no better than an actor or drag artist. Less entertaining though.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Now, now let's be serious now - as I think were being a bit harsh with Jacob Rees-Mogg and besides, shouldn't we
at least check of the cut of his cloth and the car he drives first, before passing an opinion ?

Yes - there's no denying it - Bertie Wooster Lives but where's Jeeves ????

·
Banned
30 Posts
I really can't see many World Leaders taking this bunch seriously on overseas visits. ......."Alfred Wulfric Leysun Pius" Thats going to go down well in the School playground.....about as pretentious as names get.
hd-composite-jacob-rees-mogg-family.jpg

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
There is a former member of this site who actively pushed JR whatever iphis name as a potentially great prime minister.... so much for the antiestablishment vote:rolleyes:

Good riddance to The idiot Johnson, cowardly act pushing for Brexit then running scared.

I watched news programmers this morning where a pundit said when asked if May was going to stay go etc etc.

There is no one else... have you seen the quality of MPs in this country.... which I felt was a telling statement. Not one with any gravitas......

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
There is a former member of this site who actively pushed JR whatever iphis name as a potentially great prime minister.... so much for the antiestablishment vote:rolleyes:

Good riddance to The idiot Johnson, cowardly act pushing for Brexit then running scared.

I watched news programmers this morning where a pundit said when asked if May was going to stay go etc etc.

There is no one else... have you seen the quality of MPs in this country.... which I felt was a telling statement. Not one with any gravitas......
Appalling. When I started out in politics there were giants, rounded people, ......whatever you thought of their political views, MacMillan (SuperMac) , RAB Butler, Ian McCleod John McGregor, Heath, Wilson, Crosland, Crossman, Healey, the incomparable Barbara Castle, Owen....and so many 'humbler' constituency MPs on both sides. Gillian Shepherd always stood out as a decent, moderate Tory MP, ditto Chris Patten, Heseltine.

Even Thatcher for all her sins will be remembered for some positive achievements -yes, there were a few.

But this shower of total tossers aren't fit to wipe their boots.
I'm slowly warming to Corbyn though but chiefly because the rest are so dire.
I like Anna Soubry, Heidi Allen...independent sensible Tories, getting interested in Clive Lewis, Keir Starmer

But this lot.....

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Thatcher by her ideological obsession with Hayek and neo-liberalism managed to kill off the Conservative Party -the current Party isn't Conservative, it's radical right wing. True historic British Conservatism is pragmatic , suspicious of ideology, asserting the importance of organic change and tradition - and she killed off social democracy as the power of global markets and finance is stronger than the ability of any state to take radical redistributive measures. Past privatisations - gas, water, electricity, transport - can't be reversed, these vital services are lost forever to the public.

Like them or not, these are achievements in the sense that she had an agenda and put it into action.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Appalling. When I started out in politics there were giants, rounded people, ......whatever you thought of their political views, MacMillan (SuperMac) , RAB Butler, Ian McCleod John McGregor, Heath, Wilson, Crosland, Crossman, Healey, the incomparable Barbara Castle, Owen....and so many 'humbler' constituency MPs on both sides. Gillian Shepherd always stood out as a decent, moderate Tory MP, ditto Chris Patten, Heseltine.

Even Thatcher for all her sins will be remembered for some positive achievements -yes, there were a few.

But this shower of total tossers aren't fit to wipe their boots.
I'm slowly warming to Corbyn though but chiefly because the rest are so dire.
I like Anna Soubry, Heidi Allen...independent sensible Tories, getting interested in Clive Lewis, Keir Starmer

But this lot.....
I like Anna Soubry (has picked up a reputation for liking a drink:eek:) and also liked Patten and Heseltine.

The next true leader of the Tories will come from the back benches.

I also Keir Starmer and Hilary Benn.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
I like Anna Soubry (has picked up a reputation for liking a drink:eek:) and also liked Patten and Heseltine.

The next true leader of the Tories will come from the back benches.

I also Keir Starmer and Hilary Benn.
Yes I kind of like Anna..... whilst here in U.K. I'm watching the news, mainly Korea so taking the focus away from the Brexit mess, which is a shame, but then that's probably more worrying than anything else at the moment. Had to laugh though, they were chatting about the mental state of Kim jung thingy And Trump.... Trump was deemed more irrational than the Korean 🤣

Loving this ignore button BTW:D

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Yes I kind of like Anna..... whilst here in U.K. I'm watching the news, mainly Korea so taking the focus away from the Brexit mess, which is a shame, but then that's probably more worrying than anything else at the moment. Had to laugh though, they were chatting about the mental state of Kim jung thingy And Trump.... Trump was deemed more irrational than the Korean ��

Loving this ignore button BTW:D
Me too. Life's full of tripe as it is without adding more.

I think Trump and the Korean nutjob are on a par in the mental health states. Quite a few serious commentators are questioning Trump's mental competence. It was obvious in the campaign that he was uncontrolled, incoherent and erratic but his incontinent tweets, unstable policy pronouncements and generally odd behaviour do seem to indicate a problem.
His stance on NK is a good example, one day threatening fire and brimstone, the next calling for talks. This blustering old fool must be removed and soon. Is there a US equivalent of Section 47 Mental Health Act I wonder?

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Me too. Life's full of tripe as it is without adding more.

I think Trump and the Korean nutjob are on a par in the mental health states. Quite a few serious commentators are questioning Trump's mental competence. It was obvious in the campaign that he was uncontrolled, incoherent and erratic but his incontinent tweets, unstable policy pronouncements and generally odd behaviour do seem to indicate a problem.
His stance on NK is a good example, one day threatening fire and brimstone, the next calling for talks. This blustering old fool must be removed and soon. Is there a US equivalent of Section 47 Mental Health Act I wonder?

Exactly what the "pundits" are saying the irrational tweets are causing harm and not the way a POTUS exudes authority and gravitas.....

·
Banned
92 Posts
Exactly what the "pundits" are saying the irrational tweets are causing harm and not the way a POTUS exudes authority and gravitas.....
This is the New World Order - so prepare your elderly self for 7 1/2 years of America being Great Again and the UK still being their puppet ( unless they get nuked )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts