Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My husband is an Electronics Engineer but comes under Electronic Technician if I remember it right. He passed his assessment with Engineers Australia in January this year and after passing his IELTS test in June we got an extra 10 points. So now he has 60 points for the EOI.
We updated the EOI straight away last month and now we are hoping for an invitation to apply in July/August this year.
My husband is British and I am German.
Both of us passed the IELTS with an overall Band 8.
In October he gets an extra 5 points for his 8 years of working experience. He is 38 years old. I am 32 years old.

I looked at a few websites and most of them say that Electronics Technicians only get invited with 65 or 70 points now due to being pro rata? Does anyone know anything about this?
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hello everyone,
My husband is an Electronics Engineer but comes under Electronic Technician if I remember it right. He passed his assessment with Engineers Australia in January this year and after passing his IELTS test in June we got an extra 10 points. So now he has 60 points for the EOI.
We updated the EOI straight away last month and now we are hoping for an invitation to apply in July/August this year.
My husband is British and I am German.
Both of us passed the IELTS with an overall Band 8.
In October he gets an extra 5 points for his 8 years of working experience. He is 38 years old. I am 32 years old.

I looked at a few websites and most of them say that Electronics Technicians only get invited with 65 or 70 points now due to being pro rata? Does anyone know anything about this?
Thank you.
What's the occupation code ?

How much points your husband has in English ? 10 or 20 ? Proficient or Superior English.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I just checked and his occupation is Electronic Engineering Technician 312412.
He has 60 points for the 189 visa, 65 points for the 190 and 70 points for the 489 visa.
He got 10 points for the IELTS exam. So it's the proficient one. Band 7.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hi, I just checked and his occupation is Electronic Engineering Technician 312412.
He has 60 points for the 189 visa, 65 points for the 190 and 70 points for the 489 visa.
He got 10 points for the IELTS exam. So it's the proficient one. Band 7.
Unfortunately it seems like your husbands occupation is being removed from the list, so you won't get 189, 190 or 489. Someone better confirm. It was among those 200 occupations that were removed on 19 April 2017.

Only option now is to get another skills assessment that will lead to a occupation in MLTSSL list.

Here's the list for 2017-18 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L00850

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Sorry I got the code wrong! I just went back into his EOI it's 233914 Engineering Technologist!
Well then he needs 65 points and most likely long wait. If he can manage 70, then invite within 14 days. Once the ceilings and cut-off dates are known presumably around 19 July or later, a better prediction of when he will get invite can be assumed.

The best option right now is to take the English test again and get 10 more points and invite within 14 days with 70 points. If you can tell me how much he got in each band in IELTS, I can suggest which test will be more appropriate for him.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so it seems at the moment no one really knows. He had: Listening 8, Reading 7.5, Writing 7.5 and Speaking 8

He already struggled to get this result as his Reading and especially Writing is not good. His writing is very slow so he struggles to achieve the required words within the given time frame. My results were better and my first language is German. We talked about the other test as the other one is on a computer but he won't sit the test again for now.
I think for now we will wait and see if we get an invite this summer.
In October we get an extra 5 points for the 8 years work experience. Hopefully this will help if we don't get an invite this summer.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Okay so it seems at the moment no one really knows. He had: Listening 8, Reading 7.5, Writing 7.5 and Speaking 8

He already struggled to get this result as his Reading and especially Writing is not good. His writing is very slow so he struggles to achieve the required words within the given time frame. My results were better and my first language is German. We talked about the other test as the other one is on a computer but he won't sit the test again for now.
I think for now we will wait and see if we get an invite this summer.
In October we get an extra 5 points for the 8 years work experience. Hopefully this will help if we don't get an invite this summer.
Well yes, 65 points in October will get you back in queue for invite. But it could take long long time like March-April 2018 a possibility too to get invite or it could earlier too. So, if you not in a hurry, you may wait or try the PTE test as Writing is much easier but Reading on a par or slightly more difficult.

Plus everything is typed on a computer and no writing other than taking notes.

In any case, if he wants PTE, this might help : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/12015801-post16349.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your help. Yes we are not in a hurry to leave straight away. But we really want to leave the UK next summer so in 10-12 months from now.
So if we get an invite between November to March that would be ok too. But I think it can take up to 6 months to actually get the visa granted is that right?
Our dogs are ready to leave the UK from October this year and we would have to move within 12 months so slightly worried about that.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Thank you for your help. Yes we are not in a hurry to leave straight away. But we really want to leave the UK next summer so in 10-12 months from now.
So if we get an invite between November to March that would be ok too. But I think it can take up to 6 months to actually get the visa granted is that right?
Our dogs are ready to leave the UK from October this year and we would have to move within 12 months so slightly worried about that.
No. You can get visa within a month or two if you submit Complete Application depending on how busy DIBP is at a certain time.

People got grant from 7-20 days on average when they submitted Complete Application in March-April. Now it's taking long due to new year I assume.

This will explain : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/12199057-post3.html

In any case, June-August in Australia is cold, wet and depressing. So, consider that too !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In terms of the weather in Australia during June til August I found it much better than Scotland where we live now! I lived in Australia for two years mostly on the Central Coast of NSW. I found the weather to be sunny and pleasant and much nicer than here in Scotland. Here it's freezing cold and miserable. 0-15 C all year round. We are lucky to get 18C in summer.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
In terms of the weather in Australia during June til August I found it much better than Scotland where we live now! I lived in Australia for two years mostly on the Central Coast of NSW. I found the weather to be sunny and pleasant and much nicer than here in Scotland. Here it's freezing cold and miserable. 0-15 C all year round. We are lucky to get 18C in summer.
Oh yes good old Scotland, 11 months rain, 1 month summer !

You will probably find June-Aug summer compared to Scotland lol !

Saying so, I actually enjoyed the rain in England as I hate warm weather.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay I absolutely love the warm and sunny weather of Australia. Even liked Queensland with its heat. I am always ill here in Scotland.
Have to fight with sinus and lung infections all year round. Even my doctor says that I am not made for the Scottish weather lol.
Yes you're right it's basically 11 month rain and cold and then a bit of sun lol.
We always joke that this year's summer was a weekend in May. Haha.
My husband prefers a much warmer climate too which is great.
I heard that Melbourne is more like Europe with its 4 seasons.
I have friends there and apparently they're cold just now in the Aussie "winter".

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Okay I absolutely love the warm and sunny weather of Australia. Even liked Queensland with its heat. I am always ill here in Scotland.
Have to fight with sinus and lung infections all year round. Even my doctor says that I am not made for the Scottish weather lol.
Yes you're right it's basically 11 month rain and cold and then a bit of sun lol.
We always joke that this year's summer was a weekend in May. Haha.
My husband prefers a much warmer climate too which is great.
I heard that Melbourne is more like Europe with its 4 seasons.
I have friends there and apparently they're cold just now in the Aussie "winter".
Then it seems you need to move to Aus asap. It will do good for your health.

Well yes I have heard Melbourne weather similar to Europe which is why I am most interested to move there but may end up in Sydney as more jobs for my occupation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts